Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Parking Lot = Private property...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Lot = Private property...

I was reading another legal post about parking lots being private property. So if i knew the pastor of a church parking lot and he said it was ok if i practiced stunts in the parking lot would the police be able to say anything?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Default RE: Parking Lot = Private property...

They might say something. i would get a letter saying you can be thier and so forththey might end up giving you a trepassing ticket if you don't have a letter, especially if its in a church parking lot. Only thing that saved me from a ticket was a letter with a phone number.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. A parking lot that is accessible to the public is still grounds for being ticketed, regardless if you have the owners permission or not. Now, if the private property is gated off from the public, then yes, it's legal.........sort of (you'll have to check with your local laws, because it varies by state).

Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 AM

You definately need to find out what your states laws are. This is Ohios for example: (Taken from our state code website) http://codes.ohio.gov/

4511.201-Operation off street or highway in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property.

(A) No person shall operate a vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar on any public or private property other than streets or highways, in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property.

This section does not apply to the competitive operation of vehicles on public or private property when the owner of such property knowingly permits such operation thereon.

(B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Sorry for the length, but I thought I would include the ending for anyone that might live in ohio as it is very precise on what you can be charged with and how the penalty increases.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 AM

If it is a privatley maintained road/parking lot/parking garage/airport runway and you have the owner's permission, the police can write you as many tickets as they want, you can have them all thrown out when it goes to court. They will prbably still write the ticket though.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 PM

hey just go get some buckets and put wood across the two or throw some cones with caution tape up on the entrances....no public entrance then....and put some sign up that your some pro,

Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM

What about in your drive way or like some people, they have a tennis cort in their yard??

Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRCRF

What about in your drive way or like some people, they have a tennis cort in their yard??
The officer would need to secure a warrant to step foot on your property(assuming it was properly posted).

Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 PM

It just seems kind of weird that you could have permission to be in a parking lot that is private property and still get a ticket. (Would'nt) the cop need a warrent for that too?) There was this church by my old house that I used to skate at because it had a kill a$$ gap to skate. Well it was private property and the cops never bothered us. But then kids started vandalizing the place and the owner said no more. Well I didnt know that, andwas there one day skating. Well a cop pulled up and told me what was going on and said I cant be here anymore. And that he was to issue tresspassing tickets to anyone who was there. He let me go because he said that he could see that I was not doing anything wrong to the property. So what Im getting at is,it seems like that all they can do is give you atresspassing ticket at the worst. I dont know!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Just run caution tape across the entrances.Then it is legally not open to the public. stunters in fl do this and cops can't touch them

as in a warrant. no. if a cop see a crime in progress he can do what he wants. Now if he is told there is a crime and doesn't witness it then he needs a warrant

Quick Reply: Parking Lot = Private property...