Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The new and improved MotoGP

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new and improved MotoGP

First... how can something be new and improved? Which is it, new or improved... you can't have both.

Anyways, I haven't notice any of us talking about it yet so I thought I'd bring it up.

What's the feeling on MotoGP going down to 800cc bikes?

Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Default RE: The new and improved MotoGP

I don't know the reasoning for lowering the CC limit, but I do know that they'll still have retarded amounts of power.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Retired Administrator

I haven't read anything official... but I assume it's because the bikes are reaching an average speed of 200mph and are above 200 often. Plus, it makes winning harder by running smaller engines, they will work harder to do more with less. Make sense? I mean you can only do so much with a bicycle, but the ones we have today are much faster than the ones built 10 years ago. So maybe this will bring new changes to suspension and handling and so on.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:05 AM

I imagine we'll see more manufacturers with new 750cc engines, not just suzuki.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:09 AM

the honda 800 is about a half second slower per lap than the 990 and there are rumors that the ducati 800 is actually doing faster laps than their 990
basically with they 800s they are going to be increasing the RPMs so after a couple years they will be just as fast as the 990s and probably a bit more "tempermental" not quite like the 500s but they will definitely be a handful especially considering how little they weigh, to give you an idea of how small/light they are here is the suzuki 800:

actually i'm not sure how some of the taller riders will even be able to go to full tuck
some more of Liam's pics:
http://www.motoliam.com/2006/09/motegi_by_monday.html

its definitely going to be interesting to see who comes out on top with the new bikes, the 250 riders will probably have more of an advantage than they already do
we'll see if the new honda is as revolutionary as the RC211V was when they first introduced it

Old 09-28-2006, 11:14 PM

the reason they decided ultimately to lower the CC was due to the accident which claimed daijiro Kato's life at suzuka. it was done to restrict performance to a degree, these current motogp bikes do 0 to 100 km/h (60mph) in 2.1 secs and can reach speeds of 350kmh, however, the new 800s are lapping at actually the same if not better lap times, at least the ducatti was and others were yet to release their bikes, although they have now. the bikes are more agile, meaning their are alternate lines to corners available, yet at this point they have lower top speeds. the change probably wouldnt have happened if honda hadnt pushed for it, just like they did when they changed from 500cc 2 stroke to 990 4 stroke. the use of oval pistons has been banished, so it will be interesting to see what new tricks honda come up with. some say that honda are really running motogp from a political point, but i say, let them try anything they can to try and compete with rossi. its obvious that hes much better than the competition.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why something can't be new AND improved. For example...the 07 CBR1000 is new...and it's an improvement over the 06 model.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Retired Administrator

Yeah, but I was looking at it from the 800cc class. It's not improved because it's new. Never been done before.

So to me when they say new... I expect "never done before". The CBR 1000RR has been here a few years, so it's just this years model.

And besides... I was being a smartass.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Look at this CBR (I think it's a CBR-Repsol). Notice the full chain-through swing arm, Front brake rotors, and the exhaust right before the shifter! Is it just me or does that chain look REALLY long? Last but not least lets all focus our attention on that puss covering his ears instead of wearing earplugs. He looks like he's going to cry! LOL

Old 09-29-2006, 05:27 PM

I imagine it won't be much different than F1 going from 3 liter V10s to 2.4 liter V8s. The competition will still be great and the engineers will work just as hard to make the smaller motors perform. It'll still be damn good racing.

Quick Reply: The new and improved MotoGP