Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cop gone wild - citizen rights

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Mad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cop gone wild - citizen rights

I heard about this today. I pose this for discussion. Should we as citizens just roll over and accept whatever the law is without question? Don't we have a right to question laws that we feel are unjust? Do you think cops enforce only laws they themselves agree with? I understand that most are only trying to enforce laws that someone else wrote and make the country safer. Thoughts??

Video & Story

Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Default RE: Cop gone wild - citizen rights

sorry i hate cops!! once upon a time i wanted to be one 3 reasons 1.speed and high speed chase 2. bend the law 3.shoot some one....and i will probably get **** for it but i dont give a rats *** those are the only reasons i wanted to be cop and then i found out your life is not worth the pay but i have met a few cool cops **** i have 4 friends that are cops but i dont hang out with them and i belive that if they have a bad day (didnt get laid) then they express it to everyone else so i think there personal lifes have a lot to do with the way they will act or wether or not the will cite you my .02cents

Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 AM

I'm giving you a ticket because I did not get laid last night.

Dang it...[&:]

Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM

holy crap just saw the video 2 words "grenade launcher" that will fix just about anything what a dick and ya i should of mentioned to that cop how great last nite was now i got a ticket........ damn it! haha

Old 09-12-2007, 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Mad

I heard about this today. I pose this for discussion. Should we as citizens just roll over and accept whatever the law is without question? Don't we have a right to question laws that we feel are unjust? Do you think cops enforce only laws they themselves agree with? I understand that most are only trying to enforce laws that someone else wrote and make the country safer. Thoughts??

Video & Story

just to let you in on a personal experience of one of my good friends a while back, i'll tell you this story:
about 4 years ago, a buddy of mine was pulled over by nopd for speeding (i believe it was). anyway, he says they were acting kind of "different". cursing him out and so forth right off the bat, told him to get out of the car, sidearm drawn. (threw the cuffs on) so they could search. before they started, they asked him if he had any firearms, yadda yadda. to which he says yes, i've got a loaded .357 in the glove box. they get tense and throw him to the ground, and ask him where are your papers for this? he says he doesn't have any papers for it, but it was purchased legally and is his gun. long story short: they took off with his gun, without any type of reason, and nobody with the pd can find any record of the incident.

a couple things you should know about louisiana state law

1) you are not required to register handguns in LA

2) there are no specific laws regulating the posession of a firearm inside your vehicle.

these particular police officers broke so many laws it's just disgusting. they violated his rights on countless levels. but at the end of the day, NOPD is notorious for murder and fratricide, so he's lucky to have made it home that night.

now of course this was an extreme case and most of us will never see anything quite like it, but the point is, when it comes down to it, the only rights you have are the ones you fight for at the exact moment they are violated. in real life, some magic piece of paper isn't going to give you any kind of protection versus some psychopath in a position of power. the police conduct illegal no-knock search and seizures every day, but when it comes down to getting justice, if you somehow manage to see a badge number, or numbers on the cruiser, or anything at all, while your adrenaline is pumping and you're nervous as hell; it's STILL just your word against his.

like i said, the police can and will do whatever the hell they want.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 AM

Every citizen has the right to challenge the laws they feel are unjust. The problem is 99% think that "challenging the law" means disobeying it and / or pissing and moaning to the officer who is enforcing whatever law they don't agree with. If you don't agree with a certain state or federal law, write your legislators and representatives AFTER you have carefully studied the law and all it's elements so you can make legitimate arguments why it should be changed.

LEO's, in most cases, have discretion on what disposition they will use for certain violations and/ or crimes. Sometimes a written or verbal warning is sufficiant, sometimes a violation citation or an arrest is warranted. All depends on what the community needs are and what directives patrol officers are given as to what type of enforcement to target and give more attention to.

What laws an LEO enforces and what laws he does not generally enforce have nothing to do with whether or not he "got laid" that day. An LEO's discretion is based on a bunch of criteria they have to quickly analyze and decide what the best action is. These are everything from policies/directives, duty assignment, is the violation and violator a continuous problem, would a warning suffice, what crimes the DA is prosecuting and what investigations are a waste of time and taxpayer money, etc. LEO's have to enforce laws they don't wholeheartedly agree with all the time, most of the time the LEVEL of enforcement can be determined by how the violator (of traffic violations particularly) reacts to the contact.

Don't like or agree with a law and WANT to change it, excercise your right and learn how to get it changed. Sit back and bitch because an authority figure wrote you up or hooked you or ruffled your feathers and see how far it gets you.

