Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

PC gamer help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC gamer help

I'm gonna build a new PC but I've been lazy and havent really kept up with times. I pretty much use my pc for gaming, movies/music, and ****..........I mean internet use.

Here's my setup now and these are the only things that need to be upgraded.

AMD FX-55
DDR400 2gbs
(2x) BFG 7800gt oc's
asus a8n-sli motherboard

I've been with AMD for the last two PC's and have enjoyed both, but I will switch to Intel if need be.

Here is what I've been looking at.

AMD X2 6400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103191

w/ Asus crosshair 590sli
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131593

Also looking at the Intel Quad core.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017

I'm not sure what mobo to stick the quad on since my last Intel setup was a Pentium 1. LOL

I'm also not sure on what ram I'll use but I do know I'll use DDR2 800 or higher (what ever the highest the mobo supports).

Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Default RE: PC gamer help

Not sure of your budget and thats a big part of it when selection parts as you know. The Intel Core 2 Duos have been the sh17 for sometime now. I highly suggest going over to Intel atm. They are extremely overclock able. Also the Asus P5 series combined w/ the Core 2 have been on all the top systems. All the overclockers are using the Asus P5N32 or P5B. I'v also heard a few things from the Gigabyte brand too. Not sure on what ones are good atm. It will require you go to DDR2. The best videocard out is the Geforce 8800 Ultra. For the price its not worth it. Its basicly an overclocked 8800GTX which you can overclock your own and save $100. The Radeon 2900XT has been neck and neck with the 8800 series. So really its whatever you preference or whoever comes out with better drivers down the road. The lowend 8400-8600 series come in next. Although, the 1950XT will outpreform in DirectX 9 vs the 8400 but the 8400 will play directx 10, the 1950 is 9 only. So far, everything still supports DX9 or they will lose big money by going DX10 only.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 PM

yeah i would go with Q6600 intel for your CPU, you can over-clock it easily to 3.2 on air-cooling (not including if it's G0 stepping, but it's a luck of the draw of finding one of those so cross your fingers and pray to god)

just geta one 8800GTX and O/C it, fairly easy and then you can always upgrade and throw a 2nd for SLi when you like later on (they are alittle pricey)

i hear all OZ 2GB (2+1GB) are pretty good.. from what i hear - OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition:
here is the link - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...ry_grouptest/1
(dont touch DDR3 yet, too expensive and it's like throwing money at a stripper - might be nice to look cool for that time but it will get old fast)

try to get anything EVGA too - best brand company for customer service and product, i try not to be bias on everything.. i just look for the best quality and price - but they seem to be them.

(and i'm an AMD fan also, i always hated Intel - but for performance to price wise with O/Cing, it's just way better then AMD)
cant wait to build my system myself, almost got enough... GTX's are costly, and still got to save up for Watercooling system..

Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 PM

On the ram I'll go the highes the mobo supports, so the ram in vid card are gonna be the last bits I buy. On the vid card if I cant find a good deal on the 640mb version then I'll settle for the 320mb version.

I read that the quad core q6600 I posted has a locked multiplier. No overclocking but a person post in newegg their review and posted they had it over 3ghz. I wonder how he unlocked it? Intel has always been **** about overclocking.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Memory ICUs

The handpicked Mircons have been the most overclockable sticks

Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

On the ram I'll go the highes the mobo supports, so the ram in vid card are gonna be the last bits I buy. On the vid card if I cant find a good deal on the 640mb version then I'll settle for the 320mb version.

I read that the quad core q6600 I posted has a locked multiplier. No overclocking but a person post in newegg their review and posted they had it over 3ghz. I wonder how he unlocked it? Intel has always been **** about overclocking.
You sure you know how to overclock? Buying the best Ram before your videocard, unless you have an unlimited budget, is a bad idea. You can still overclock with the multiplyer locked. You raise the FSB. A lot of the intels are multiplyer locked.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

You sure you know how to overclock? Buying the best Ram before your videocard, unless you have an unlimited budget, is a bad idea. You can still overclock with the multiplyer locked. You raise the FSB. A lot of the intels are multiplyer locked.

Yes I know how to overclock. I have my FX-55 almost to 3ghz.

What do you mean buying ram before the vid is bad?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:27 PM

Do you have a budget? Other wise it wouldn't matter but putting memory more of a pritory than the videocard for a gaming pc? What makes you think the 640mb card will outpreform the 320? Why not just get another stick of memory for the price difference of the 640?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Do you have a budget? Other wise it wouldn't matter but putting memory more of a pritory than the videocard for a gaming pc? What makes you think the 640mb card will outpreform the 320? Why not just get another stick of memory for the price difference of the 640?

I'm like a G-dog on the fly tip. LOL I'm not buying everytang at once. I vid card is gonna be last cause hopefully a price drop will happen or I'll find a deal. Ram always has good deals. I'm sure I'll go with OC'Z since thats what I have now.

I've been reading article after article about the difference between the 320mb and the 640mb. The 640mb does make a difference. Maybe not much now, but when games more demanding than Bioshock (maybe UT3) come out later on in life, it'll be all good with the 640mb.

Like I said. I like to get everytang the first time then later on trading out parts for something else.

I dont know if you know but selling PC parts sucks ***. Prices drop so fast and people dont know if it works and blah blah. I still have an AMD 3800 I've been trying to sell for almost a year.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm like a G-dog on the fly tip.
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!?!? (money talks muhaha)

but yeah, dont buy piece by piece.. if your gonna build a PC - save up and buy it all at once.. because if you just upgrade things one by one, your gonna have bottlenecks everywhere and gets annoying as F***. the only thing for upgrades is SLi and more RAM..

i seriously say hold out till novemeber (i know that sh*t is far away but it will go fast) this will be your best bet to get an awesome deal and price drops.. it's all up to you, but that's what im waiting for. it's just my 2 cents..

Quick Reply: PC gamer help