Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

please becareful

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please becareful

guys please becarefull when riding, i cannot stress this enough. friday i had to lay my RR down to avoid a young kid that ran a stop sign just a mile from my house. im a little beat up and the bike is rashed up, but other than that, all's good.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Default RE: please becareful

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you heal up quick. I also hope his insurance is paying for everything -- might be time to get a custom paint job.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 PM

sorry to hear about that. glad it wasn't any worse.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:40 PM

Sorry about your accident, but glad you are still well enough to right about it.....thanks for the reminder, we just can't be too careful....hope you get back in the saddle soon

Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K, good reflection, for all. Glad your not hurt worse... Heal well, and I'll see ya out there!!!!
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 PM

i had to lay my RR down to avoid a young kid that ran a stop sign
Why did you have to lay it down? It's alot easier to maneouver/brake a motorcycle while it's on its tires than when it's sliding on plastic/metal.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM

yeah i agree it is but when hes in a Escalade thats almost to the yellow line and oncomming trafic i had no choice but to either slam into his driver door or lay it down.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Im thinkin maybe there were a few things that could of been done to avoid this crash...since all of us who took a MSF class know there are no such things as accidents..im thinking swerve and brake or maybe use the horn or flash your lights or maybe u could of seen the situation sooner by paying more attn to the 12 second scan..my 2 cents but at either rate im glad you are ok.The moto can be fixed..i hope u are planning in taking this young kid who was driving a 50k automobile to court so that he can be held accountable for almost killing you.
Why were u riding so close to the yellow any way....?

Old 06-09-2006, 05:13 PM

i had slowed down for cars that where on the side of the road that were stopped for a garage sale. cars were on both sides of the road, this was in a rural area. i was scanning ahead and i didnt see the caddy untill it was in the intersection. in my area we never ride directly in the middle because of the amount of oil in the road(we dont have vehical checks here,so we have alot of beaters that leak all sorts of fluids on the roads), i was just off center to the left, and i did get on the brakes real hard. i had maybe 1 sec time to react. there was an off duty fireman that was at the house where it happened at and he said i did everything i could to avoid it. i had a choice of either tag the drivers side door or lay it down. speed limit was 55 and i was down to 40. i suppose we could debate what i could have done differently or maybe some areas i need to work on as a rider, but i just wanted to remind everyone to keep their eyes open for stupid drivers. if that includes me for failing to do more than i did than so be it.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Despite what MSF says, accidents do happen. Sometimes things happen so fast you don't have time to pick up on them. I've nailed birds (in a car) that dove out of the sky from the passenger side, had deer jump onto the road from behind brush and missed them by luck, and cars sitting on the side road of an intersection wait until I'm nearly there and then pull out in front of me. Well, that isn't a good example. I see them and get ready to stop hard, even slowing down a little before getting to the intersection. It's nice to think that with attention to the road and all that's around it we can avoid any collision, but in a small percentage of accidents, we can't.

It's entirely probably that with experience and practice you'll be able to pick up on a dangerous situation sooner, get ready for it sooner, and either brake harder or avoid it. In your case, I'll bet that next time you see a road narrowed by parked cars and an intersection visually blocked you'll slow down more than you did this time and maybe even move to your right a little. With practice you'll find that even in an emergency situation you'll squeeze the brakes on rather than slam them on and modulate them better, enabling you to stop more quickly. You can take comfort in the fact that all of us sitting in front of our computers typing out advice might just have done exactly what you did. It's real easy to quarterback from the easy chair. Not so easy to do it on the road.

Congratulations on surviving one of life's lessons. They're so darned hard because the test comes before the teaching.