Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Off season insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off season insurance?

I was just wondering if you could pay for insurance and then cancel it during the off-season without problems or consequences? Has anyone done this and then re signed up with the same insurance company the next riding season? I was just wondering if anyone could explain the Pro's and Con's of doing this.....Also what are the best insurance companys you guys have delt with, Price wise......thanks alot

Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Default RE: Off season insurance?

I guess you could, but most states require that any vehicle that is registered be insured, and require most insurance companies to notify the dmv upon cancelation; plus most insurance companies charge you more if you have gaps in your converage. You might talk to your insurance co. and see if they offer some type of seasonal insurance, that would be a new one for me. Plus if you think about it, something can still happen to your bike while it's parked for the winter. Best idea, move somewhere like AZ, where other that a couple of months of extreme heat, its great riding weather almost everyday Just kidding, I know that's not a solution for ya.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:21 PM

I work for State Farm insurance and we can suspend coverage for a length of time and then reinstate it. There are no penalties to the policy holder or any extra fees to do this. All state are different but I know that our rates and other coverages make us a good choice. HAH! I sound like such a salesperson.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 PM

I have State Farm and they by far seem to be the best on price and coverage. Many posts in the forum seem to agree. My agent told me the policies are pro-rated for summer riding. Meaning if you cancel you won't get much back in the winter as the price is weighted more for the riding season. This is to stop people from dropping it in the winter then picking it back up again in the spring.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 PM

yeah gotta agree... state farm has done me right

Old 08-02-2006, 12:56 AM

Ya State Farm is awesome but you have to have your car insured through them too. =( Try just getting comprehensive so it just covers your bike if something happens to it. That's what I'm doing, well and because I have to have some sort of insurance as my bike is owned by Wauwatosa Credit Union. lol Comp for me is like $50 a month instead of my full coverage which is $127. When I turn 25 and have my car insured through State Farm my bike will only be $267 a year!!!!!

Mike

Old 08-02-2006, 01:11 AM

Whats an "off season"??

Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 AM

Im year round coverage...31 a month Comp...just in case its 70 in December..LOL

Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 AM

For us in Wisconsin "off season" is October - March.

Mike

Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 AM

I'm curious about this also. I've always ridden my bikes year round, even in PA through snow and all, but this year with moving I can walk to work and school. I have progressive, and I think I'm going to try and suspend my coverage. I'd rather not pay 60+ a month to have my bike sit in my garage for 5 months. I would go with state farm, but I've found them to be more expensive then using seperate companies for my car and bike. Has anyone successfully suspended their insurance?

Quick Reply: Off season insurance?