Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

That "OH SH!T" Moment

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That "OH ****" Moment

You ever have that moment when your driving and all of the sudden your heart is out of your chest and your stomach is in your mouth and you can't help but yell "OH ****". Happened to me last night as I'm driving home. I was in my brothers car sitting at a stop light when all of the sudden the brake pedal went straight to the floor. Right there was my moment. Had to limp it home, about 7 miles, with no brakes. Slowed the car down by downshifting and stopped with the Ebrake. Not positive yet but think the master cylinder blew cause there was no fluid in the res. and all calipers, rotors and wheels where dry which tell me a line didn't blow. None the less pretty scary stuff.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM

When I see a cop in the rear view and he's following me.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM

The blur of a deer coming out of the ditch ...

Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM

My personal favorite is when you going down the road and some one is on your right in the next lane and a genius decides that since you are a motorcycle you'll figure it out and pulls out from your left. OH **** when you look to the right and have no where to go. I now have a lovely flat spot due to this action.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Sure do i'll give you my oh **** moment.

I was leaving a poker game and the hottie I was flirting with the whole night had gotten knocked out just before I did and I saw her leaving the bar in her mustang so I threw my gear on and caught up to her as fast as I could. Well I knew the road and I guess i wasnt thinking because it sorta did a lazy right that you could easily take at maybe 130 if I wanted to.

Well I goose the F4i and pursue her. Completely forgetting about the rail road tracks that I normally take at maybe... 15 because they are angled like a damn evil knievel jump. on top of that I was heading so fast I was gonna go wide into the other lane but there was a dam curb there! I hit the curb while locking my rear tire up as it slid out to the left of me and it was enough to straiten my bike out for this huge jump. I swear i flew 50 feet or more it was nutts I thought I was gonna die lol but turned out ok.

learned a valuable lesson that night. Now I ask for their number before they leave ;P

Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Speaking of Breaks failing.. I had a 1967 Galaxie 500 when I went to high school awesome car but it wasnt short on a few problems. One of them was I had to top the break fluid off every winter for some reason it would disappear and I wouldn't know it until I sailed right through the first stop sign going out of my neighborhood. Thats something I never got used to lol.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides my first time bungie jumping...

I was riding to work one morning when it was rainy and I tried making a pass and went over a strip of paint. I wasn't going very fast, but my rear swung out on me. I turned down the throttle and the rear swung back in the other direction. I instinctively tapped my right foot on the ground and got back on the throttle. I should have high-sided, but I didn't.

Another time I was following another bike down a mountain pass and was committed into a corner when I hit a random pile of sand in the middle of the road (&!@!@$^*!^@$) and my front wheel just about folded on me, the bike pushed through the sand for a bit, regained traction and I went along my way... now I keep my eyes on the road instead of the bike in front of me.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had way to many moments on a bike, like the time a friend & I coming back from Brisbane, both rounded this corner & there was a dead Roo in the middle of the road. I veered left, he went right, both of us bouncing along the verge trying to regain control.
With a car, my most recent moment, had one of those synthetic chamois in its plastic container under the seat, roared into this shopping center carpark & when I needed to hit the brake, couldn't. The bloody chamois container had slid & had rested itself under the brake pedal. Thank god for manual cars & handbrakes.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:51 PM

I came up to a red light a little to fast and the front wheel instantly locked up when i hit a puddle of oil some beater-car must have left at the lite, i slammed my foot down so hard to try and catch it, still dont know how i didnt go down. another was a freekin squrrell did the confusion dance as i came around the corner and tagged the little critter , dont know how i saved that one...im olny mentioning the close call(oh chit) not the get-off's whitch wood be (aw chit) as ive got a couple of those too....

Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my work van, I give other people 'O chit!' moments. Usually right when they realize 1) I'm bigger than they are and 2) I'm not moving for their stupidity. Which is why I have them in my gf's VW: nobody respects the space it occupies (I swear, people give me a wider berth on my bike).

On my bike, every memorable 'O chit!' moment has involved some idiotic college student on campus. Seriously, they teach us in kindergarten to cross at the light. You'd think by college it'd have sunk in. But on several occasions I've had to yank myself upright and go wide to miss some backpack wearing sorority bowhead yapping on her iPhone while she takes a leisurely jaywalking stroll from halfway down the block on one side to the corner on the other side.

The scariest ones, tho, are when I've had to lean er down more and go tight... Usually right at a parked car. Least deer are smart enough to freeze in fright, providing a stationary target to miss. That little half step / hop they attempt in high heel boots doesn't do anything but close down more of the easier escape route

Quick Reply: That "OH SH!T" Moment