Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Parents Proposal....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parents Proposal....

So, I went home for the weekend, basically to give the money I sold my bike for to my parents. And they had made a proposal to me.

Since they hated the bike all together to begin with, then I obviously didnt help the matter by crashing they came up with this.

They said since they paid my sisters car insurance till she graduated college and paid for her a wedding, they thought it would be fair if they help me out a little, since I went the cheap route AKA the military.

(My car insurance bills go to my parents, and I write them a check every month, just easier right now. Still my own policy and what not, not even the same insurance co. as the rents)So They said what you pay on your car insurance, they will take my money and match it, put it in a bank account, and I cant touch it till I either get out of the military, or re-enlist. Here is the catch. They said I would not be able to buy a bike with that money, nor go buy one now and start collecting their money. FYI my enlistment is up in Feb. 2011. So a little less than 3 years.

Thanks for reading, please gimme yer input. Anything

Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Parents Proposal....

Sounds like a good deal :-) .. provided you can live without the bike for a while ... they're only acting out of love and concern for your safety ... but at the end of the day only you can decide if you can live with this ... weigh up just how much you might use a bike before coming out versus the money put away and waiting for you ...

Jules

Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 AM

Oh, welcome back Jules! When did you sneak back in here?

Anyways.

Yes, there are so many options to weigh. They said I can spend the money any way I so choose to do so, after the re-enlistment, or getting out, so car, house, save, pretty much anything as long as it is not on 2 wheels. lol.

I know it is an excellent way to save money right now, and can accumualte a pretty good amount in 3 years. But I dont know if I really even want to rely on "mommy and daddy" you know what I mean?

And who knows where I'll be in life in 3 years. I mean maybe, possibly, hopefully, someday Ill be married, lol and would be looking to get settled in and everything so Im completely undecided at this point.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 AM
Banned

You either gotta replace the feeling the bike gave you with something else or say thanks but no thanks.

That's what I would do...

Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Martin_D

Oh, welcome back Jules! When did you sneak back in here?

Anyways.

Yes, there are so many options to weigh. They said I can spend the money any way I so choose to do so, after the re-enlistment, or getting out, so car, house, save, pretty much anything as long as it is not on 2 wheels. lol.

I know it is an excellent way to save money right now, and can accumualte a pretty good amount in 3 years. But I dont know if I really even want to rely on "mommy and daddy" you know what I mean?

And who knows where I'll be in life in 3 years. I mean maybe, possibly, hopefully, someday Ill be married, lol and would be looking to get settled in and everything so Im completely undecided at this point.

Thank you :-) ...I got home Sunday late ..

It's hard to argue against a decent amount of savings ... you're only young aren't you so bikes can come again later ... don't decide yet though, I'm sure they'll give you plenty of breathing space ..they love you ... what else are they going to do? :-)

Jules

Old 04-29-2008, 03:38 AM

Kid- How can I replace the feeling that the bike gave me? Besides another bike?

Jules- Yes Im young, Im 20 years old. I know still got a life time ahead of me, but once you ride your addicted.

Too many things going on in life right now!!!! Why do they always have to come at once?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 AM

So you parents are proposing to match your car insurance payment into a savings account, right? And you won't be able to buy a bike until you're out of the Military in 2011, and have already spent all of the money they helped you save for three years?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Martin_D

Kid- How can I replace the feeling that the bike gave me? Besides another bike?

Jules- Yes Im young, Im 20 years old. I know still got a life time ahead of me, but once you ride your addicted.

Too many things going on in life right now!!!! Why do they always have to come at once?
You can't directly repalce the bike or it's feelings .. you can do other things to take your mind off it .. for instance I absolutley love Kaying anywhere and everywhere I can .. I do it in the sea , lakes or even just down the canals here .. just me and the boat and my ipod ...it's another way to chill and be in your own world plus it keeps you fit ... I'm a bit of a water baby though ...there will be something for you out there ...as for life it's just a test ..embrace it ...it's all good :-)

Jules

Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 AM

No, If i take them up on the proposal, I CAN NOT buy a bike when im out. The savings has not even started yet, it would start as soon as I tell them and then in 3 years I can take the money, but not for a bike.

Pretty much I would be making a promise to my parents not to buy a bike now, then, anytime pretty much.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the offer - there's more to life than bikes.......
I saw a similar offer made to a friend, he took it, and never looked back, for twenty years.....then, when his kids were grown, he bought another bike.
Your folks are concerned for your welfare - you're lucky to have family that have the funds to do it, and the concern they show for you.
I was off bikes for a good few years, bought one out of my own money eventually again, still riding, and hope to be for a good while yet......
Ask them if they'd rather you took up skydiving...........he he

Quick Reply: Parents Proposal....