Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ohhh boy..... this could get interesting

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:28 PM
|
Ironmang
Default Ohhh boy..... this could get interesting

So I go into work this morning... surprised everybody there cuz I drove my car to work today, lol. I would have rode but in preperation for this weekends surgery on the bike, I wanted to leave the tank empty. But it was a bit nipply out.... about 28 degrees with some massive wind, making for a wind chill of 12 degrees. People always give me a hard time cuz I'm the only one there that ever rides when it's cold, out of all the people there with bikes.

But anyways, I get to work this morning, and as I'm walking in from the employee lot, right next to the gate I see....... a BRAND NEW GSX-R 750, complete with the temp tag and all. I immediatly start brainstorming, who in the shop bought a new bike. Everybody there knows I ride and how passionate I am about it, so the people that ride usually always come up and talk bikes with me (a few people asked me if I got a new bike, since I'm the only one that rides when it's cold, and it was the only bike out there today). But nobody I had talked to had mentioned anything, so I really didn't know! Not only who would get a new bike, but also who would be as crazy as me as to ride it to work when it's a 12 degree windchill. I'm always the only one!! hahah

Well it only took me about 30 minutes to find out who's it was.... one of our quick lube guys, Alex. He just bought it last night. Now the scary part.... brand new rider, it's his first bike [:-] I think he's ridden dirt bikes and stuff before, but still GSX-R 750 is alot of bike for a new rider. And on top of that, new slick tires on 20 deg pavement + new rider on a GSX-R 750.... yea bad combo. I'm rather worried about him, honestly. I don't know him real well since we work on opposite ends of the shop and don't get to talk a whole lot, and I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's smart enough to use some good judgement and take it slow, but I really don't know. A few other people in the shop that know him better don't think that he will. He only worked a 1/2 day today so I didn't get to talk with him much, but I asked him if he'd at least taken the MSF and he said NO, and didn't have his endorsement either. I stongly recommended that he take it... he said he'd look into it. I'm not sure what kind of gear he's got... I'll have to talk with him some more tomorrow and see what's up.

Anyways, that was todays excitment. Keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't do anything stupid. He's a good kid, I'd really hate to see something happen to him. Already lost 6 friends, I'd really hate to lose a co-worker too. Hoping for the best but from previous experience, thinking the worst [&:]

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:32 PM
Banned
Default RE: Ohhh boy..... this could get interesting

hm.. and people wonder why there are so many crashed bikes on ebay... people just do not think

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:32 PM

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:33 PM

hmmm... i would just take him to lunch one day and give him the tales.. he needs to hear horror stories before he realizes yes riding a bike is cool.. being dead or having no skin is not..

wish him the best.. i like the 750s .. only GSXR i would get.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:35 PM

Yup... that's a scary combination. I wish him the best of luck as well.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:35 PM
Banned

from what i could gather i can see this kid acting like he knows it all and will not listen.. but i coud be wrong.. if that's the case dont even waste your time.. he will learn soon enough

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:37 PM
Retired Moderator

Oki has a good idea. You should take him to lunch (dutch)and have a rap session with him. Put him snugly under your wing, if you can. That is a ton of bike for a new rider. Keep us posted on this guy...

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:39 PM

Yeah that sounds like a dangerous combo. In aviation we're taught that accidents don't happen by just 1 mistake, but rather, a series of mistakes (or events) that lead up to the accident. This is true with motorcycles, cars, everything really. I think you, as a very serious and respected rider, should let him know of your concerns up front. I think that he would respect your opinion since you are the man...

but then again, it's hard to make people to change the way they think. after all, the defination of learning is a change in behavior as a result of experence. some people don't learn until they're lowsiding off the road.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:53 PM
Banned

i am not big on telling someone that a bike is to much for someone because a bike is a bike.. they all go slow.. and they all go fast.. you can do the same on a 600 as a 1000 basically so if the kid is smart he will take it easy.. but i did the same thing.. i bought a brand new 2004 600rr.. from the dealership.. paid just under msrp like an idiot and had a couple close calls.. never CRASHED but i put the bike down comming out of a parking lot by twisiting the throttle all the way and hit some gravel.. had all my gear on so i was ok.. and also playing ******* and got brake checked and almost went head over heals because i grabbed to much brake.. and those and other small incidents were how i learned to respect the bike and learned what not to do and eventually i got to where i am now.. although u can tell him to take the class and to be careful but it's really up to him.. why you would take a bike out in winter weather unless you HAD to makes no sence to me.. so i am thinking he got it and wanted to show off to you and others at work.. tell him what you can but let him learn the hard way if that's what it takes.. he didn't need you when he bought it.. so what makes you think he will listen now that he got it.. something to think about

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:58 PM
Retired Moderator

^^^ All we can hope to do as responsible riders is to try to help others that are learning. When they decide not to listen, it is on them. When we decide not to try, it is on us. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Ohhh boy..... this could get interesting