Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Picking your riding friends

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking your riding friends

During school we have alot of biker dudes over here. But its hard to choose who to ride with. For example have you ever started talking to a fellow sports bike crowd and decided to go cruising on saturday? After you guys meet up you notice one man wearing gym shorts, and a helmet+Gloves, and the other in jeans and a t-shirt, While you are dressed in a jacket helmet+gloves. Isnt it an awkward moment? Not neccessary embarasing, but just over dressed for the ride (even though your not) I've been reading the back tires of my peers and chose my riding buddies after a quick scan. What do you guys do? Its funny how many different styles people acually ride. Some enjoy twisties, others enjoy launching at every fing red light, and others like to sit around and watch each other do wheelies. But they never acually all out ride. Hitting the twisties, seeing back country sides, and speeding along an empty freeway. Well, at least that what i enjoy doing, but thats just me.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM

I don't judge people by what they wear while riding. I have on occasion dressed down to ride, jeans helmet and gloves.

I DO NOT always wear my jacket, especially in the summer when temps can be over 100 degrees for weeks at a time. And while some people may think this not to smart of me.....it is a choice I make.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 PM

Yeah I don't always wear my jacket but I just don't ride without my gloves (I think from riding dirt all the time I'm just used to them.....feels like I'm naked without them!) Forget about shorts! I know when I ride I will end up being an idiot for a while and really feel uncomfortable in shorts. I do look at other rider's chicken strips and judge, but I try not to. I think it's fun to ride with all types of riders. They may not be the fastest but I have a bunch of good friends that I've met through rides that can't keep up....lol.....I just don't like them behind me under hard braking!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 PM

I usually judge people riding by looking at there strips, lol i have to admit, i think it tells you alot about the other rider. Especialy if he has 2inch chicken strips lol i rode with one of those guys before, they are all cool and everything but it was just funny haha he didnt want to hit the twisties because his tires were so bad. so we just went straight, i couldnt blaim him. I also dont always wear a jacket also especially when im going to school or the market or whatever. But when i go cruise i usually do, because it can get dangerous!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess my criteria is "Do they have any sense?". So that includes the gear they wear. And what they talk about. What they call a 'fun ride'. Ect.

Basically I don't ride with anyone immediately. They've got to prove they're not gonna endanger me, themselves or others while I'm with them. But if I first meet them and they aren't wearing gear, it'll be an uphill battle.

Their skill level is immaterial. Everyone started somewhere.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
i guess my criteria is "Do they have any sense?". So that includes the gear they wear. And what they talk about. What they call a 'fun ride'. Ect.

Basically I don't ride with anyone immediately. They've got to prove they're not gonna endanger me, themselves or others while I'm with them. But if I first meet them and they aren't wearing gear, it'll be an uphill battle.

Their skill level is immaterial. Everyone started somewhere.

i want to ride with you bro! Your exactly the person I would want to ride with. I am not gonna ride with someone who flies in and out of traffic. I don't like lane splitting and I don't like when people do stunts when I'm riding with them. I have seen plenty of video's of stunters crashing and taking out another biker because of a stupid trick. Theirs a time and place for everything

Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM

lol this is a good topic. Cuz all my friends just got bikes and they are brand spanking new to riding. So I am more concerned about if they can even make a turn or not. If they can ride well then they can ride with me.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't found any "riding buddies" since returning to the US, but I figure I'll give anyone a chance regardless of what they're wearing. I've been squidded out riding from time to time, but at the end of the day it just depends on whether they're gonna get me into trouble. I figure if I ever find myself in a group that rides too dangerously I'll just say I'm still a beginner and can't keep up. If they're cool enough to hang back and ride safe then "COOL!", if not then so be it and move on.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
I haven't found any "riding buddies" since returning to the US, but I figure I'll give anyone a chance regardless of what they're wearing. I've been squidded out riding from time to time, but at the end of the day it just depends on whether they're gonna get me into trouble. I figure if I ever find myself in a group that rides too dangerously I'll just say I'm still a beginner and can't keep up. If they're cool enough to hang back and ride safe then "COOL!", if not then so be it and move on.
Where are you from? Where in Jersey?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Union County, but I work in Lincroft... I think that's Monmouth County.

Quick Reply: Picking your riding friends