Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need a computer Guru!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need a computer Guru!!

Long story short I formatted my SD card that had some important pictures I'd like back. I ran a recovery program and got a few of them back, however there are a bunch that seem to have been recovered entirely (judging my the size of the file) but are corrupted or broken. Can they be fixed?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man i hop you get em fixed. When i ran my restore i compressed and sent all my photos to to my email, as well as put them on a thumb drive.

I hope you get them back though. Nothing is worse than loosing abunch of photos.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 AM

man that sucks. I would do some google searching. Are the files just icons? if so, you may have desiginate a viewer for them.

But, my gut says once you formatted it, your out of luck. You can recover deleted pictures, but only if nothing has been done with the card since the delete.

Im not very savy when it comes to this type of thing though. but at least I can give your thread a bump in case someone out there does.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A former boss of mine, who used to work in the computer security department for the military, once said that anything that has been deleted from a HDD can be recovered. You might have to pay a little and send the card to someplace that offers this service. Maybe there are some that will not charge you anything if they cannot recover any files.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Usually when you format a sd card/thumb drive/disc you will get a pop up before you proceed saying something like everything will be deleted and are you sure you want to format........did you get that? Like RoadiJeff said, yes there is a way but those pictures better be worth it cause you will pay....a lot....

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM

I probably did get that but I most likely thought I had already transferred them

Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM

I highly doubt you can recover these corrupted photos. If this was on a HDD then it wouldn't be difficult at all. However, since this is a an SD card, the files are no longer stored on the drive once deleted. Also, the more the SD was used since the photos were deleted the less likely you will be able to recover them. My only advice would be to try using several different recovery programs if you can't get them all back with one, however I wouldn't be optimistic. Good Luck.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try this http://www.diskdoctors.net/recover-l...tal-photo.html

and try google TONS of free options out there if you just look. Normally a single format wont make things unrecoverable, a quick format def doesnt as all it dones is remove the first bit of the file(s) that contains the info for the file(s). So all this does is tell the hdd that space is avail for use. A full format over writes that space. A DoD wipe or better of a HDD is pretty much unrecoverable except for the very experienced with expensive software, and then its still iffy. A magnet will make a hdd trash n unrecoverable as will a hammer

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Normally a single format wont make things unrecoverable, a quick format def doesnt as all it dones is remove the first bit of the file(s) that contains the info for the file(s). So all this does is tell the hdd that space is avail for use.

I agree, however his photos were not on an HDD, rather an SD card. I am no expert on solid state drives, however in my experience they are very very difficult to recover old files.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragnar1x
I agree, however his photos were not on an HDD, rather an SD card. I am no expert on solid state drives, however in my experience they are very very difficult to recover old files.
True, but same concept. IMO there are very few of us that has anything on our computers much less a sdcard worth paying to recover if lost. Yes it sux, would **** me off, but I wouldnt pay to have some1 recover it if I couldnt do it myself. But thats just me n my opinion lol

Quick Reply: Need a computer Guru!!