Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

"pit manuever" a bike?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "pit manuever" a bike?!

If they ever did that there would be a lawsuit filed so fast that the county would go boke defending itself against deadly use of force. I think the guy was BSing you guys and trying to see if the number of runners would change if if word got out.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:07 PM

By the way, 'friend'

<-----

lmao.. I believe that's Calvert County, right Jason? lol..

"You realize your registration has been expired for over a year son..? Ooppss sorry I can't read, it's been expired since.. Oh a week ago... Well if your registration wasn't expired for over a year I wouldn't have to write you a ticket.. Crap what the hell am I say... It hasn't been a year, I'll just let you off with a warning."

WOOHOO hahaha, wish I had a warning for my 78 in a 55.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:08 PM

lol as long as pit manuevers don't include radio'ing another SUV cop, and having him head on lmao. That would not be good hahaha.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Itmay be challenged in court and if they ever do it and it will be ruled illegal. To perform a PIT on a bike is crazy because you are VERY likly to kill or cause serious injury to the rider(s).In order for a PIT to be used the criteria for using deadly force(eg a gun) must be met. And inorderfor the police to used deadly force onsomeone who is fleeingthem they must bea threat to the police or the public. IE a person fleeing the scene of a crime where they have already shot or shot at someone and they are still carrying the gun while running away, the police would beperfectly fine legally putting three rounds into the back of that guy.They cannot shoot a fleeing suspect ifsaid suspectis fleeing without a weapon and/or do not pose a serious threat to the public. THEREFORE, to me, you CANNOT use a PIT manueveron a fleeing rider UNLESS that person is weilding a gun or weapon or somehow poses a serious threat to public saftey. The bike fleeing alone does pose a threat large enough to justify killing the rider and or passenger as well asthe risk to the publicwhen the police vehicle itselfis in a high speed pursuit....if the bike hits another car, that car's occupants will be just fine, HOWEVER, if the police vehicle giving chase slams into another car....that could cause problems.....

so there is kind of a double wammy against using a PIT here.....I personally don't think it is constitutionally legal in using deadly force in this case and it puts the public at risk where is really should not be. And as far as I know, PA, NY and NJ you are not even allowed to do a PIT on anything let alone a bike.

You have to think about it this way. Can a police officer shoot a speeder just because they where speeding and won't stop? Are they allowed to pull you over, say you were speeding, you were doing 56 in a 25, put a bullet in you head and walk away? NO, HELL NO, therefore if they start a chase and end it with the rider dead, haven't they done the same thing if they knew that chasing said rider would end up killing them and what do you think the odds are that a PIT would end up with the rider dead?
basically, if anyone wants to put up any kind of fight it will be ruled illegal......

Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: dizzie56

a couple months ago they did that to somebody that a chick on the back, think it killed both of em. i dont run either, not worth it...unless your allready goin 120 and the cop is just sittin on the side of the road, dude will never catch up if you just take the next exit and a couple of turns.
Not to be a dick, but I find this hard to belive....are there any articals on it? Do you have any more info?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:29 PM

If it is Calvert county I'm not surprised, the cops down there love to practice on people and they LOVE giving speeding tickets, especially the State cops down off route 4 between Solomons and the nuclear power plant. I got one back in 1992 when I used to work at the plant.

You should contact the AMA about this policy, it has to be illegal. You guys that care really should join the AMA, we can only fight these **** power freaks by the strength of NUMBERS. (membership is only $39 per year and you get the monthly magazine, which ispretty good, similar to Cycle World, but covering all kinds of riding, motocross also)

Remember what Jim Morrison said...(Five to One) ...... "They got the guns but...... we got the numbers....... gonna win... yeah we're... TAKIN' OVER !!! COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ideas can change the world. If we get our AMA membership numbers up we can actually get Congress to listen. It looks like everyone is out to screw motorcyclists these days. Offroad riding areas are being shut down at a rate of about 50 million acres a year, and it's only going to get worse if we don't do anything. I just got my 3rd year membership, and I'm still pissed at myself that I didn't join 15 years ago.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Ironically, when we stopped at a gas station, a guy from the ABATE of MD gave us flyers and stuff about things they've been working on getting passed and all of that.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: TBFGhost

They cannot shoot a fleeing suspect ifsaid suspectis fleeing without a weapon and/or do not pose a serious threat to the public. THEREFORE, to me, you CANNOT use a PIT manueveron a fleeing rider UNLESS that person is weilding a gun or weapon or somehow poses a serious threat to public saftey. The bike fleeing alone does pose a threat large enough to justify killing the rider and or passenger as well asthe risk to the publicwhen the police vehicle itselfis in a high speed pursuit....if the bike hits another car, that car's occupants will be just fine, HOWEVER, if the police vehicle giving chase slams into another car....that could cause problems.....

So while your running from the cops at 150mph and slam into the side of my wife's Prius, you can guarantee me she will walk away just fine. No bumps, no bruises, no mental issues from seeing your body parts fly thru her car. Sorry i disagree with you completely, as far as i am concerned you running is a threat to public safety, and that big *** police cruiser wouldnt be chasing you either if you just pulled over and took it like a man.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

ORIGINAL: TBFGhost

They cannot shoot a fleeing suspect ifsaid suspectis fleeing without a weapon and/or do not pose a serious threat to the public. THEREFORE, to me, you CANNOT use a PIT manueveron a fleeing rider UNLESS that person is weilding a gun or weapon or somehow poses a serious threat to public saftey. The bike fleeing alone does pose a threat large enough to justify killing the rider and or passenger as well asthe risk to the publicwhen the police vehicle itselfis in a high speed pursuit....if the bike hits another car, that car's occupants will be just fine, HOWEVER, if the police vehicle giving chase slams into another car....that could cause problems.....

So while your running from the cops at 150mph and slam into the side of my wife's Prius, you can guarantee me she will walk away just fine. No bumps, no bruises, no mental issues from seeing your body parts fly thru her car. Sorry i disagree with you completely, as far as i am concerned you running is a threat to public safety, and that big *** police cruiser wouldnt be chasing you either if you just pulled over and took it like a man.
Ok granted a rider isn't the only one at risk while running...but seriously think about it....no man down here on Gods green earth should be able to make a decision to take another mans life when he/she hasn't done a single thing to kill another person...someone will argue "well they are putting people at risk and can POSSIBLY kill someone by running" Possibly?! They HAVEN'T and some stupid cop cannot see the future and make that choice of taking a rider down, 600 pounds vs 2 tons(average police SUV)...W...T....F?! Cops are getting out of control with these power missions and living behind the badge...i hope any cop that does this to a rider(and kills them) who hasn't done anything but speed flips their SUV over right after and kills themself

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

VERY well put! +1 trillion.