Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My itunes on my new computer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My itunes on my new computer?

Well i broke down and bought me a nice new computer today..one thing i need is my itunes..my old computer i had 600+ songs on it. so i installed itunes on the new one and i cant seem to figure out how to get my stuff on here...should i just plug my ipod in and let it go back on? (if that will even work) i thought i read on there somewhere i could get it on up to 3 seperate computers..what am i missing here?

thank.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Default RE: My itunes on my new computer?

no do not plug your ipod in...by default itunes will sync it with your new library of nothingness most likely. You have to go into your old computer(most likely in the my documents/music/itunes/itunes music) and copy all the folders in there to your new computer in the same file location. Or you can go into itunes settings and check the manage my library for me tab, and just drag all the folders into itunes and it will copy all of them into that folder for you.
for this you will need a large flash drive and do it in several parts, or an external hard drive. The external hard drive isnt a bad idea to have to back everything up anyways.

did you buy all these songs off of itunes?? If so you can just activate or whatever your new computer and you should be able to do download them all again...

Old 10-03-2008, 10:03 AM

yeah do not plug your ipod in....rez is pretty much right, youll have to get a flash or external hd and transfer all the songs (wherever they are located) onto the new computer....

Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Sounds confusing..so now i have to set my old compuer up..and back all the files on to a disk..and put them on my new computer?

I am really new to this. so more details would be cool..Thanks..

Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to transfer the files from on location to another. You have a few options to do this. You can 1) Use a flash drive 2) you can use an external hard drive 3) you can share the files out on your old computer and copy them to the new one via your network 4) you can remove the hard drive from the old system and put it in the new computer 5) hell, you can upload the files to a server somewhere, if you or someone you know has hosting, and download them to the new computer. Either way you choose, you need to get files from point a to point b. You also may be able to set itunes not sync when an ipod is plugged in and then copy them that way. However, if you bought any of them from the itunes store it wont let you copy them from the ipod.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:40 PM

I think a flash drive sounds easiest. ill probably pick one up at work tonight...see how far i can get with that..Thanks man!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:50 PM

600 songs shouldnt be too bad. Maybe 2 trips with a 1GB drive. If you get a 2GB you may be able to make it in one. Moving my 12,000 song library over would prove more difficult...lol.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:09 PM

yeah man..on my old limewire account i had probably every song known to man. but as i get tired of songs i take them off my itunes. so my ipod doesnt get that messed up. i just want them on my computer cause whenever im on it i like to listen to music. how much do flash drives usually cost..spent all my money upgrasding to the 22" monitor haha.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM

Normally pretty cheap. $5-50 depending on what you want.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM

I recommend iPodCopy software. I think it's $20 or something, and allows you to copy the content from your iPod to iTunes. It's very easy to use, you can use it on up to 3 PC's, and it is a whole lot faster than using a flash drive to jump between machines.
Or, maybe you could try setting up a LAN (just plug an ethernet cable between your 2 PC's) and transfer them that way.
iPodCopy has saved my music library more than once, so I recommend it highly!

Quick Reply: My itunes on my new computer?