Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

One Piece Leathers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Piece Leathers?

Should One piece leathers be pretty tight. Where it takes me 5 mins to get out of them by myself ? Overall the fitment feels fine and nothings rubbing but it takes me everything I have to get out of them. Is this normal?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: One Piece Leathers?

I'm kind of in the same dilemma. I've been shopping around for a good set of leathers and find that I either feel like a black man in a white mans condom, or like a walking clothes hanger. I have yet to try on the new Shift SR-1 leathers which I heard fit tall, skinny guys like myself rather well. I'm even looking at the 2-piece Shift Vantage suit. Use the jacket part everyday, and add the pants on when going to the track or canyon (or mountain).

But even the condom-like suits never took me that long to get out of, though, it did take some effort.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 AM

snug is what they are suppose to be to keep the pads/armor from shifting or moving during a crash.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:46 AM

Leather stretches. Ever notice how a new pair of shoes don't feel as confy as your ols raggedy *** pair?

Get some underarmour. Theyfit like a second skin and the slick surface helps the leather slide across and onto your shoulders. Doing this x number of times helps the leather take on the shape of your body and lessens the difficulty of the job.

Snug leathers prevent folds. Folds make tears during a get off. Tears make horrible skin abrasions. Buy them as snug as you can.

My Vanson has 2 front zippers. Theyline up with the nipples and leave a large chest flap/entery point.. This reallymakes the on-off process easier.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 AM

+1 on the under armor brand stuff. Nike also makes equivelant shirts/pants. Look for long sleeve shirts and pants made for running/jogging that are made out of the stretchy lycra. The leathers will slip right off with ease.
And yes, the leathers are supposed to be tight or snug fitting to prevent rug burn and movement in the event of a crash.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 AM

I thought you was suppose to wear leather butt naked. i like the fill of the leather rubbing me as i... wait wait went too far there didnt I.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM

lol, Thanks guys for the help.. I'll look into the underarmor very soon cuz it felt like I was pulling a muscle just to get out of mine. Granted they are new so they need time to stretch and break in.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM

here is the 411.. i used to race 125cc bikes when i was younger and the full leathers i wore then should fit tight enough that you can barely bend and touch your toes.. and i mean barely.. if they are close.. let them break in.. and i always wore a t shirt (no nipple rub) and bike shorts. (*****+leather=bad day)

Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM

I ran into this same issue a bit. I'm 6'3", about 185lbs. Here's the kicker for me... I've got an extra vertebrae in my back which helps to elongate my torso. I've checked sizes before in Frank Thomas, Alpine Star, and MotoGp... I tried on 44-48 size suits and here's what happened in the end.

44 fit the very best overall (in the alpine star). However... I went in to buy some pants at a local cycle gear (we don't have many bike shops around where I live in Oklahoma City) for the drag-strip day I was going to attend the following day. I saw a 60% discounted suit (as of that day) by motogp, in a size 46. With no aftermarket back-pad, it fits well (bought it instead obviously). Not super snug/condem like, but not hanging off me either. (again, 44 seemed to fit best, though I have a hard time making my back straight without having the suit try to crush my privates into oblivion. Probably at fault here is my extra backbone.). I ended up buying that suit in the 46. (MotoGP Titanium). I've not purchased a back-protector yet, but I'm sure it will finish off any room I have left in the chest area. The arms fit well, and so do the legs. The only issue I've had with it is that the knee and shin pads don't stay down and tucked into my A* boots enough if I've been standing up and walking around a bunch. Some of this I wonder if it's because of the slant of the shin armor and it fighting the boot. (I only notice this when I go to a full curl again on the bike after standing around and walking a while, my knees hit the pads just a tiny bit low at maximum stretch for the pant portion. I usually just give them a 1/2 inch push with my hand and it's fine.) There's no creeping or anything while riding, and nothing will turn from left to right. I figure this will set in some after I've worn them more. (first stent was about a 9 hour stent)

+1 To the under armor. Cycle gear had "tug" brand underarmor (like the nike and underarmor stuff) for $15 a shirt, so I bought 4 of them. Even the sleeveless makes the armor easier to take off, but I would recommend the short sleeve.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Retired Moderator

Since we are on the topic, which measurement is more important? Should you base a suit off of your height, chest measurement, waist, what? When I get one that fits me perfectly in the chest and waist, I find that I'm in a suit made for a 5' 8" person when I'm 6' 1".