Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need help with Honda finance & insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your dealer was telling you the truth. You don't necessarily need the have full coverage on the bike under Honda finance. However, and this is a big however, if that bike goes down and is totalled and Honda becomes aware of that fact, you'll be required to pay off the rest of the bike right there, AFAIK. Although, I don't get why you would bother getting a brand new bike and not get the full coverage.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with my room mate to a couple of local bike dealers, and he was most interested in Honda and Kawasaki. He did the financing paperwork for both. I was with him at the Kawi dealer, and couldnt believe the things the sales person was saying. Apparently, and my guess is to sell more bikes, their loans departments can now process the bike as unsecured debt. Unsecured debt is the exact same thing as a credit card. So by changing the type of debt the loan becomes, they can circumvent the insurance requirement for full coverage on a motorcycle (which lets be honest, no 18-24 year old can afford).

Bottom line - If you total that shiny new bike, no one is going to pay to fix it, or pay off the loan. Now you are stuck with years of payments, for something that may be completely useless. Isnt capitalism great?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's why I personally don't buy new bikes or new cars....or even new house....see the thing about buying new, you are paying for luxury. It's all new!!! But the minute you drive off the lot, it's used and value drop 20%...even if you only have 200 miles on the motor. Dealer won't take it back. In your case, still within cooling down period, try it...if they take it back, do it!!! Get something used, be patience, save up and pay it off.....then get liability insurance. Best to stay within our means....or else you'll put yourself in a tough position to get out of.

Last edited by estate4life; 09-02-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, you won't be forced to get full coverage on it.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM

I highly doubt you can return the bike. If the dealer did take it back, thank your lucky stars. For them, a sale is a sale.

As for your dilemma, say hi to the Taliban for me! Its been a few years since they tried to shoot me down

But seriously, do you have a safe place to store the bike? Parents locked garage? On base storage? Local off base secured storage (make sure you pay 9 months in full ahead of time, dont need them auctioning off your belongings for a late payment!)

Anyway, Id keep the bike, make sure it is locked away in a super safe place (on base is the best! Do you know anyone with base housing?)

As far as insurance, I would get whatever covers theft (comprehensive?) and thats it, and tell them it is in storage and will not be ridden. Dont let them tell you there is no such thing, there is, and I have it. Go with State Farm, they are by far the cheapest on all insurance (home, renters, motorcycle, car).

Cheers.

P.S. What FOB in Trashcanistan will you be calling home?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM

For your sake, I hope it isnt Kandahar... that place is bananas now. They built Leatherneck after I was gone, but its joined to the Brits Camp Bastion from what I understand.. anyway, I hope you get a small FOB somewhere, at least there wont be too much brass around to harass you.

Quick Reply: Need help with Honda finance & insurance