Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

NO MORE HD DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO MORE HD DVD!

read it here.. toshiba threw in the towel...

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/japan_toshiba

Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Default RE: NO MORE HD DVD!

That sucks, I was starting to build a collection too. Good thing this ended quick.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM

well its bluray FTW...glad i dont have either yet lol

Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, so sad. Go get your upscaling HD-DVD players while they last, and if you buy a BR player make sure it is profile 2.0 compatible....or just buy a PS3 because they are the same price if not cheaper [8D]. Bad thing is now Sony owns the market and we all know what happens when there is no competition.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:28 PM

prices will not go down for a while..

but sony owning the market at least means we are getting quality ****..

mini disc was the best idea, and high quality, (it lost bc, CD makers didnt like that the disc was protected, and you wouldnt have to replace it when it got scratched.) Sony usually has better ideas than the rest they just **** off the other ends of the business and usually it wont catch on at that point.

Finally Sony has grabbed this one by the *****, its goingto mean better movie quality, and better machines, get used to it, and get over it..

PS3 just got a big boost over the 360 on this one.. glad i got one of the 60g PS3s (only one with actual PS2 hardware not software) and its upgradeable.

uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh

Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 PM

I am pretty sure this announcement will be a springboard for other manufactures to jump into Blu-ray player production...which is actually bad for Sony, cause they will have to to keep up with all the other brands. Before, they could pretty much set their own price. Now, they will have to react to the market.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:17 PM

too bad sony has the patent for Blu Rays for alittle while longer.

there is some question about other companies making blu ray discs with a silver coating, not a gold coating, but thats already in court.

same disc just different reflective material basically.

we will see how this plays out.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM

The patent issue my not be...well...an issue if Sony can't prove they didn't steal the idea from somebody else

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.a...edate=20070601

Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

but sony owning the market at least means we are getting quality ****..

Finally Sony has grabbed this one by the *****, its goingto mean better movie quality, and better machines, get used to it, and get over it..
Right, because we know when there is no competition that products get.....better?

Actually, had Toshiba forked out a couple hundred million to WB, we may have been seeing a completely different tale of HD. Quality had nothing to do with it.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM

i hope sony keeps the patent, and exclusive rights for a while.. all cheaper in the electronics market means is just that..

anything that is significantly cheaper was made with cheaper parts by cheaper labor, thus leading to a cheaper product in more ways than one.

thats my thoughts.. ill pay for (1) sony blu ray player in 8yrs and someone else may have to replace thier Toshiba.. evening out the cost or making the long run purchase of a cheaper product more expensive. Not to mention the stress and time involved..

i buy everything from best buy with svc plans so if something goes wrong.. i just let them deal with it.

but i am a big sony fan none the less. maybe im biased.