Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My 4th Amendment Rights (or lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 4th Amendment Rights (or lack thereof)

I ride with a tinted windscreen at night...shove that up your pipe and smoke it. But ya, if you wear sunglasses, you don't have to worry about being hassled about the visor being up.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit

You guys mentioned that you wear sunglasses and don't get hasseled, but I was wondering what do you guys do when you ride at night??
Didn't Corey Hart already answer that question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLEuWEvH5GI

Old 06-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: riegnman

Unfortunately those "bigger fish" aren't all of the crooks in the white house and congress.

They should pass a law that congress has to wear eye protection whenever they are in session. All of the crap flying around in there is a lot worse that anything that we'll encounter on the roads.

ORIGINAL: marc0011

Sorry to hear that the 50 put downer in what would have been a perfect night to ride. I got to say, I NEVER have my visor down. Even if its raining, the visor is still up. I enjoy the feeling of the wind. Ive been pretty lucky in DC, the 50 always has bigger fish to fry.
LOL... I went to sit in on a session once. Forget about the floor, there should have been a warning for us to wear eye protection.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 AM

You did the right thing here. "Kill them with kindness" is the key. It's hard, I know. The problem is that cops, (and people in general), that have to do things like that to make themselves feel important are already at a disadvantage. All they know is anger and flying off on someone. When you get smart with them or return the aggression, you are playing right into their hands and they feed off of you.
If you are kind and keep your voice low and even, it psychologically disarms them and they don't know how to proceed. Not to mention that it makes it a lot easier to prove that you were right in the end.

I've been doing therapeutic foster care for nearly 10 years now. Our program is the last step between these kids and jail, bootcamp, residential care, juvenile detention or a mental hospital. I have had around 30 kids come and go and they have all been just like the cop that you described.

They are under the impression that the louder they get means that they have proven their point better. My 10-year-old son has picked up on this and when they start going off, he gets a softer, easier tone to his voice. The easier he gets, the louder they get. Then when it's all over, he walks away with a big grin on his face. It's rather fulfilling to know that you have won an argument without resorting to violence or anger.

Now, I don't agree with the first comment about cops being jerks for the most part.Granted, there are cops that are jerks. I think however, that for the most part, they are people just like me and you that are doing a very difficult job for very little compensation.

ORIGINAL: fbeatty1

Cops are jerks for the most part. I got pulled over doing 5 MPH in a parking lot because my shield was cracked open on the first click. It was a 94 outside and I was going to class (a long while back). A cop had someone else pulled over and yelled "SHIELD!!!!' so I slapped the shield down. He yelled at me to pull over so I did. He then proceeds to yell at the top of his lungs about what I am doing wrong and my $hitty attitude. Now the 4 people in front of the building about 50 feet away hear him and can't believe it.

So i just figured since I already had a ticket, I would push it. He came back over and explained the ticket. I politely signed it and looked him right in the face. I told him, "if you are going to enforce the law, maybe you should obey it...". He got really bent out of shape yelled "what are you talking about". I told him very nicely that the Ray Bans he was wearing were not shatterproof and he was breaking the law. He said they were shatter resistant and I told him the law states they have to be shatterproof. Needless to say, I got told off some more.

A half hour later I reported him to his supervisor. The supervisor kept trying to get me to lose my cool, but I wouldn't. Ten minutes later, Mr. motorcycle cop was called back to the station and giving me an apology...

Sometimes life works out By the way, I took the ticket to court and beat it...

Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Banned

I don't think the 4th amendment works in this case.

The claim is that driving is a priviledge granted by the state, not a right provided by the constitution. I think that when you accept your driving license one of the many things you sign is that you will follow the laws and follow the direction given by the Police.

So essentially what you are pissed off about is that you broke the rules and you got gigged. $80 ticket for no inspection and you got yelled at for two other things, that is the cost of doing business my friend. Whether the cops are useless ******** or not is immaterial, guys like you make it profitable for them to have these checkpoints where they can sit on their fat asses and give out $80 tickets without even working for it.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I don't think the 4th amendment works in this case.

The claim is that driving is a priviledge granted by the state, not a right provided by the constitution. I think that when you accept your driving license one of the many things you sign is that you will follow the laws and follow the direction given by the Police.

So essentially what you are pissed off about is that you broke the rules and you got gigged. $80 ticket for no inspection and you got yelled at for two other things, that is the cost of doing business my friend. Whether the cops are useless ******** or not is immaterial, guys like you make it profitable for them to have these checkpoints where they can sit on their fat asses and give out $80 tickets without even working for it.
Can't completely disagree with ya I guess....bastard

Old 06-20-2008, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: riegnman

You did the right thing here. "Kill them with kindness" is the key. It's hard, I know. The problem is that cops, (and people in general), that have to do things like that to make themselves feel important are already at a disadvantage. All they know is anger and flying off on someone. When you get smart with them or return the aggression, you are playing right into their hands and they feed off of you.
If you are kind and keep your voice low and even, it psychologically disarms them and they don't know how to proceed. Not to mention that it makes it a lot easier to prove that you were right in the end.

