Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Personal video full of mistakes... For your viewing pleaseure

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal video full of mistakes... For your viewing pleaseure

So like I said in the other thread, it's been an interestingcouple of days of recording.

Anyway, here is another video ready for dissection. You'll see a handfull of things happen in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aZ423TLGqY

First, I didn't listen to my bike. I've been riding this thing for I don't know how many miles and the bike told me it was getting thirsty and I didn't switch to reserve. So first thing in the video you'll hear me say that the bike is idling a little low. I blipped the throttle and it seemed to come out of it... I continue on.

About halfway through ( ), you'll see the RPM's just drop. At that point I'm in a right sweeper and I reach down to switch to reserve and ol' boy in a red Grand Am tries to make me a hood orniment. I made eye contact with him but not before I downshift without the proper rev matching so you'll see a bit of tire-hop as we make eye contact.

After that little scene you'll see I'm back at the spot where I filmed the cornering lines video. There is another mistake here as I didn't use "proper" shifting technique. You'll see I go from 1st to 2nd while in a decent lean. Watch this and pay attention... you'll see when I make the shift to 2nd that that little split second where the bike isn't under the power of the engine, it makes the bike want to stand straight up. This is generally why sprocket gearing plays such a critical role to racers - you want to be able to make your entrance and exit in the same gear not having to shift (well their reason is more for lap time but we'll let that slide). Anyway, that mistake could have cost me as you'll see I creep over to the fog line at a pretty decent speed.

Sooo...

To sum up,

- I didn't listen to what the bike was telling me - LISTEN!
- I made an effort to switch to reserve in an inappropriate area - put yourself in the most visable areas if/when you need to make any changes while on the street. I did it in a sweeper with a hill obstructing me view and the view of me from an intersecting road that I know is there... bad choice!
- In the spirit of a, well, spirited ride - I shifted gears while the bike was still producing most of it's torque and horsepower in a corner. Basically flirting with physics which is a bad idea.

Anyway, once again, I don't claim to be an expert but if I can help someone by showing you my mistakes then I'm all for it. So long as I'm posting the mistakes and not Rangerscott with a new thread titled, "Check out this squid wad up his bike..."

Also, feel free to critique, but please keep it civil (yes I know I may be openining Pandoras box). If I need to make keyboard smilies in a size 12 font, lemme know...

Old 05-26-2008, 03:50 AM
Banned
Default RE: Personal video full of mistakes... For your viewing pleaseure

P.S. Sorry for the glare - this was shot before RCR offered up some advice for that... sorry!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No wonder it's scary, your riding on the wrong side of the road! Mate we all make mistakes & changing down while still in peak is probably the most common one. Hey, you either get away with it or you don't, & you did, so no biggie. As for switching over to reserve, you need petrol to keep moving (& sometimes they can be real buggers to restart if they suck up the last bits of fuel) yeah it was wrong timing, but I've done it to. Still, nice to hear your bike (sounded kind of familiar!)

Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Retired Administrator

What was the advice RCR gave you for the glare?

Old 05-26-2008, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

What was the advice RCR gave you for the glare?
Don't be facing the sun while you ride.

Or you can get one of those UV filters, it helped on my camcorder and was only like $10.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Retired Administrator

A polarizing filter will help with the glare on the screen, UV will help if the sun hits the lens.

"Don't ride into the sun" is a little hard at times. Thought maybe you guys had a secret

Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 PM

o0o0o that coulda hurt. On the glare thing, I shoot thru my smoked ws so I havent had that issue 'yet' lol

Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM

I didnt see where the GrandAm almost plastered you, it looked like he was stopped well prior to you getting there. Was it after the camera couldnt see the car anymore?

Old 05-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

No, and you're right, it's a bit tough to tell.

The stop sign for that street is well behind him, when you saw him rolling forward, he was probably a car length in front of it so while I didn't see him stop (couldn't see the sign when he would have) he was definitely moving into the intersection.

Trust me, I won't get some rear chatter everytime someone looks like they're going to pull out, lol .

That's something else I've noticed from recording my riding... you think you're getting some nice speed and when you watch it over it looks like you're crawling. Goes to show you - those MotoGP guyslook like they're going fast so....

Anyway the idea RCR suggested was a black cloth on the dash (still wondering what he meant about my speedometer... [&:]).

Playful, my windscreen is a smoked PitEck DB.

The GF would shoot me if I started spending money on another hobby (lenses and what not). I can't just go out and buy a lens for $10. I have to get a tripod, camera case, wide angle lens, etc. Have I mentioned I'm **** with money? Way too impulsive.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

No, and you're right, it's a bit tough to tell.

The stop sign for that street is well behind him, when you saw him rolling forward, he was probably a car length in front of it so while I didn't see him stop (couldn't see the sign when he would have) he was definitely moving into the intersection.

Trust me, I won't get some rear chatter everytime someone looks like they're going to pull out, lol .

That's something else I've noticed from recording my riding... you think you're getting some nice speed and when you watch it over it looks like you're crawling. Goes to show you - those MotoGP guyslook like they're going fast so....

Anyway the idea RCR suggested was a black cloth on the dash (still wondering what he meant about my speedometer... [&:]).

Playful, my windscreen is a smoked PitEck DB.

The GF would shoot me if I started spending money on another hobby (lenses and what not). I can't just go out and buy a lens for $10. I have to get a tripod, camera case, wide angle lens, etc. Have I mentioned I'm **** with money? Way too impulsive.
I aim my camera so it just barely shows the top dege of the tach, n none of the speedo, for a few reasons lol.

Quick Reply: Personal video full of mistakes... For your viewing pleaseure