Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

not everything changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not everything changes

Stopped during my ride yesterday when this silverhair approaches me and says,

"Forty years ago I used to ride Harley's that pissed oil"

Without missing a beat my response,

"They still do."

Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by regener8ed; 06-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, gotta love it
No silver hair (dunno why, dealing with you lot every day) but I do remember the days...
You need more money to own one now, than back then.............
Poser bikes, now, used to have some character................

Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM

good points all Shadow

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

Oil leaks, violently shaking engines (which leads to violently shaking bikes), low reliability, high cost.

Yet people still buy these damn bikes??

I have a buddy who rides a Harley and we were talking about this very thing the other day. He just bought his dad an 01 Dyna (1449 cc monster) for $7,000!!! It leaks oil, the engine shakes violently due to the unbalanced engine (which he told me is intentionally done by HD for effect), it's had its top end rebuilt once due to the oil pump going out and wreaking havoc. He said that at 80 mph it is plain scary to drive and any wind at all sends this land-based super tanker all over the place. The bike only has 8,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do people buy these things???

Check out this site I found... I got a good laugh...
http://www.doesharleysuck.com/

Last edited by chuckbear; 05-27-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 AM

hogs are certainly their own breed... thats for sure...good stuff chuckbear....

Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hooooly crap, here's a good one:

http://www.doesharleysuck.com/conten...do#comment-289

I bought my first, last, and only Harley I will ever own. I have had nothing but problems with it.
At 8000 miles the engine leaked oil. That was the first major problem. The right turn signal switch went out. The starter switch went out. The stitching in the seat came out, twice. The paint on the forks bubbled up and flaked off, twice. When I say twice that means they warrantied it and the same problem happened again. The shifter **** came lose and the rod had to be replaced. The paint around the spedometer rubbed off. All of these things and more have had to be warrantied by harley. I currently have 34,000 miles on my bike. I have had it with Harley. I regret my decision to buy an American bike.
The newest problem is I had to replace a tire on a road trip at a harley dealership. Now, the bearings in the rear wheel are bad. The local dealership says it is the other dealers fault because of the tire and the belt was too lose. The problem here is both dealerships are authorized by harley. Whom evers fault it is, the item should have been warantied.
All of these problems have cemented my decision to never buy a harley ever again.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM

My buddy has an old sportster and he has had nothing but problems...He always B*itches about the problem yet won't budge on selling it and buying a sportbike. His headlight and turn signals dont work after handle bar swap, Bike backfires at high speeds which for a harley is like 40 MPH i feel like im being shot at everytime i hear it...and his carb needs rebuilt or some B.S.....CBR'S FTW!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My boss bought a brand new screamin' eagle road glide last year. He had it in the shop like 3 times in the first 200miles. It was spewing oil out the head, etc.
Another guy I work with had 500miles on a new harley something (lol.... the names make no sense to me) and had to have it towed for a starting issue.
Another guy I work with just bought a '95 EVO ($6,500!). He rode it to work for 6 days before he blew a head gasket trying to catch me riding back from lunch.

The only harley I would consider riding is the VROD. It's really not a Harley, imo, and it's fun as hell to ride.
I kinda like the XR1200, too, but only the styling. I like the fact that Harley at least tried SOMETHING sporty... and i like the throwback idea. The problem is that it's heavy (550lbs dry!!) and it doesn't even have as much power as the buells with the same motor. Kinda pathetic, really. I wonder if the HD logo actually does rob horsepower....

Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 PM

my gfs grandma had a harley (ultra glide?) and it was leaking oil she brought it in under warranty, they told her oh they all do that. She was riding the other day and the engine went kaboom... they wanted to rebuild, she decided to get a new bike, screaming eagle.

sometimes i just dont know, i feel like my old ninja 500 (now my gfs) will last longer then her new bike and was a hell of a lot cheaper, i know not even close to the same category but still