Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Philosophy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Philosophy?

Any of you guys interested in sharing what you think? How you think? How you look at others?

For me, I really don't know what to think. I'm not religious at all, because it seems to be counterproductive to the free thought that I enjoy so much. With how things work though, Karma always seems to be the best answer, but it seems so general. And calling anything the result of 'bad karma' is just post hoc reasoning (ex: it rained yesterday so my computer is slow. the reasoning doesn't justify the result) Like I used a false reason to skip work last Friday, and now I'm having relationship problems. Yeah, that could be Karma, but you can't prove it either way.

In everyday life if I have to do something that is questionably moral, I do this test:

If everyone did it, what would the world be like?

So if I want to skip work, I say "well if everyone skips work, then there would be no work to skip, because there are no jobs, because there are no employees" And that, in my mind, makes it wrong, and I usually end up dragging myself to work.

That explains my views on everything else. I don't really dislike anyone for the reason that everyone has a good side to them. Like as an example, my coworker has the worst attitude ever. He complains and all of my other coworkers hate him. I don't, because when he has to work, he shuts up and works. He's a stand up guy. Yeah he is annoying, but who cares. So am I. So is everyone else. Everyone contributes to this world, and if there were no jerks, how would we appreciate nice people? But I'm not perfect. I find myself getting mad at people for stupid reasons and calling them names sometimes.

If there were no GSXR riders, how would we appreciate non-squids? JK haha I'm a new rider, so technically I'm a squid, other than that I wear all my gear.

Hope you made it through the post...So how do you go about life? There's a diverse community here and it seems like we could all learn from each other.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I follow the way of Taoist living, but maybe with my own spice in it
I don't think of it as religion or philosophy. It is just how I live.

go with flow like water.. treat others the way you want to be treated.. look at positive side of every situation.. past is already gone, future may never come, so live 100% now... love myself and others...true to myself

I'm only human so I am not perfect. I would catch myself acting or thinking in the way I don't like

Last edited by yumoncbr; 04-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Zilla, i see your location says Midlothian....would that be in VA?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 PM

I don't have a religious philosophy. I do however believe in a God, I also believe that "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy'
My personal philosophy used to be "Do unto others, before they do it to you". But now it's "Do what you like, cause I don't give a sh*t". I've found as you get older, you become more cynical of your fellow humans & its easy to fall into the Grumpy old man cliche.
Peace, Love & Mung beans is all very well, but you have to earn it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnHoqHscTKE

Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
fall into the Grumpy old man cliche.
Ha ha, I got more mellow as I got older. I can handle other people's short coming much better than when I was young. I think I will be a little nice old lady. lol

Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM

I don't believe in karma, but I think that making the situation around you better in some way end up makes things better for you as well.

Imagine if you have a gallon of cold water, and you do nothing. It's still cold. Then imagine if you add a cup of warm water. Just adding a cup doesn't do much, but still the whole gallon gets just a little bit warmer. You've expended the energy, but the situation gets a little tiny bit better for everyone.

There's my metaphor for the week.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM

It's Midlothian Il. Not Va.

And Yumon I don't know anything about Taoism, care to summarize it real quick? I'd rather hear it from a human being than to look it up on wikipedia.

And I guess I don't really believe in anything now that I think about it. I've always told my dad (who is Lutheran) that I believe in and follow myself, not any religion. Which is hard when things get tough because I have nobody but myself to look to. No god, no nothing. It's getting easier because it's making me become more dependable and responsible, but really. Why do I have to be so introspective?!? I wish I could just accept a religion....

I'm interested to see if anyone has switched religions. Eh? Seems like that's a pretty radical change to evoke in your life.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
August 2011 ROTM

[QUOTE=comodidit;1035252]I don't believe in karma, but I think that making the situation around you better in some way end up makes things better for you as well./QUOTE]

I agree completely.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM

My advice to myself is "remain God fearing" and be "humble". There is one religion I dont agree with due to my military experiences but I wont speak on it because this will get locked! Plus I dont need to offend anybody else who may take offense to it.

One thing Ive seen in life is the good people are more punished than the bad people....But it all comes to an end...eventually!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Philosophy |..........v.|..............| Religion

So far, I'm allowing this thread to continue -- just keep the meter pointed in the right direction. That's not to say another Mod won't come along and think it's already over the border.

Just to remind everyone, Religion and Politics are moderated on this forum. (B.2.a.)

Quick Reply: Philosophy?