I've been doing therapeutic foster care for nearly 10 years now. Our program is the last step between these kids and jail, bootcamp, residential care, juvenile detention or a mental hospital. I have had around 30 kids come and go and they have all been just like the cop that you described.

They are under the impression that the louder they get means that they have proven their point better. My 10-year-old son has picked up on this and when they start going off, he gets a softer, easier tone to his voice. The easier he gets, the louder they get. Then when it's all over, he walks away with a big grin on his face. It's rather fulfilling to know that you have won an argument without resorting to violence or anger.

Now, I don't agree with the first comment about cops being jerks for the most part. Granted, there are cops that are jerks. I think however, that for the most part, they are people just like me and you that are doing a very difficult job for very little compensation.

ORIGINAL: fbeatty1

Cops are jerks for the most part. I got pulled over doing 5 MPH in a parking lot because my shield was cracked open on the first click. It was a 94 outside and I was going to class (a long while back). A cop had someone else pulled over and yelled "SHIELD!!!!' so I slapped the shield down. He yelled at me to pull over so I did. He then proceeds to yell at the top of his lungs about what I am doing wrong and my $hitty attitude. Now the 4 people in front of the building about 50 feet away hear him and can't believe it.

So i just figured since I already had a ticket, I would push it. He came back over and explained the ticket. I politely signed it and looked him right in the face. I told him, "if you are going to enforce the law, maybe you should obey it...". He got really bent out of shape yelled "what are you talking about". I told him very nicely that the Ray Bans he was wearing were not shatterproof and he was breaking the law. He said they were shatter resistant and I told him the law states they have to be shatterproof. Needless to say, I got told off some more.

A half hour later I reported him to his supervisor. The supervisor kept trying to get me to lose my cool, but I wouldn't. Ten minutes later, Mr. motorcycle cop was called back to the station and giving me an apology...

Sometimes life works out By the way, I took the ticket to court and beat it...
Well that is why I said for the most part. I have met a few (very few) that were decent even keeled. I am not young, but I do look very young. It really bothers me that when I get pulled over the first words are, "Do you know what you were doing boy?" or "Listen son..." in a tone that is either rude and/or condescending. I am not their son or their boy.

I always refer to them as "sir" even if they are younger than I am. I think like begets like. Give someone an attitude and you will get one in return.

I also agree in killing them with kindness. It works. If you keep your cool you will almost always come out on top. If a police officer decides to give me an attitude anymore, I just stay calm and deal with the ticket later. If they are real jerks, then I politely tell them that the situation is going nowhere good or fast and request that their supervisor come to that location if possible.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Shortbuss, you've become such an idiot in my eyes for things of this very nature.

You apply a fair amount of intelligence to most things you say, however every once and a while you're ignorance shows it's ugly face.

Nothing in anything you've told me has anything to do with your constitutional rights ora violation therof - if you needme to explain, in PM, why you are such a tool and aound accordingly, just let me know.

Can't say I care enough to write back though...

P.S. Visors are for eye protection, tool. If you were being the asshat that I'm sure you were, well... forget it. Keep on living your life bro, the world needs smart people who make themseleves sound ignorant, wether it be intentional or otherwise, that's exactly what you've accomplished. Congrats...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Shortbuss, you've become such an idiot in my eyes for things of this very nature.

You apply a fair amount of intelligence to most things you say, however every once and a while you're ignorance shows it's ugly face.

Nothing in anything you've told me has anything to do with your constitutional rights or a violation therof - if you need me to explain, in PM, why you are such a tool and aound accordingly, just let me know.

Can't say I care enough to write back though...

P.S. Visors are for eye protection, tool. If you were being the asshat that I'm sure you were, well... forget it. Keep on living your life bro, the world needs smart people who make themseleves sound ignorant, wether it be intentional or otherwise, that's exactly what you've accomplished. Congrats...
Wow, I should have guessed that the douche bag would break his hiatus just for me. You may not care enough to write back, but you cared enough to be a dick as usual here...and you wonder why I can't stand your ***. That's super that you don't see how it is a fourth amendment violation...unfortunately for me, 6 of 9 supreme court justices agreed with you. This part might be hard for you to comprehend, seeing as how others aren't allowed to have opinions that oppose you, but 3 justices agreed with me. A minority, sure, but the fact that it even made it to the supreme court with a 1/3 support ratio coupled with the ridiculous amount of typos in your childish rant make you look like a pretty big dumbass. You may not see my point, but for some odd reason, my argument had enough validity to make it to the highest court in our nation. If you need help understanding that, don't feel free at all to PM me because I don't want to hear from your ignorant, dramatic ***.

P.S. Thanks for informing me what visors are for. If you weren't so desperate to get to the end of what I wrote just to find a few reasons to knock me, you would have detected my sarcasm and realized that I specifically conveyed that my visor was down the entire time, except when stopped. So tell me, oh condescending one, how is my visor going to protect me when I'm at a complete stop? You sound like the same holier-than-though pig that harassed me and my friends...strange.

P.P.S. I'll bet you care enough to reply to THIS message just the like insecure defensive little queer that you are....

Old 06-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Well, i see it didn't take long for the forum to get back to it's old ways. Welcome back Kid, and congrats-you and shoortbus now have the distinct honor of causing the first locked thread since the forum started working again.