Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New Computer Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Computer Question

I have a program on an old computer, so my question is, is there any way to get them program off and onto my new computer??

Old 04-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: New Computer Question

If you have the install file just burn it to a cd, or network it to the other computer. If you dont have the install file that becomes a lil bit trickier.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:42 PM

How do I Know if I have the install fine. Is that a Windows -> Programs -> program name type deal or what, lol. I dont know jack when it comes to this stuff, which I am pretty sire is known by now, hahahah

Old 04-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Have you ever downloaded a program of anykind? When you do you will have to double click on it, then it will open and start running the program to install it. Basiclly you need that original file, once its installed you cant really just send it to another computer, if that makes any sense.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Well, I downoaded it off a CD, I am really good at losing CD's haha, IS that bad?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM

yeah go to your directory.. so like (start -> run -> browse -&gt in the directory you go to( -> program files -> program name file -&gt just right click the program name file and "copy"

now you have many ways to transfer it to your other computer, you can put it on external hard-drive, burn it on a CD, USB to USB..

external hard-drive - if you have one, just hook it up to your old computer and then take that "copied" program file and paste it where ever you want in the external hard-drive. Then disconnect theexternal hard-drive and connect it to theother computer and then just do the same "copy & paste" method but from theexternal hard-driveto thecomputer's hard-drive and BAM, it should be there. (copy& pasting will not work for like application like "windows xp"because alot of it's files are scattered around the hard-drive)

burn a CD -if you have a burner and a CD with the sufficient amount of MB's to hold the programfile, insert the CD and then go to Roxio or anytype ofburning program and just click "storage type" for the type of CD it will be. then just paste the programfile into the burning program andthen "burn" it..afterit's burnt, take it to theother computer and insert it -if this computerhas a burner also, it should be able to copy and paste the file to yourhard-drive and BAM, it shouldbe there.

USB to USB - well justconnect the two computer together, i've never really done this becauseI have external hard-drives (2 of them) -but the theory is you justUSBboth the computers and they should accesseachothers hard-drives.. just copy and paste the program file from the old computer to the othercomputer's hard-drivefromEITHER computer (seeing how they both access eachother,it can be doneon either one) andBAM, it should be there.

If the program doesnt run after you copy and pasted it, then it might just be a file or it's a complex program and actually need to have the "original CD"or the zipped file. (think of it this way, if your running with a briefcase (the file) from point A to point B and the briefcase is open, your gonna loose some files along the way - a zipped file or original CD is like a closed or locked briefcase, but when your at the desination - you can open her up and everything is organized and there)

I hope this helps a bit..

Old 04-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

How the hell did you become a mod here You should just pack up your computer and send it to me, and never touch a computer again LOL

Old 04-13-2008, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR
Basiclly you need that original file, once its installed you cant really just send it to another computer, if that makes any sense.
you can.. but alot of programs now a days scatter themselves out around the hard-drive, so if you do just copy and paste - it will not work. But it's worth a shot before going to the next step (torrents), seeing how your bad with CD's. (trust me, I loose CD's like feesbies - when i do, i just torrent the file onto a external for future use.)

but wait, Aren't torrents illegal? Yes and no, they are illegal if someone downloads a program that they dont already have (ie, brought from a store) but if you owned a copy of it before, it's pefectly legal to download them. It's better to have the Zipped file on them on a external hard-drive anyways. CD's are old technology and get scratched, lost or broken.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Thanks for clarifying Verm, i only said what i did is that its a semi complicated task usually to dig out what you need. I would say its not really for the computer illiterate..............like.............uhhhh.... ...........*cough* D2D *cough*

Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM

Hey, ya dont need to know computers to know bikes, lol, haha, just kidding. I can do stuff on a computer and I can do anything program wise, but clearing computers and transfering stuff is not my fortay! I tried putting the program file on a usb then opening it on the new one and doing it that way but it didnt work

Quick Reply: New Computer Question