Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

NEW PC, I Need HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW PC, I Need HELP.

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I was just sick of the "send error report" message every 5 minutes.)
means you where not that good at windows.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: telgren

ORIGINAL: rrasco

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but what OS are you going with?

Right now, 4G's of RAM can actually hinder performance. If you're gonna go with Vista, you're going to NEED no less than 2G's. Yes, you can run Vista on less, but then you're turning off eye candy and some of the features that make it a (apparently) superior OS to XP.

Food for thought...

telgren, tell me about it. the case i modded had a fan in every place i could put one. 10 in all.
You can put all the fans you want in a case, but if the air flow is not in the correct position its not doing a whole lot of good. Most people make huge mistakes in thinking that you just keep blowing air into a case and it will cool stuff off. The really good cases out there push air into the CPU yes, but they also have air pushing it out somewhere else. Look for a case that has a couple of fans that pull the hot air that rises out the top.
yeah, of course. 1 in bottom front, 1 in side, 3 out back, 1 out top. that was my setup, plus a few on the HDs.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but what OS are you going with?

Right now, 4G's of RAM can actually hinder performance. If you're gonna go with Vista, you're going to NEED no less than 2G's. Yes, you can run Vista on less, but then you're turning off eye candy and some of the features that make it a (apparently) superior OS to XP.

Food for thought...

telgren, tell me about it. the case i modded had a fan in every place i could put one. 10 in all.
You can put all the fans you want in a case, but if the air flow is not in the correct position its not doing a whole lot of good. Most people make huge mistakes in thinking that you just keep blowing air into a case and it will cool stuff off. The really good cases out there push air into the CPU yes, but they also have air pushing it out somewhere else. Look for a case that has a couple of fans that pull the hot air that rises out the top.
yeah, of course. 1 in bottom front, 1 in side, 3 out back, 1 out top. that was my setup, plus a few on the HDs.
Have you ever figured out which way the air is actually pushing? I dont want to call anyone dumb, but I have seen guys get all the fans to push the air directly into the case thinking that it would just keep sucking cool air in, instead it has the opposite effect and creates serious heat issues.

Consider the following issue found on amd.com

Air Flow
In a typical desktop tower form factor, air should flow in from the bottom front of the case and exhaust out the top rear of the case. Ambient air temperatures inside the case will play a large role in the effectiveness of individual solutions used for the processor, video card, and chipset. Therefore, expelling excess heat is essential for proper cooling and stability.

As mentioned, a good case will usually allow for 1-2 intake fans (case fans) and 1-2 exhaust fans to assist with air circulation for proper cooling. In some high end cases, there could also be places to install fans on the side case panel as well as in the top of the case. Keep in mind, the more fans installed the better the cooling, but the more noise generated.

The goal should be to create negative air flow, with more air leaving the case than coming in. Typically, this is done by having more exhaust fans than intake fans. If a case has two intake fans at the front and two exhaust fans in the rear, then negative air flow is achieved because the power supply also has one exhaust fan.

Generally speaking, expansion slot fans are not a good idea because they will exhaust the cool air straight out the back of the case.

On rare occasions, an expansion slot fan may be needed, but it is usually not recommended.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 PM

i have 80mm on front lower as intake, left side as intake, top as exhaust, 40mm rear exhaust below PS, 2 fans on PS exhausting exhaust heat from CPU. expansion slot exhaust on graphics card in addition to its own heatsink and fan as well as dual 40mm on my HDDs. its pretty loud, but you get used to it. there is normally something drowning it out anyways.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Anybody heard of Dell? U can order them for what u like to use them for

Old 01-22-2007, 07:19 PM

yeah but thats no fun. back in the day it was actually cheaper to build your own system. now with Dell selling them for like $400 its not, but its still funner to build it.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 AM

i have 80mm on front lower as intake, left side as intake, top as exhaust, 40mm rear exhaust below PS, 2 fans on PS exhausting exhaust heat from CPU. expansion slot exhaust on graphics card in addition to its own heatsink and fan as well as dual 40mm on my HDDs. its pretty loud, but you get used to it. there is normally something drowning it out anyways.
Seems like you would have a lot of air still not being moved around with those fans on the HD's. I use to have an expansion card slot fan, but found after taking it out, my PC actually cooled down even more. Where are your HD's mounted at? You sound like me and have a lot of drives and power running through, have you ever gone through and done some cord management so that air flows better? I got another 7 degrees doing that. If all else fails there is always water cooling [sm=bling.gif]which is where I want to be with my next case.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I was just sick of the "send error report" message every 5 minutes.)
means you where not that good at windows.
LOL. I was expecting that. Classic.

But I do have a comeback:

I'm a PC: [sm=pcwhack.gif]

I'm a Mac: [sm=type.gif]

THAT'S RIGHT! OWNED BY THE SMILEYS!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Seems like you would have a lot of air still not being moved around with those fans on the HD's. I use to have an expansion card slot fan, but found after taking it out, my PC actually cooled down even more. Where are your HD's mounted at? You sound like me and have a lot of drives and power running through, have you ever gone through and done some cord management so that air flows better? I got another 7 degrees doing that. If all else fails there is always water cooling [sm=bling.gif] which is where I want to be with my next case.
those HD fans are not much, just put them on there anyways. they are blowing into the front lower fan which blows back. i have stripped down the PS and all the wires and sleeved them. i also used round IDE cables as well. i always wanted to have a water cooled system but everything is just so expensive and the fact that i despair water constantly running through my system. next case i but will be premodded and i dont want to put any energy into it.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Seems like you would have a lot of air still not being moved around with those fans on the HD's. I use to have an expansion card slot fan, but found after taking it out, my PC actually cooled down even more. Where are your HD's mounted at? You sound like me and have a lot of drives and power running through, have you ever gone through and done some cord management so that air flows better? I got another 7 degrees doing that. If all else fails there is always water cooling [sm=bling.gif] which is where I want to be with my next case.
those HD fans are not much, just put them on there anyways. they are blowing into the front lower fan which blows back. i have stripped down the PS and all the wires and sleeved them. i also used round IDE cables as well. i always wanted to have a water cooled system but everything is just so expensive and the fact that i despair water constantly running through my system. next case i but will be premodded and i dont want to put any energy into it.
So the HD fans are blowing into another fan that just pushes the air right back? And I agree with the whole water situation about having it around all the components, but seeings how its been out for a few years and you dont hear of many people having problems (those who bought decent parts), I think that it will be time. Its kinda like not going to Vista until they release SP1