Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ohhh boy..... this could get interesting

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008 | 11:28 AM
Default RE: Ohhh boy..... this could get interesting

We had a kid come in last year with his Mom and she bought him a new R1! He said he had ridden dirt bikes for years and though he'd have no probs. We watched him try for half an hourbefore hegot it going without stalling. Then he did a half dozen 1st gear laps of the parking lot before parking it. He said that he would get a friend to come by and pick it up for him!!! WTF?

Back in the '70's I was with a friend at a bike shop when a customer came to pick up his RD350. He had brought it in complaining of a lack of power. The mechanic explained that the bike had had afouled plug and now it was going to havea LOTmore power, so watch out! He fired it up, revved the nuts off it and dropped the clutch. We watched him exit the parking lot up on the back wheel, get it back down and take off down the road. I could see the brake light lit up the whole time, and when he got back he loaded into the back of his pickup and left wothout a word! LMAO!

Old 02-22-2008 | 01:35 PM

I agree that a 750 is to much bike for a noob,but we all have to start with something. As long as he rides cool and is nota dip **** he will be fine. You can die on a 250 the same way you can on a 1000.

We have all done our dumb stuff and still do from time to time so just make sure him knows what he's gotton himself into and let God and fate take it from there.

Old 02-22-2008 | 01:36 PM

LOL. if your scared to take it out on the road why did ya buy it? i hope the R1 guy is still around! i bet he dropped it within the first week, if not worse.

i remember one time at the bike shop when a guy got new tire put on, and the shop guy told him to be careful for the first couple miles .......he pulled right out of the lot throttled the hell out of it and down he went ......me and my friend just shook our heads as he got up and wondered what just happened.
moooo ronnnn

Old 02-23-2008 | 06:18 PM

Damn salesmen. F a new rider. Sell what you can. If your grandma showed a little interest in a 08 Twin Turboed Busa the salesman would push that wether she has ridden or not.

The GSXR750 is a nice bike. Odds are when I get another bike it'll be a 750(Unless Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki does something in the next couple of years to compete with the 750). Luckilywith the bike being brand newhe'll probably honor the break in period and get 500miles under his belt before he tears into it.

But the best thing is get him on some easy rides with other more experienced(I doubt you qualify with your low miles) riders to help him out.

Old 02-23-2008 | 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Shinken

LOL. if your scared to take it out on the road why did ya buy it?
[:'(]
Maybe they'd rather learn to ride it away from traffic instead of becoming a statistic on the way home?
I'd never recommend anyone get their first bike (no road experience) and ride it home from the dealer.

Old 02-23-2008 | 09:50 PM

Plus one on not riding it back from the dealer. I've ridden a bunch of my friend's bikes back for them since most of my friends just got into riding and I have(Or did) have the most riding experience. And they call me to test ride a bike for them.

Old 02-23-2008 | 09:53 PM

Ialways offer my friends that service when they're thinking about getting a bike for the first time. Or offer to haul it back for them.
They always have a look of WTF on their face, like they don't realize how dangerous being a noob is.

Old 02-25-2008 | 11:48 AM

Try getting a bike license in England! At 16 you can get a learner's permit for a moped. At 17 you can get a learner's permit for a "light" motorcycle, that is, no more than 33BHP max! Don't forget to sit your theory test first; 32 questions, you're allowed 2 wrong answers. Now you can go and buy a 12 inch square plastic learner's plate; a flimsy piece of white platic with a big red "L" in the center. You can't go on the motorway (Interstate), carry a passenger, or ride without that damned "L" plate.Oh, and by the way, if you're under 21 you are only allowed 33BHP. I hear that are about to make it even harder to get your license. In fact, Big Brother (the ECC or whatever they are calling it this week) is determined to ban motorcycles outright! Check out MCN for the latest news, but I read recently that "there is no place for motorcycles" in their grand scheme.

Old 02-25-2008 | 02:30 PM

yea. this kinda reminds me of my friend.

me and my best friend since like freshman year in highschool have always talked about getting bikes. well i got mine this winter (just waitin to ride it) but ive always been conservative and "safety first" type of guy... and my friend, hes the more of a risk taker, hes still smart about it,but he just doesnt worry as much i guess...

well i got my bike, i just sent my money in for my MSF course, (the sign ups started thursday), and ive been practicing in the parkin lot across the street every weekend that its warm enough.

but when i talk to him hes like, "im not takin that course, i dont wanna spend $75 on it and bla bla bla..."
then i tell him he needs to itll teach him things to look for and how to react to certain situations that youre not gonna learn about until it happens, and then my other friend chimes in (who has had his bike for a year now) and says"im not takin it either obviously i rode all last year and was fine"

so its really hard for me to convince one to take the course, when theres two supporting eachother on why they dontneed to take itand i just dont kno what else to say to him. it kinda sux

Old 02-25-2008 | 03:37 PM

When you're talking to him about what to do and what not to do, don't talk about what COULD happen, talk about what HAS happened. Makes it real and relatable.

an example: a friend of mine was new to riding, and we were goona go out riding. He said something about running, and i quickly let him know that was a very bad idea. I told him about when a friend of mine on an SV650 decided to run, on wet roads. He didn't know where he was going, and ended up lowsiding into a fence.
Now, i'm not against running, i've done it many times, in cars, bikes, and a truck that won't break 60. But i always knew where i was going, had a plan,and never pushed harder than i ever had before.

Quick Reply: Ohhh boy..... this could get interesting