Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New michelin pilot 3's vs pures- bad michelin!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New michelin pilot 3's vs pures- bad michelin!!!!

Thought I should let all my riding people know- the new pilot 3's coming out from michelin are not an upgrade from pures, they are a downgrade. They are slower on the track and don't weigh anything less then other tires unlike the pures. Michelin is releasing them strictly because the public is stuck on the power 2ct name. Yes, the new 2ct tehcnology should make them more stable when they get hot, but the pures will still out perform them. Besides, for you to get enough temp into pures as to make them un-stable enough to be a problem then you need trackday tires not street tires anymore. So if your a michelin fan like me, stock up on pures before they're gone!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Source? PP 3's should have 20% longer tread life for normal driving, which is far more important to most people than track performance.

I'm sure they're both good tires. I have the Pures on my drag bike, so I can't talk much about their lean capabilities, but Michelin has been my go-to brand since I started riding. I can't imagine the 3's will be terrible in any regard.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM

My source is michelin. Amazingly they answered my questions strait and to the point. After getting 15K from front and 10k from rear 2ct's and pures I can't imagine how long the new pilot 3's will go.

Yes the new pilot 3's will be better street tires, but thats not the point. Michelin has always offered the power 2ct for a great street tire and the pure for a street/trackday tire. Now we won't have the great street/trackday tire. It won't be horrible when I finally have to switch by any means but Im still angry.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard a few complaints when it comes to the Pures. As every rider thinks he's using 10/10ths of the tire's grip when they probably aren't, I can't tell you whether the negative reports are at all accurate but the consensus seems to be that the Pures were a "miss" when it comes to their line up. Anyone who deals with Michelins in volume knows they are hit or miss.. and that applies to everything from their sport touring tires to their slicks.

You're kinda right about the 3s being kind of a marketing gimmick. The problem is that a lot of people didn't know what the Pures were because they didn't have a number tacked onto them. Don't knock 'em before you try 'em. As far as I'm concerned, Michelin spends more resources trying to hear what their customer base wants before engineering their products compared to many of the other manufacturers that they'll probably do their best to appease the people who are riding on the PPs.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by raylee
As far as I'm concerned, Michelin spends more resources trying to hear what their customer base wants before engineering their products compared to many of the other manufacturers that they'll probably do their best to appease the people who are riding on the PPs.
You've clearly never ran a business, because that's exactly what they should be doing.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aken
You've clearly never ran a business, because that's exactly what they should be doing.
I'm sorry, I don't understand your response. I was saying that they do that and it's a good thing that they do which makes them appealing as a manufacturer. And no, I've never run a business, but I'm pretty familiar with how it's done. You've obviously never taken reading comprehension very seriously.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry, I don't understand your response. I was saying that they do that and it's a good thing that they do which makes them appealing as a manufacturer. And no, I've never run a business, but I'm pretty familiar with how it's done. You've obviously never taken reading comprehension very seriously.
I had no problem understanding what you had said in your post Ray
with respect the fact that Michelin does listen to customer base more than
other manufacturers.

Not sure how or why Aken read your post and responded the way he did
either

Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 PM

dont if your talking about the michelin road 3 2ct's or not but, ive put 15,500 miles on the rear and the center is just now getting smooth with still more miles left...probably got 1500 or more miles left in it easily. ive been riding my bike every day in all conditions for year and a half now. these are the best tires ive used so far for my style of agressive street riding and touring. just my experiance with the michelin touring tires

Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
dont if your talking about the michelin road 3 2ct's or not
No we're not talking about roads we're talking about powers. The road is a sport touring tire, the pilots are sport only tires. There is now a road 3 and a power 3 tire.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aken

i never tried the pures, but i did ride a pair of 2cts... and i wasn't really impressed. i liked the standard old pp more myself...

Quick Reply: New michelin pilot 3's vs pures- bad michelin!!!!