Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The "Noob Drop"

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Oh jesus - two year plus thread bump? Lame.
It's a good thread... plus I'm sure many more Noob Drops have occurred since then... It's not like it's a "what tire is best?" or "which oil should I use?" thread...

Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my only down ever was from being really squid.

There was a big party later that night so me and my buddy were mixing up drinks for chicks with 151. I am the designated taster of anything we make so i kept taking little sips to see what we needed to add. 15 minutes later this hot chick calls wanting some of that good so we decide to take the bikes. As my buddy was inside grabbing something i was in the driveway riding in circles as tight as i could. After like the 3rd circle i either got a little dizzy or intoxicated and didn't feather it enough for how tight the turn was. This was also the first circle turning to the right. (i turn way harder left annnny day --nascar status) The bike went down at under 5 mph.

In my defense there was small debris (sand like particles) that caused my foot to slip. im sure i coulda caught it but whatever. The stance that i ended up in didnt have enough *** to keep her off the ground and the bike literally was laid down nice and soft. no marks.

interruption: someone is driving by my house with subs that are rattling the dishes haha wtf earthquake

i didnt get the chick, therefore the morale of the story is :: dont be stupid like me ::

Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my F3 during winter I couldn't help but ride it around the airport where it was stored, so technically I learned to ride in the snow. the first time I had it out I was just doing really slow huge radius turns and the rear tire slid out on one of them. Surprisingly I was able to keep the bike up (I'm 130 pounds...) and lift it back up. I don't know if it's just me, but it really didn't seem heavy. Maybe it was the superman strength you get when a loved one is in trouble!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by bambam
ive had my laces hang up on the pegs and have come very close that way.
Been there before. It's terrifying

Originally Posted by revilingfool
the morale of the story is :: dont be stupid like me ::
The moral here should be DON'T DRINK AND RIDE!!

Originally Posted by cbrzilla10
Maybe it was the superman strength you get when a loved one is in trouble!

I've had to pick up my bike twice and both times it was way lighter than it normally is. It's addrenalin.

First time was a noob drop. On my f2 at a toll booth on the ohio turnpike. The guy in front of me didn't have his money so I'm waiting for like 10 minutes. Tired of balancing the beast I go to put the side stand down. Put my right foot down in the center of the lane (right where all the hot engines make their greasy deposits) and it started sliding. I'm too short to stop it so when it got low enough I threw my leg over and slowed it to a stop at I set it down

Second was a lowside at about 25-30 on my f4i due to cold tires

Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
Second was a lowside at about 25-30 on my f4i due to lack of riding skillzzz
FIXED!!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Never (knock on wood) dropped my bike. The guy standing up at the light and dropping it reminded me....sometimes when standing over my f4i, I "toss" it side to side between my legs. Anyone else do that?

I did how ever ALMOST drop a brand-new electra glide working at a Harley dealer. Un-loading a new shipment of bikes and was walking in the new electra and an ******* service writer bumped into me letting the weight of the bike cross over center away from me and down she went. I have a death grip on the bar thinking "im going to have to pay for this if it goes down" adrenaline started pumping and somehow I caught it.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ACRGT213
Never (knock on wood) dropped my bike. The guy standing up at the light and dropping it reminded me....sometimes when standing over my f4i, I "toss" it side to side between my legs. Anyone else do that?
I've done that at lights before, but on my 96 900RR, I think my ride height is 32 inches, and my legs are a little short so I am on my toes when sitting on the seat. I didn't drop my bike there, but sitting to the left of the oil slick in the middle of the road, my foot almost slid way toooo far. I managed to keep it up though.

My first drop was in my driveway. My driveway is gravel and grass. I rode up my driveway to my backyard and went to turn, (to my right) in the grass to load it up in a trailer. Well the grass was still slightly wet and I tried to take the turn a little tooo sharp and the front end slid out on me. I tried to catch her, but between her going over on the right in wet grass, I wasn't able to hold her up. No damage, just some wet grass and a frame slider FULL of wet dirt. Picked her up and onto the trailer. No damage other than to my pride. I had only had my bike 3 days at that point.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Shift baggy MX pants are no fun when the kickstart goes up the leg and you fall on the down hill side when trying to restart on a hill. Stupid, stupid pants. Happened to me a couple of times. I wear "normal" ones now.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 AM

I've got a good newb drop story...

I'm on my way from Brooklyn NY to Merdith NH, it starts to rain, I pull off the highway somewhere in Connecticut get into a gas station and put on my rain gear. I notice as I'm getting on the bike that it's a little awkward in the waterproof pants and jacket as they don't really give much when throwing my leg over, I make a note of this for when I get off the bike.
I leave the gas station and head back towards the interstate, I get to a redlight on an uphill where I have to make a right turn. I had several issues...
1.) tire spins when I try to take off and bike starts going the wrong way... I pull the clutch and apply brake, attempt to put foot down.
2.) foot starts slipping, I attempt to adjust to put weight on outside foot.
3.) front tire starts slipping backwards on pavement after weight adjustment.
4.) attempt to roll bike back down hill, while feathering front brake to attempt to slow decent..
5.) front tire starts to slip sideways, cant gain any traction with feet, rain gear is making everything difficult, face screen fogged to heck

I intentionally dump the clutch to stall bike and then lay it over.

I was going negative 2 miles per hour... I ended up picking up the bike with my feet in the grass shoulder, rolling the bike into the grass, then rolling it down the hill. I inspected the bike and there was no damage, but seriously, felt like a moron... Who would have thought I'd get better traction on wet grass then on wet pavement.. I know the whole "first 20mins of rain is the worst" thing, and really it had been more than 20mins since the rain started to when I started out again, there must have been oil on the road in this location or possibly teflon...

Story 2
This may not apply, but I had a rental of a HD V-Rod, I didn't drop it but came pretty darn close.
I had put about 1300 miles on it that weekend and was bringing it back to the dealer (abot 200 miles away) and I stop in at a gas station and fill up, since I'll have to stop in another 175miles anyways.. aparently there were some oil spots on the concrete pad, or the Harley had waaaaay to much power, because as I was pulling away from the pump and making a right the tire slipped out and I kinda went sideways on it, and almost went over, in fact I set off the "tip" sensor in the bike, I put my leg down so the bike never hit the ground, just leaned over too far. I mean the bike has a 240 rear tire and about 120hp, and I sure as hell didnt intentionally do a half donut. I couldn't really explain it except that there was oil all over the pad - it was a clear day, I wasn't using the throttle like an on/off switch (until I was on the road anyways) but again, I felt like a moron.. especially when I couldnt restart the bike right away, then I noticed the gauge said "TIP" I was like, is this a pinball machine or something? I didn't even know they installed those things in motorcycles, especially since I was peg draggin it all weekend long.

Last edited by SPR-GRN; 03-01-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM

my first and only drop so far was in my driveway.(gravel)

I just started it up and was letting it warm up and getting ready to go, i had the kickstand up, but i forgot i put it up so i let it lean that way to let the kickstand catch it and surprise it wasn't there. by the time i figured that out there was no saving it, down it went. scratched my leg up and the stator cover a bit.

of course the neighbors were watching and of course all they did was point and laugh. i picked it up went in the house, waited a few minutes for them to look the other way again, then started it up quickly and left without looking in their direction. lol

Quick Reply: The "Noob Drop"