Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

new computer need gamers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new computer need gamers

Hey everyone. I am graduating this year from college. My first laptop I bought freshman year. Well a couple days ago it decides to take a crap (HDD). Well I broke down and finally bought a laptop with some performance.

T7300 intel core 2 duo 2.0 ghz 4mb l2 cache
120 gig internal, 500 gig external. both sata. external is firewired.
2 gig ram
intel x3100 accelerated. i could not justify the price for the dedicated card laptop i wanted.
intel 965 chipset so i can run 384 megs of ram for video.

impressive system compared to my last one. I have never played any type of video games but I did build a system for my brother (a gamer) that can put mine to shame. Its easier to build a high performance box than a laptop.

my question: what games can be played on my laptop that are good for a beginner such as myself. they have to be easy with a light learning curve. my bro said something about command and conquer? i looked it up and there are like 50 versions. anyone have any idea what version he would have been talking about?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new computer need gamers

C&C 3 Tiberium Wars is the newest one. I have yet to play it besides a demo, but it looked decent. Company of Heroes is also a good RTS that is based off of WWII.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM

upgrade your graphics. Your not going to be playing any new games with that card. No Crysis, COD4, UT4, hell not even Guitar Hero 3.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 PM

I found "Command and Conquer: Red Alert" to be the most fun. There's also (if you like micromanage games where you build stuff and do some fighting, like in the command and conquer games), I would recommend "Black and White 2" (you don't have to play the first one to play the second, and you get to play a "god"), Some people really like "The Sims" games (I'm not a big fan). Also, most any first person shooter will have a real easy learning curve. If you want one that's really fun to play and has nice graphics (but not the kinda "nice" that bogs a system down real bad, which you will have issues with, sadly, because of your non-dedicated graphics card) I would HIGHLY recommend the first "Serious Sam" game... (not the newest one). That game is HILLARIOUS fun, got some funny jokes in there to make you smile, and monsters to kill by the truckloads (some levels will have you topping over 600+ body counts).

If you want to scale back some graphics... there's the scary first person shooter "F.E.A.R."... there's the evil (but fun) World of Warcraft and all of it's earlier non-mmo iterations (Warcraft 1,2,3). There's BioShock (another big crank the graphics back game). Also... if you like post apocalyptic hack-n-slash games, I would highly recommend Hellgate London. (It's like Diablo/Diablo II, which you could try out and they don't take an expensive graphics setup, only alot newer, cooler, and alot more things to do with the ability to go first person and now you've got futuristic weaponry)

Anyways... there's several options for you right there... any other questions, feel free to let me know.

~~I use a laptop as my main gaming machine... but it's a gaming laptop from Alienware.~~

Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Red Alert was always my favorite too, with Tiberium Sun coming in a close second. Red Alert II (looked too cartoonish) and Generals (EA really dropped the ball) lost it for me. The original C&C was also a lot of fun, but RA was definitely the best. However, I don't think it runs on anything new, unless they re-released a version which I am sure they have, my copy works only on Windows 98.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 PM

if your into RTS company of heroes is pretty much the sh-t.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:34 PM
VP

crysis looks incredible... I'm no computer gamer but I know not to put it in this peice of crap

Old 12-07-2007, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: terror

if your into RTS company of heroes is pretty much the sh-t.
You are correct sir. I couldnt stop playing it when it came out, but when Opposing Fronts came out for it, I bought it and only played like twice. I really need to play that game more.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Counter Strike Source!!! w00t

Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM

If you are going to be playing on the Internet, I would reccomend either the legendary CS Source or CS. Also any of the BattleField games are good just pick your time frame. +1 on C&C those games r beast and look into Age of Empires 2(classic) but a deff keeper.

Quick Reply: new computer need gamers