Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New location

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New location

I've lived in Southern PA (born & raised), Northern PA, Southern California and now in Central Virginia.

So far, the absolute nicest place I've lived with regard to weather, convenience and scenic drives has been Southern California. Otherwise, too crowded and expensive.

PA has it's ups and downs and consists of a lot of retired folks that couldn't afford to move to florida.Since I've lived there all my life, I somewhat consider it home and will be biased on just about anything.

Virginia is very nice, scenic lots of backroads, friendly people and depending on where you live, cost of living isn't TOO bad. Only bad thing is a lot of northerners are moving in (I guess I'm one of them) driving up the cost of living, etc and where I live, it seems like before too long there will be an endless city between Charlottesville and Washington DC. Good for my house value, bad for the style of living I like(away from the city, but not too far that I can't enjoy some of the convenience). The only thing that I don't like about living in the south is the humidity in the summer. You end up spending more time indoors and it seems like spring and fall are the best times to do outdoorsy things.

I've read somewhere that Colorado is one of the nicest places to live climate-wise if you like having all 4 seasons but moderate winters and summers.

Personal preference is going to determine what you're going to like. I grew up in rurual south central PA and have somewhat returned to that lifestyle, but closer to a city. I've known people from SoCal who don't think they'd like living where I currently do. I guess it just where you come from.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worst place is socal! way high cost of living, bad air, bad water, bad traffic, etc...

why am i still here? i don't know...great weather only i guess? family and friends,...sigh...

Old 06-22-2007, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

ON ACTIVE DUTY MYSELF UNDERSTAND MOS 0321 (RECON) HOPE THING WORKOUT
yeah!!!! im trying to join, i wanna do 11B infantry. i didnt pass the physical test..I smoke and drink a lot, they made me run 2 miles within 16 mins.
and i did 1 mile and it took me like 19 mins..walking'd be faster.lol

Old 06-22-2007, 02:52 PM

Some decions I have to make.. could go back to WA (western side, close by Seattle) and live with my parents for a while.. (cheaper, free food I guess).

All of my fathers side of the family lives around the SOCAL area so that's definately an option. I have a good friend in Dallas, TX who said I could stay there. I also have a friend in Denver.. and NY (he said I could live with him for free!) Decisions decisions.. [:@]

Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM

dont move to ny every one is leaving they call this state the brain drain. over taxed on every thing cold as hell winters that are long as hell and crappy roads. i would know i live here

Old 06-22-2007, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

worst place is socal! way high cost of living, bad air, bad water, bad traffic, etc...

why am i still here? i don't know...great weather only i guess? family and friends,...sigh...
I lived OC for 2 years. I agree with the high cost of living, traffic, water (that seems to leave a white crust on everything) and coming over the mountain on Imperial Highway and looking down onto the brownish blanket of pollution that I was descending into to my condo just beneath.

My fondness for that area was limited to the climate, beaches and coastal regions, definitely friends and our frequent road trips up to places like Monterrey, San Simeon, Napa Valley, Paso Robles, etc.

Hell, I was still living out there (in Anaheim Hills area) when the big fires were going on in 2003 or 4 I believe. I remember coming outside and it looking like it was snowing from the ash falling from the sky. I had to wash all of my vehicles, even the one in the garage because that crap just seemed to get into everything.

Virginia has much cleaner air, much more lenient laws and restrictions on nearly everything, acutal 4 seasons instead of green and wet or brown and dry. Cost of living (Near Charlottesville) is still high for the area/income average, but at least we don't have Paris Hilton. Also, things that are known to cause cancer in the state of California don't affect you if you don't live in California.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 PM

Where in Oklahoma do you live? im right outside the city in Yukon

Old 06-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

Florida is too hot and too many straight roads. I hear alot of air traffic controllers get jobs running railroads and such. Anyway, the Carolinas have good BBQ, and even for this Yankee, I love good BBQ and that would influence my decision..

Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: txn_driver

Austin, Texas. Best place around man. cost of living isnt bad and the weather is good most of the year, there might be 10 days a year where you cant ride. Now SOCAL you can ride year round pretty much but the cost of living would kill you.
Exactly why I'm interviewing in Austin. I can still make well over 100K and buy actual acres with a big house.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:18 AM

Born and raised in minnesota so far. Pay is good rent is cheap. Good schools, freindly people, What else would you need ? I have also thought about moving looked at pro's and con's on most states figured some where in the midwest is the best. Only thing the sucks about this area is winter 3-4 months of just looking at your bike. Summer is a blast warm weather if its somewhat of a crappy day to ride it only 5-10 min to a lake no matter were you live. Forgot to mention there are some nice Twisties here and there.
Have fun making your choice.

Quick Reply: New location