Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Part out or fix up and sell.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part out or fix up and sell.

Hey guys I'm a newb for this forum, but I need some advice. I have an 04 f4i thats in pretty decent condition considering it has been crashed. It def needs a new gas tank, front rim and tire, stator cover, front fairing and visor, and shifter in order to ride. To look good, needs all new fairings and crowls, new clutch cluster along with horn cluster, gas tank hole cover, some new fluids, and alot of tlc of course. Now is it worth it to fix it up, or part it out, for everything else is perfect. Only about 7k miles on her.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 PM

Well did you buy it crashed or did you crash it yourself and how much did you pay for it? If you want the bike youre probably looking at at LEAST $1000 on the low end to fix it up. If you get all new stuff youre looking at about $4-600 for fairings, you could prob find a front wheel and tire or wheel/tire/rotor combo on ebay for $2-300, $1-200 for the gauges, you can get a cheap gas cap that doesnt use a key for like $30, you could prob get a stator cover anywhere from $20-50, and theres a whole left clip-on with the clutch and all controls on ebay for $80 right now, otherwise just the light and horn switch controls you can get for about $50 if you dont need all that. As your bike sits now i probably wouldnt pay more than 2k for it. So do some math and decide whats better for you or if you want it or not.

edit: here are some links for you if you decide to fix it up in the near future....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F4i-C...ht_1048wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...s#ht_500wt_956

Last edited by nickp123; 03-22-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Well lets just say I got it as a gift. And thanks man I've been lookin on ebay and your prices seem to match up. How much you think this bike will be worth after I fix it up, 4k?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Well in THAT case i say you might as well just spend the $1000-1500 on it and you have yourself a nice little bike or yeah you can easily turn around to sell it for $3-4000. So my votes for fix it.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jurtinus
Well lets just say I got it as a gift. And thanks man I've been lookin on ebay and your prices seem to match up. How much you think this bike will be worth after I fix it up, 4k?
you would have to get her damn good fixed up to get 4k i would imagine. The way i would look at the situation would be to put enough money in it to ride it, not to sell it. If thats the idea, part it out now and start saving your money for a new bike.

think of going streetfighter??
a stator cover is like a hundo, no need for plastics, get a stunt tank for cheap, paint her up and you got yourself a hot little cruzer.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, i wouldn't give 4 grand for an f4i I knew had been down; maybe 3. but it's always a gamble and hassle to part stuff out.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM

Im not lookin to ride her for long, I need money for school. I would imagine selling her whole is the better idea, but in order to do that I need plastics unless I come across someone who would prefer her bare, which isn't very likely. If you guys want I can put up picture of the damage to give u a better idea.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Honestly, if you plan to sell it, I would just part it out. The engine, frame (if it's straight and has a clean title), and forks (if straight) alone should net you over $1,200. Depending on how many good parts are there you might even be looking close to $2,000. Even if you fix it up really well I think you'd be looking at about $3,000 tops when you sell it and if you dump $1,500-2,000 into the bike, plus your labor, I just don't think it would be worth it.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
Honestly, if you plan to sell it, I would just part it out. The engine, frame (if it's straight and has a clean title), and forks (if straight) alone should net you over $1,200. Depending on how many good parts are there you might even be looking close to $2,000. Even if you fix it up really well I think you'd be looking at about $3,000 tops when you sell it and if you dump $1,500-2,000 into the bike, plus your labor, I just don't think it would be worth it.
Well honestly Im down for the labor, it'll be a learning experience! But do u really think I need to put that much money down on her?

And thanks for everyones advice and opinions, it really helps me since Im so new to this game. I really appreciate it!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jurtinus
Well honestly Im down for the labor, it'll be a learning experience! But do u really think I need to put that much money down on her?

And thanks for everyones advice and opinions, it really helps me since Im so new to this game. I really appreciate it!
It could definitely be a fun project if you're willing to put the time into it. Personally, I wouldn't mind building a bike that I plan to ride, I'm just saying I wouldn't plan to make much money off of it once it's done.

If you plan on replacing the plastics too I don't think $1,500-2,000 is too far off. There are also always suprises that come along that you might not have expected. For example, the front wheel is bent, forks could possibly be tweaked, front brake rotors and/or calipers could need replacing. If the body work is trashed, what about the headlight and front fairing stay? Are the handlebars tweaked? Subframe? Exhaust?

Pics would definitely help us give a better estimate, but definitely try to account for some other things that might pop up as you investigate further.

Quick Reply: Part out or fix up and sell.