Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Oh man I wish my friends would just ask

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oh man I wish my friends would just ask

I may not be the best mechanic around but im ahelluva lot better than the redneck with the stretched GSXR750. My friend went to go buy a bike and i told him id go with him. Well i guess he got antsy and went and bought it.

I guess as long as he likes it its whatever. So far the problems i figure are these.

When shifting into 2nd at a high RPM it slips into netural. Bent shift fork?

The way the guy lowered it was to use a tie down strap with a rachet over the top of the frame !!!!! ARE YOU FRIGGIN SERIOUS?!? Is it just me or is that not the stupidest way to lower your front end?

It has NOZ stickers over all the little paint scraps from being dropped. So they are randomly everywhere. Its hilarious.

Then the mirrors are chrome flames and the brake fluid looks like chocolate syrup. They are now his problems for 3.6k he said he paid for it. Maybe 3.2.

Thought i would share.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol same **** happened to me with TWO friends. i kept telling them (first bike) to get a used beater that they could screw up because they WILL go down. course not the first one goes out and gets an 09 zx6 brand new (hasnt wrecked yet) the second does the same thing and gets an 09 600rr brand new. now the 600rr has 927 miles on it currently and i just replaced the bent crankshaft from the wreck. he had it about 2 months and been paying on it for almost a year now with it sitting in my garage. he just recently got the parts and its good as new now minus the fairings. all he needs is a front rim to ride again. if he only listened

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Chris I am going to say that this is a good learning experience for your friend. I did the same thing when I bought my F4i. I just had to have a bike found one I could afford and just bought it. I soon came to regret that decision as it had electrical problems that took me forever to figure out, bike left me stranded a couple times and I never did figure out what was wrong with the tach. When I was buying my RR I learned from my experience with my F4i and went over it with a fine tooth comb and got myself a much better bike because of it. He is young and dumb. He will learn from his mistake.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R Dub
Chris I am going to say that this is a good learning experience for your friend. I did the same thing when I bought my F4i. I just had to have a bike found one I could afford and just bought it. I soon came to regret that decision as it had electrical problems that took me forever to figure out, bike left me stranded a couple times and I never did figure out what was wrong with the tach. When I was buying my RR I learned from my experience with my F4i and went over it with a fine tooth comb and got myself a much better bike because of it. He is young and dumb. He will learn from his mistake.
Sad thing is this isnt his first bike and he had 4500. There are some nice bikes in our area for that kinda money but he had 2 requirements. It be a gixxer, and stretched. I guess he got what he wanted. lol

Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Sad thing is this isnt his first bike and he had 4500. There are some nice bikes in our area for that kinda money but he had 2 requirements. It be a gixxer, and stretched. I guess he got what he wanted. lol
Oh well now he is just an idiot and you probably shouldn't be friends with him lol

Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by itlnF4I
lol same **** happened to me with TWO friends. i kept telling them (first bike) to get a used beater that they could screw up because they WILL go down. course not the first one goes out and gets an 09 zx6 brand new (hasnt wrecked yet) the second does the same thing and gets an 09 600rr brand new. now the 600rr has 927 miles on it currently and i just replaced the bent crankshaft from the wreck. he had it about 2 months and been paying on it for almost a year now with it sitting in my garage. he just recently got the parts and its good as new now minus the fairings. all he needs is a front rim to ride again. if he only listened
tell your boy i got all fairings reb and black scheme im trying to sell for 550+shipping. minor scratches.......... im not sayin...........im just sayin

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tough luv...live and learn...

Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by itsme71190
tell your boy i got all fairings reb and black scheme im trying to sell for 550+shipping. minor scratches.......... im not sayin...........im just sayin
no offence but brand new aftermarket fairings cost that much. and im pretty sure hes getting the unpainted plastics for like 3xx and having our friend paint them

Old 10-17-2011, 02:07 PM

they make straps like that specifically for lowering the front end of bikes and its a more common practice than it sounds. but i think its more for just using your bike at the track (drag strip) since youre taking away a lot of your suspension travel so its just a redneck version of that i guess but id never ride on the street like that thats dumb. But hey whatever if hes happy with it let him deal with it. But if any of my friends wanted a bike and only if it was a stretched gixxer i think thatd be the bigger issue.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Yeah, straps for the front end are common for drag racing, but not really used in general riding. So if it's meant ONLY for lowering the bike, yeah it's kinda ghetto.

Quick Reply: Oh man I wish my friends would just ask