Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

*mutter* New eyes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default *mutter* New eyes

Finally broke down and got contacts after a mild helmet - wardrobe malfunction over the weekend. Sneezed my glasses off while at a light (thankfully). They had survived a year of wear without any adjustment so likely a new pair woulda been tight till next year. But I said **** it and went for contacts. I'm sure my vision insurance plan only covering new glasses every 2 years and a $500 price tag helped too.

Last time I wore contact lenses, the descriptions "Rigid" and "Semi-Gas Permeable" were being tossed around. Now I gotta deal with these Saran Wrap like pieces of plastic that I'm supposed to toss out every 2 weeks

Yes I'm officially getting somewhere near the broad, general vicinity of "Old" now

Wierdness, I keep trying to push my glasses up and going "Oh yeah, not there anymore"

Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glasses suck and so do contacts, I went and had lasik done.......it was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 PM

i had hot anti-freeze melt my contacts to my eyes a few years ago. tore my cornias up. blind for a month. had to get needle injections in my eyes 3 times a day for a week. ill stick to wearing my prescription sunglasses and eye glasses while i ride.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 AM

@dohcdelsol holy sh*t that is insane!

ive been wearing contacts for about 14 years now (10 yrs old?). never liked glasses and both of my parents had contacts when i was growing up. they are a pain at times but i will *NEVER* get lasik surgery. there is no way in hell i could have my eyes cut/operated on. over my dead body. lol

Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 AM

lucky you, im legally blind without my glasses, and cant see well enough to put contacts in myself, and even if i could, they are slightly below the prescription i need.

Also, im not a viable candidate for lasik unfortunately, cuz ive had to wear glasses the last 20 years of my life :-/

Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only put in contacts when riding. I prefer glasses otherwise. My eyesight is actually not that bad.. like .5 or so. I figure I'll get the surgery a few years down the line. I had a buddy who had inch thick glasses, got the surgery and hasn't needed glasses in years.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:27 AM

O
Originally Posted by andyriot
@dohcdelsol holy sh*t that is insane!

ive been wearing contacts for about 14 years now (10 yrs old?). never liked glasses and both of my parents had contacts when i was growing up. they are a pain at times but i will *NEVER* get lasik surgery. there is no way in hell i could have my eyes cut/operated on. over my dead body. lol
It wasn't that bad, I was in and out in half hour with the surgery lasting about 10 min for both eyes. And my mom had glasses most of her life and still was able to get lasik so I don't think there is a time frame limitation.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM

dohcdelsol: I had heard of something like and was putting off buying contact lenses bcos of that.
I was eligible for lasik even after wearing glasses for 22 years, but I decided not to because they said it is not 100% guaranteed in my case since I have astigmatism.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM

good luck i always lose my contacts in my eyes.. Dont know why they move so much..

Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deepak313
dohcdelsol: I had heard of something like and was putting off buying contact lenses bcos of that.
I was eligible for lasik even after wearing glasses for 22 years, but I decided not to because they said it is not 100% guaranteed in my case since I have astigmatism.
I have (had?) astigmatism and the type I had I couldn't get lasik itself but what's called epik. Its the same thing but they do something a little different when it comes to cutting the flap. Anyway, I had a higher probability of needing to get it tweeked, but I came out 20/20 so it wasn't necessary. I also have a lifetime warranty with free checkups for life.

Quick Reply: *mutter* New eyes