Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

PLEASE - for the upcoming riding season!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PLEASE - for the upcoming riding season!

Great post... +1 to everything you said.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most excellent advice!! I think you pretty much covered everything, so I haven't much to add.... just reiterate post #1

Please be careful out there guys.... I'm sick of reading RIP threads and going on memorial rides [:@]

My riding season never ended, but even here there's a good # of people that don't ride at all or very little during the winter months, and are just starting to come out again. Everybody is a little rusty after the winter hibernation, so go slow and give it some time to get back in the swing of things.

Speaking of spring.... I believe we have a "blessing of the bikes" ceremony coming up soon, next weekend I think... I'll probably head over there

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Great advice.... People just need to be cautious and use common sense.... That's what it really boils down to

Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 PM

That was a very good read. I am really enjoying all the care everyone has on here. Very good advice to ride by.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 PM

I'd like to especially chime in on #2 that was pointed out.I am truly addicted to corners. But the one thing that I take special care to do is I have taught myself LATE APEXING. Not sure if everyone is familiar with it, but you should definitely read up on it.

Be especially careful if you live in an area where you will need a couple of very good rains in order to wash off the remaining salt/sand. Not just the chunks, but the film left by it is also slippery. You can adjust tire pressure all you want for grip, but if the traction isn't there, grip doesn't matter.

Have just a little more self preservation on those first rides until your body gets back into the muscle memory habits. Otherwise, ride on my friends, ride on!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Illushun

I'd like to especially chime in on #2 that was pointed out.I am truly addicted to corners. But the one thing that I take special care to do is I have taught myself LATE APEXING. Not sure if everyone is familiar with it, but you should definitely read up on it.

same here. i bought a book that voodoo had recommended when i first got my bike and i'll tell you that is one of the most helpful things i took from it.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

I know if I am not on my bike for as little as two weeks, I am rusty, I could imagine that a long winter could really impact your skill lever for a bit.

BUT...as long as there are noobs buying new 600RRs there will be plenty of RIPs and 'I just crashed' threads. Accidents happen and they can happen to anyone (7 dead in Daytona this week), but the worst is ahead of us on this forum.

The way I understand it, current 600cc sportbikes have as almost much power as an early 1980s GP bike. Given humans haven't evolved to have greater abilities in that short time it only makes sense to me that noobs and near noobs can be in way over their head with an RR or F4/F4i. While many of us have done it, and survived, I think we depended way too much on luck to not have had a bad outcome from the decision to buy an F4i or RR as a first bike.

While I appreciate the spirit of this thread, if we want to reduce maiming, fatalities, and general crashes or even just have to see the post, we should discourage new riders from buyinga newer 600cc sportbike.