Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Paintballs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintballs

Hey everyone,

I have a box of around 2000 paintballs that have been sitting in my closet for a couple years now. I was thinking of going to go play sometime soon and really wanted to use those up. The only problem is, they are kinda stuck together. None of them have burst, but the oils on the outside have kind of glued them together.

Any ideas if they can be cleaned and re-oiled for use? Or are they complete waste?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never shot a paintball gun. However, a Google search just now said something about putting them in a freezer to maybe get them apart.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM

I'd run warm water over a few and see if they come apart. If they do you could probably dump all of them in a bucket of water and swish it around, then drain and let them dry.

Once you get a few dry, make sure they fire and break well. I've been hit with old paintballs that had hardened and they hurt like a ****.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by comodidit
I'd run warm water over a few and see if they come apart. If they do you could probably dump all of them in a bucket of water and swish it around, then drain and let them dry.

Once you get a few dry, make sure they fire and break well. I've been hit with old paintballs that had hardened and they hurt like a ****.
But if you put them in water, won't the oils on the outside be washed off? Aren't they oily so they can get shot out of the gun with ease? I think it would compare to rifling on a normal gun.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by comodidit

If you go this route do it quickly as they will absorb water, not sure if you've ever seen them laying around the courses but I've seen some that have swelled to bigger than a golf ball.

Overall they may be fine to shoot, the might break or chop though, but I wouldn't recommend playing with them. As a rule of thumb you're supposed to "turn" the bags (flip them over/ move them around) every couple of days to keep paint from settling to one side. With that said, since its been years they are going to fly everywhere but straight because their overall weight isn't evenly distributed within the shell because of the settled paint. So, they're most likely going to mis-shaped, uneven, and dimpled.

Sucks its an entire case, stuffs relatively expensive.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 04_CBR_600rr
But if you put them in water, won't the oils on the outside be washed off? Aren't they oily so they can get shot out of the gun with ease? I think it would compare to rifling on a normal gun.
It's very possible the oil would wash off, but nothing a good splash of veggie oil shouldn't fix.

In the end though, 2,000 paint ***** is probably only 30 or 40 bucks new. It might not be worth dumping alot of time into trying to rehab old *****.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM

so should I just throw them all away?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 PM

na I wouldn't just throw them away, try to get them apart and just go shoot em at something assuming you have a yard or woods and quick marker.

I used to do this all the time if I would find a pod of paint or something I forgot to empty.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM

throw them away. sry but after sitting that long paintballs swell up to a size that wont shoot out a marker and are no longer usable. You'll be shaken your hopper wondering why paintballs wont come out. I've been there and you don't want to be that guy lol.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM

pissed