Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

my mom got her bike today

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my mom got her bike today

my mom got her bike today a red honda shadow 600 2007. its her first bike now both by brothers ride, i ride, my sister rides, and my mom and her fiance (harley, he did not like my bike, but he rode it sevral times...).

she is not riding till she is married in april and has health insruance so now theres a perfectly nice bike in my driveway with no one to ride it. i dont have a bike for another month or two so now i will try to convice her to let me ride it. i am hoping the i will break it in for you will work lol.

her fiance like many harley riders does not wear a helmet. she made a comment before like when i get good at riding in a few months i will not wear a helmet. so i told her if she try to ride with out her helment i am slashing her tires lol. i was able to convince her she needs to wear gear. so she gets a red leather jacket and gloves but they are not for riding so i doubt they will do anything.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned
Default RE: my mom got her bike today

Show her a few videos on YouTube or that one email with the dude who's head went into the back of a tractor-trailer....that's pretty compelling evidence.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM

www.ride2die.com

let her look over a few of those pictures...then again, she will probably never ride that thing after she sees a few of those ones.

if you love riding i dont reccoment that sight haha..scared the hell outa me for awhile.. but im over it

Old 03-12-2008, 11:53 PM

Hah thats cool...I could never imagine either of my parents on bikes[&:]

Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: jdschmidt

www.ride2die.com

let her look over a few of those pictures...then again, she will probably never ride that thing after she sees a few of those ones.

if you love riding i dont reccoment that sight haha..scared the hell outa me for awhile.. but im over it
That site just made me sick to my stomach. I still have yet to ride and am waiting to go through the MSF and begin to ride with my friends and that is just scary as **** to look at.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 AM

Not to thread jack... But what the hell is the purpose of that web site?! What really gets me is the blank spots where it says, "your picture here." That site makes no sence to me. Its just a bucnch of pictures of bike accidents. Is there a site called Drive to Die? Sorry but that site just makes me angry. Maybe Im taking it the wrong way. Sorry for the thread jack!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 AM

I think it is to hammer home a point of statistics is all. It has it's place. Maybe something to think of before you go "hey this will be cool" I mean really, you can stab the gas on a car or lock up the brakes, do a burn-out in a car, with some minimal results or maybe a slight "whoops". but we all know on a bike that can be quite different, sometimes ending in real serious consequences, and at best, several hundred dollars for plastics and whatnot, even going 5MPH. Hell, theres been times, facing danger, I thought, hell, I could run off here, maybe tear a bumper, or my truck is bigger, I'll be ok, sure it'll suck but I wasn't worried about death, broken bones or anything. Now if I applied that same rational to a bike, it turns big time. That wet road, the dude pulling in front of me, whatever, if something goes wrong, I got a HUGE possibility of me+road= no fun at best. I think newer folks don't realize the increase in risk and injury when it goes south on a bike vs south in a car under the same and almost what would seem easy circumstances. I mean, we wouldn't think twice about a car crash at 15MPH, but even what would seem minimal, that same intersection and crash at 15MPH on a bike could land you under a car, over the hood, into a windsheild.........hugely a set of greater risks and odds being on two wheels, well thats my .02 anyway.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM

Tell her she owns a Honda-not an HD and Honda owner are smater then that. Gear is a must and being a new rider it's a dubble must. Like was said show her some crash video's with people missing skin or there helmets all rashed up and let her know that there head would have looked at worse.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Yeah I can understand the need for that site but come on[:'(]. I never took the msf course but I have been wondering if they show a lot of those videos or pictures on there?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

I think it is to hammer home a point of statistics is all. It has it's place. Maybe something to think of before you go "hey this will be cool" I mean really, you can stab the gas on a car or lock up the brakes, do a burn-out in a car, with some minimal results or maybe a slight "whoops". but we all know on a bike that can be quite different, sometimes ending in real serious consequences, and at best, several hundred dollars for plastics and whatnot, even going 5MPH. Hell, theres been times, facing danger, I thought, hell, I could run off here, maybe tear a bumper, or my truck is bigger, I'll be ok, sure it'll suck but I wasn't worried about death, broken bones or anything. Now if I applied that same rational to a bike, it turns big time. That wet road, the dude pulling in front of me, whatever, if something goes wrong, I got a HUGE possibility of me+road= no fun at best. I think newer folks don't realize the increase in risk and injury when it goes south on a bike vs south in a car under the same and almost what would seem easy circumstances. I mean, we wouldn't think twice about a car crash at 15MPH, but even what would seem minimal, that same intersection and crash at 15MPH on a bike could land you under a car, over the hood, into a windsheild.........hugely a set of greater risks and odds being on two wheels, well thats my .02 anyway.
And thats fine with me. Im all for educating new riders. And even we need a reminder now and then. But the spots that say,"Your picture here" dont float my boat. To me thats like some guy coming up to me and telling me how dangerous my bike is and how Im going to kill myself. Its not needed. And thats how I look at that site. I know the risks of riding. I choose to ride. And I choose to look at that web site. But the message I get from the siteis... We will all end up on there. But I think thats just me.

Any way... To the OP. Any way you can, get her to always wear a helmet and gear. And ride smart.

Quick Reply: my mom got her bike today