And this video is what it is........a Sgt. who has lost his ability to control himself when dealing with a little turd out looking for exactly what he got. The Sgt. was in the wrong and should look to other career options. The turd should quit wasting oxygen and go find something productive to do other than baiting cops into a confrontation. This video is not the norm in violator -police contacts, it's the exception IMHO.

coltjester

Old 09-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Writtten laws, like anything else, are open for interpretation. This is what happens when something goes, say to a higher authority (Supreme Court), Where a ruling can be be made on a point of law (for or against) or if a point of law was undetaken within the context of that law.("I needed to bump heads your honor, he was being unruly") These day however, judges are using things like "the spirit of the law". Considering that in the good old days. Solicitors AKA Lawyers, where paid by the word (still are) explains the great gobble gook that most legal documents have. So supposodly we need a higher authority to explain it all to us, the great uneducated mass. (that's why I love, John Lennons "Working Class Hero") Another thing that gets tossed around, is "Natural Justice". I always get a laugh out of that one, wot does it mean? Nature has never been just.
Anyway, in Australia, (& I assume in your country), because of what has been happening all over the world with regard to terrorism, many new laws have been introduced (still many more removed) that the government can use to product us. Last year our federal Government introduced a Sedition law, that is, we can be held (arrested) fined & gaoled, for criticising the government. So for instance, if we where to complain about heavy handedness of police officers, say at a protest rally, it can be ruled as seditious. (If the protest rally was about the government, the option of arresting us was there anyway) Sedition by the way, is what history records as the law the Jesus broke)
So what has happened, many of our rights as citizens are slowly being withdrawn, and replaced with laws that are designed to protect us. Police here can enter your house, arrest you, & hold you almost indefinetly, if they say your one of the bad guys. Ask most people here & they say its a good thing, but its a slippery slide (to an old paranoid like me). This law has not been inacted upon, but brother its there. (Damn I just broke the law!!)
While I have a strong respect for most law officers, thay are by defintion, the instruments of the government, (which in turn, are instruments of us, again the uneducated masses).
Personally I think that police going over the top, are a reflection of society of the time. (Check your historical records on wot the police & government got away with. during the depression) & it happened in most western countries.
Somebody once said "The people get the government they deserve"

Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 AM

ORIGINAL: coltjester

Every citizen has the right to challenge the laws they feel are unjust. The problem is 99% think that "challenging the law" means disobeying it and / or pissing and moaning to the officer who is enforcing whatever law they don't agree with. If you don't agree with a certain state or federal law, write you legislators and representatives AFTER you have carefully studied the law and all it's elements so you can make legitiment arguments why it should be changed.

LEO's, in most cases, have discretion on what disposition they will use for certain violations and/ or crimes. Sometimes a written or verbal warning is sufficiant, sometimes a violation citation or an arrest is warranted. All depends on what the community needs are and what directives patrol officers are given as to what type of enforcement to target and give more attention to.

What laws an LEO enforces and what laws he does not generally enforce have nothing to do with whether or not he "got laid" that day. An LEO's discretion is based on a bunch of criteria they have to quickly analyze and decide what the best action is. These are everything from policies/directives, duty assignment, is the violation and violator a continuous problem, would a warning suffice, what crimes the DA is prosecuting and what investigations are a waste of time and taxpayer money, etc. LEO's have to enforce laws they don't wholeheartedly agree with all the time, most of the time the LEVEL of enforcement can be determined by how the violator (of traffic violations particularly) reacts to the contact.

Don't like or agree with a law and WANT to change it, excercise your right and learn how to get it changed. Sit back and bitch because an authority figure wrote you up or hooked you or ruffled your feathers and see how far it gets you.

And this video is what it is........a Sgt. who has lost his ability to control himself when dealing with a little turd out looking for exactly what he got. The Sgt. was in the wrong and should look to other career options. The turd should quit wasting oxygen and go find something productive to do other than baiting cops into a confrontation. This video is not the norm in violator -police contacts, it's the exception IMHO.

coltjester

agreed 100%

Old 09-12-2007, 01:59 AM

actually i never stated what my opinion was as to what i would actually do.

be as cooperative and respectful to the police officer as you can. do your arguing in court.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: mikeys06cbr600rr

sorry i hate cops!! once upon a time i wanted to be one 3 reasons 1.speed and high speed chase 2. bend the law 3.shoot some one....and i will probably get **** for it but i dont give a rats *** those are the only reasons i wanted to be cop and then i found out your life is not worth the pay but i have met a few cool cops **** i have 4 friends that are cops but i dont hang out with them and i belive that if they have a bad day (didnt get laid) then they express it to everyone else so i think there personal lifes have a lot to do with the way they will act or wether or not the will cite you my .02cents
I hate cops too. I HATE 'm.

I've always wanted to be a cop too back in the days watching Adam 12 and CHiPs.

My two childhood friend took the cop exam, one is now a cop of several years the other didn't have his citizenship at the time.

Cops will stop you for any reasons they can think of. Cops will steal...err...take anything they want too.

As far as telling cops they are wrong about the law, G'Luck. Hopefully he/she won't take you in...in handcuffs...and tag your **** with talking back to an officer.

Back in the '80's here in MN there were strings of Asian gang activities. Needless to say being stop for too many profiling made me want to kill all them cops.

Pulled over for being asian and a teen.

Racial profiling in any sense is just plain wrong.

If you want to say there are good cops and there are bad cops, then all I can say is, there are good asian teens and there are bad asian teens.

If coppers wants to group all the teens together in the same profile well I've learned to hate all cops too...including my friends who are cops and damn all them racist cops that are asianto hell too.

Quick Reply: Cop gone wild - citizen rights