Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New job

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New job

Well I've been working here for Ford as a dealer tech (mostly diesel trucks) for the past 11.5 years now..... I've enjoyed the actual work but sick and tired of all the BS that goes with it.... mainly getting paid flat rate, and never knowing if I'm actually gonna have a paycheck or not. Basically getting tired of working for free

This new job has actually been a loooong time in the making.... I had originally interviewed there almost 2 years ago, in the spring of 2013. I already knew that this particular company is hard as hell to get into and takes a looong time. But we were proceeding forward, but they don't generally hire outright, and they sent it through a temp service (a place I absolutely hate) as kind of a part time temp to hire. But I jumped through all their hoops, waited 5 months and finally was gonna start. They knew I had to keep my current job during the week since they wouldn't hire me on full time, and then wouldn't work with me at all on the one saturday a month where the schedules overlap by a couple hours. So I pretty much said screw it and just forgot about it as I was so frustrated with dealing with them at that point. Then completely out of the blue, a year and a half later, the original engineer that I had first interviewed with back in the spring called me and said he'd like to get me back in there. He said they're weren't going through the temp service this time and that they WOULD work with my schedule. So I went in and did the math and mechanical aptitude tests that they require, drug tests, paperwork, and finally had the new hire orientation this past tuesday, so everything is done and I'm ready to go. Scheduled to start bright and early tomorrow morning (sat) at 7 am. Only gonna be doing sat and sun for now 12 hrs each, and then a couple hours at night during the week as I'll still be working both jobs for awhile until we know it's a good fit and I like it and everything before I quit where I'm at now. So I'm pretty excited.... a little nervous as I'm getting into something completely new, but we'll see how it goes. The company is supposed to be fantastic to work for.... known around town as being "THE" place to work. The pay is very good, starting off it's only a couple dollars less than what I'm making on flat rate, and it's hourly..... so a steady income. And compared to the 5 days of PTO time I started off with here, I get 17 the first year at the new place.... definitely can't complain about that, lol. Among many others as well

The company is Continental Teves, if anybody has ever heard of them (HUUUGE worldwide company). This particular plant makes hydraulic control unit boxes for ABS/stability control systems for just about every auto manufacturer out there. Including many of the vehicles I currently work on. Sooooo tomorrow is the big day.... we'll see how it goes!

Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Good luck! I hope its everything you expect it to be, and more.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck buddy. I hope you enjoy it! Sounds like a good company to work for.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Congrats on the new job. Not too many things worse than being at a place you don't like.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new job. Be sure and post back on how the first day went.

When I switched companies back in 2008 I also had to work two jobs for a while. The old company required that I had to stay with them until a certain date if I wanted any benefits for the 25 years I'd been there. The new company wanted me to start right away. They were both full-time jobs.

Fortunately, one job was during the day and the other was evening. I somehow managed to work two 8-hour shifts each day M-F for almost 3 months. Not much sleep (maybe 3 hours per night) but after the first few weeks I got used to it. The money was great and I did not have any time to spend it.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Ironmang

Thanks everyone

Well I survived my first day, lol. Not gonna lie 12 hours on your feet definitely makes for long day.... but it's all good. It actually went very very well! What helped tremendously was my buddy that works there..... not only was he working today and starting the same time I was (keep in mind this place runs 24 hrs/day 7 days a week). So I just met him there in the cafeteria first thing this morning and he took me all around and showed me where everything was, got me all set up with everything, and then I'm working on his line so he's the one training me as well. So having somebody there that I knew definitely helped calm the nerves a lot, and I actually rather enjoyed it. He didn't do the 12 hour shift so he left at 3:00 and I had to stay until 7:00, but I just stayed with the other 2 guys there and all was well. Although everything did kinda go crazy after he left as we did a change out (started making a different part so had to change the tooling around some) and several of the machines just would NOT cooperate, haha. So when 3rd shift came in we told them gooooood luck, lol.

All in all though I think I'm gonna like it there.... everybody seems real cool and it's one of those jobs where you have to get creative and actually use your brain and do a little thinking outside the box.... which I love. I absolutely can't stand a repetitive mindless job that's just the same thing over and over. So I think it'll work out, just a loooottttt to learn

Old 01-25-2015, 02:18 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great! Glad you had a good first day, always a bit daunting, good thing you got a buddy there.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Ironmang

Originally Posted by hawkwind
That's great! Glad you had a good first day, always a bit daunting, good thing you got a buddy there.
Absolutely! Having him helped out tremendously..... I'm very shy so going into place completely new and now knowing anybody can be a bit overwhelming for me (which is why I usually hate first days)

Anyways, quick update.... 4 days in and all is well..... going great! I did the 2 12 hour days on the weekends, and now I'm going in for a couple hours 3 nights a week after I get off the other job (it's right across the street, lol). So I met some new people this week working with the 2nd shift crew. Everybody I've met has been super cool, the one main guy on our line on 2nd shift has been there a loooong long time and is probably one of the most calm, laid back people you could ever meet..... very very good for explaining things (much like my buddy is on the weekends). Everybody I've met there so far has been awesome..... it's a very positive atmosphere and everybody seems happy. I have yet to come across anybody that doesn't seem happy there..... so that's a good sign. I'm really liking it though.... it' definitely a LOT to learn, but I'll get there eventually. They all say it takes a good solid 6 months to really get everything down.... it's not something you learn overnight

But yea I'm really liking it so far..... I think it'll work out... at least I hope so

Oh and did I mention the best part?? Covered bike only parking right at the main entrance! There' even a metal plate on the pavement the whole way across for kickstands. I like it! Of course I seem to be the only one riding there in January.... oh well

Name:  0125151353_zpsivoxqc4a.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  1.60 MB

Last edited by thirdgenlxi; 01-29-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new job. High tech manufacturing is fun and lost cleaner than being a diesel wrench.

I spent years designing and programming that kind of tooling for inkjet pen manufacturing. Good stuff. BTW, are you sure your employer allows picture taking? Mine sure doesn't...

Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Ironmang

Originally Posted by LimitedSlip
Congrats on the new job. High tech manufacturing is fun and lost cleaner than being a diesel wrench.

I spent years designing and programming that kind of tooling for inkjet pen manufacturing. Good stuff. BTW, are you sure your employer allows picture taking? Mine sure doesn't...
Hmmmm good point.... didn't think of that. Edited to be on the safe side....