Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

my computer is done for, help me out

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my computer is done for, help me out

i woke up to find my computer in a puddle of water sunday, i think someone split **** on it but they all deny it, my one roommate was pretty defensive about it when i asked "did you come in my room last night" his replay was "no you can ask my girlfriend she was with me all night" that leads me to beleive maybe he did it , on accident of course. but has anyone ever had a computer doused in water, do they come back to life, or am i screwed on it, ive already got a best buy credit card to go buy a new one, but i would hate to buy a new one and then have mine come back to life. donations accepted.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my computer is done for, help me out

Depends on whats been drenched in water. If its the mother board your screwed. More than likely i'd but money on you having to get a new computer. That really sucks man.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM

Let the thing dry out really well for a couple of days. Take your case cover off and let everything ventilate. Then cross your fingers and plug her up and turn it on. I dropped my cell phone in a toilet once. I let it dry out for 2 days and it works fine. I know a computer is different, but as long as it wasn't on when it got wet there may be hope.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 PM

Well as a last resort before you go buy a new one is you can let it dry out COMPLETELY. I have seen some computers come back after been dropped into the ocean... long shot.. but you got nothing to loose at this point. Let it dry out, use a hair dryer if you like, just make sure it is BONE DRY and then fire it up. If it works great, if not, oh well. You might be able to salvage the hard drive to get your files if the rest is toast. Give it a chance, nothing to loose.

MDFF

Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 PM

funny story about this... i bought that motorola razr cell phone and in a week i dropped it in water.. i tried using it and half the buttons didn't work i thought oh great im screwed now a few days later i dropped it again and then i thought **** i wont be able to use any buttons...when i look all the buttons worked now after i dropped it...crazy stuff with these electronics.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hrm. if there is any water in there still i would beg to say the motherboard is grounded, which will keep it from doing anything at all. what kind of symptoms are you getting? any noise when the computer turns on, power supply booting, anything on the screen? or is not doing anything at all?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 PM

As long as you let it dry out, and it was JUST water, and you DID NOT turn on any kind of power it should be OK. I have seen video lottery machines submerged to the screens, let them dry out and they worked without a problem.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:48 PM

I once had a buddy in the Navy who spilled a whole beer on his laptop. The thing wouldn't do anything and he was paying payments on this thing. He goes out and buys another one and sends the other one home. At Christmas he goes home and for ****s and giggles tries the old computer and it WORKED! So I don't really know what to tell you.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 PM

Yeah, pretty much do what everyone else has said...haha. I had a cellphone that got washed and didnt dry out for like 2 weeks and then finally started working, so you might be able to save it.
________
Medical marijuana

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:18 PM

see this all the time in my business (industrial computer sales). Here is the skinny:

let it dry out completey- couple of days should work
if no power was on then you should be OK after drying out
I hope you haven't tried to power it on while still wet- not good at all
open up the case and clean any residue you see with a towel (dry)

hard drive should be OK if not turned on, along with other componenets. the system board is what you really have to worry about.

let us know.

Quick Reply: my computer is done for, help me out