Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

newbie (updated 56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie (updated 56k beware)

what can I say.. I'm a total newbie to motorcycles really. I've done alot of research about bikes and sizes and so forth and read alot about new ppl jumping on bikes and getting liter bikes and nearly killing themselves, and how everyone suggested 250's. So I searched and decided I was going to get a kawa 250r ninja 08.... little to my dismay none found and could not be found at any dealership for the so called next 6 months per the sales reps... so with my heart broken... and my mind set on a bike... I found a 06 cbr600F4i for $5600.

So...I bought it.. and my friend who had previously went through the MSF course taught me exactly what he learned in his course but using my new bike.. all in a parking lot mind you. I was also enrolled in a MSF locally but waiting for my time off from work and the allotted days the course was set to take place, which was august 2-3rd. Well it's been a little over 1 1/2 months of learning on my bike. It still scares me and that keeps me in check. I constantly see videos of retards trying to show off, and it pisses me off... and then while riding seeing sooo many ppl in Texas ride with almost zero gear!!. Hell today I passed a 07 rs1 and dude didn't even have a damn helmet on... just sunglasses, shorts, tank top and flip flops... I waved and he didn't even wave back!!

Anyway to continue my story, I've been using my bike as my new commuter to work and some play time when I'm off. Every day is a totally new learning experience!! I'm slowly building more and more confidence in deep leans which is why I even started this post. Today on my way to work there is a nice overpass crossing alliance gateway freeway near westlake Texas. I usually turn on Alliance gateway and from that overpass to the turn gives plenty of nice room to work with on a deep lean. Well getting a slight bit spirited with the turn I got a really nice lean and then turning into my parking lot I also got a really nice turn in. BUT, to my fright I felt something weird... my FOOT!! the outer ledge of my foot freakin rubbed the concrete!! the lean was so deep that my foot touched the ground and literally freaked me out... so my instinct was to immediately bring the bike back upright and take easier turns. I was told that the pegs on my bike would hit first before my foot should.. so my only thought is I must have had my foot off the peg a bit.

Anyone else ever rubbed their feet on deep leans ? should I start hugging my bike with my feet? I've got about 1100 miles under my belt riding and so far I'm loving every bit. Even just the daily commute, and slow speeds it's fun. usually when traffic is dead and no one is behind me I play with counter steering and weave back and forth in my lane, anyone else do this ? Also after arriving at work I checked my tires and i have roughly 1/8 of an inch left before i'm at the edge... scary that the bike leans so much over and can still be pulled up.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: newbie

Froggy,
I put the ***** of my feet on the pegs, so there is no foot hanging over them. If your heels are on the peg, you have alot hanging off. My wife started about a year ago, and I have instructed her to do the same. She thinks it feels better anyway. Maybe your feet are long and wide, and I misread your post, but try that if you are not already. Also remember, you have your whole life to get good at riding your bike. Take it easier than you think you need to. That way you get home everyday. I hope my mirror gets to you soon...

Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 AM

hmm my friend also uses the ***** of his feet.. when I tried it feels uncomfortable that way.. I'll try it again, and you are absolutely correct, I have a lifetime to get better but only 1 life to live. Only reason I leaned that far over was because the bike felt extremely stable no upset in suspension no excessive speed just enough push to keep her hugging the corner. From now on I'll try to keep the ***** of my feet on the pegs.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be looking for Froggy's name in the next season motogp. Rossi in the making!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 AM

heck no.. I don't have no were near the ***** those guys have!!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 AM

I got an f4i for my first streetbike as well..GREAT bike to learn on. never steered me wrong..untill i hit a deer[:@] that was the end of that. looking to upgrade to a 1k this next season..take it slow..for atleast the first 2 seasons.. cool looking bike, ive always been a sucker for the deep blue. WELCOME!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 AM

Voodoo is right. If your hanging your feet off the pegs, they will rub the ground fairly easily. You really don't even have to be in that big of a lean to rub em.

Riding with the ***** of your feet on the pegs takes some getting used to, but you will like it once you get used to it. It keeps your feet in the ready position for the rear brake and gear selector if you need it in a hurry. It also makes it easier to use your legs to support your body instead of soley your arms. Its a lot less fatigueing..( is that a word??).. than just using your arms. Also, transitions from side to side of your bike as you go through corners is easier as well.

Nice work on taking it easy till you get better. Just remember, the most dangerous time for a new rider is when he first gets comfortable. thats when mistakes happen.

welcome to the wonderful world of sportbikes.

oh yeah, very nice looking bike. thats the first blue one I've seen....

Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 AM

I drag toes a lot, but I've got long/wide feet and a bunch of years riding, so my comfort zone tossing the bike into a corner is beyond that of a lot of fresher riders. Plus, I only slightly skim the outside edge of my boot at the deepest lean, on the outside edge of my tire (chicken strip free) If you are dragging parts of you or the bike before you run out of tire, than you need to work on your form...I second (third?Fifth?) the guys above me, move your feet back on the pegs, you'll be surprised. The only thingI worry about is if my hugewang flops over the side of the bike in the turn, upsetting the weight balance and pulling me down. I drug the head of it once, next day I saw the S.H.A. filling and repaving the groove I dug in the tarmac.
Seriously though, you need to slow down and take it easy...1100 miles of experience is not the time to be testing your lean angles. You say you've got 1100 miles and are loving every minute...take your timeand you'll have a lot more minutes. Start testing your "skills" (quotations used because at this pointyou don't have that much, not a dig at you, just a simple statement of fact), and I assure you you'll be making the papers...the obit section.
And, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE MSF CLASS. I can't stress this enough. SIPDE technique, situational awareness, panic braking,slow ride, weaving, all of these things you need to know that your buddy, bless him for trying, canNOT convey to you in a five-minute crash course. And yes, I used the term crash-course on purpose. Plus, the MSF will have their own bikes for you to test lean angles on...abuse them to your hearts content...I know I did.
Judgingby your post, you at least seem to have a good head on your shoulders, wearing gear and respecting the bike...you're already doing better than most new riders...I commend you for that. Take your time, learn slow, and in a year or two with many more thousands of miles under your belt you can look back and realize that maybe, just maybe, you were pushing a bit harder on your learning curve than you should have.
Now, here's two hypotheticals:
1: You are in your lean on a two-lane road and you drag toe, startling yourself. There is traffic coming the other direction so you can't stand it up...what do you do?
2: You are in your lean and you know you are super close to dragging toe. There is a foreign object in the road to the outside of your apex. What do you do?
If it took you more than 1/2 second to decide and execute the decision, make sure your health insurance is paid up.
Ride safe, learn slow, practice, practice, practice...I look forward to seeing you post here for a long time to come.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 AM

BTW, it is a nice looking bike...it'd be a shame to see it rashed up.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Banned

Congrats on the bike Frog.

Like other people said try to take it easy for a while, it is not so much that you are not a phenom on two wheels, it is just that if something goes a little wrong you may to be able to adjust quickly enoughsince you are new.

Check out the F4i section and use the search function to help you with maintenance and such.

Have fun and enjoy.

Quick Reply: newbie (updated 56k beware)