Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need help with drivers test!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with drivers test!

So my cousin will be having her drivers test coming up here very shortly. I don't remember what's all involved as I am trying to teach her. Anybody remember exactly whats all in the course. Meaning what can they fail and what do they have to pass. I remember people at one time could fail either parallel parking or 90 degree backing? Any other hints and tricks?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 PM

It's different for every state. And even then, the instructors seem to base the test on how confident the driver seems. I showed up and we drove a circle around the building and backed around a corner because I knew how to drive and was confident. Others had to do U turns, parallel park, and tons of stuff because they were jittery. Just play a bunch of Gran Turismo and she'll be good.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont quite remember just tell her to get a good nights rest the night before, and eat a good size healthy breakfast. stay calm and be confident.. i am taking my motorcycle drive test tomorrow should be intresting

Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 AM

It all depends on where you go, the instructor, and your confidence as mentioned. All i had to do was drive down a road, pull over, reverse down the shoulder for like 5 seconds, do a k turn and drive back, it took less than 5 minutes. I knew people that failed because they couldnt parallel park, or had to do all sorts of other stuff i didnt have to. When i was taking the lessons before i got my permit my instructor said they just look for that and stupid little stuff like looking left, right, then left at stops, not crossing over the shoulder lines when doing the k turn in the road, etc. Make sure she knows the basics and is confident behind the wheel and shell be fine. Being a good parallel parker could never hurt though...you know...just in case.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM

In VA we didn't have a short driving test as it seems everyone is describing. We had the computer (written) part and then once we passed that and got our learners we had to do 20 hours of "behind the wheel" with an instructor. After that it was a waiting game until we were issued our license.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.

Like most girls she isn't confident like most males are with getting behind the wheel. I have been making her do 90 degree backing for the most part. Showing her also how to park on a up hill and down hill. Back when I did the testing I know we could fail on the parallel parking and still pass easily.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 AM

you could always see if this method helps....

YouTube - Talladega nights: Speed or Jail?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell 'em to watch for the old trick, where the tester walks out with you and asks you to move the car before they get in...automatic failure to drive the car without instructor or tester on-board to supervise without a license.

I know someone who's kid feel for it. ;-)

Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

also make sure that she ask the instructor to put on their seat belt. moving the vehical with out all passenger safely buckeled in is a failure in nevada

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Tell 'em to watch for the old trick, where the tester walks out with you and asks you to move the car before they get in...automatic failure to drive the car without instructor or tester on-board to supervise without a license.

I know someone who's kid feel for it. ;-)
Originally Posted by LJ Harp
also make sure that she ask the instructor to put on their seat belt. moving the vehical with out all passenger safely buckeled in is a failure in nevada
OMG so messed up. I thought you were supposed to listen to authoritay at 16?

DMV should have a booklet for new drivers explaining laws, the dangers of alchohol and testing procedures for your state.

Quick Reply: Need help with drivers test!