Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Movie Downloads

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Movie Downloads

Hey gang,

I have been downloading quite a few movies lately, and unfortunately I've been restricted to only watching them from a computer screen. Granted I have a nice flat screen 22" monitor, but it's a desktop and it's not exactly in a room that's comfortable for watching movies.

I would like to know if any of you guys download movies, and have a way of watching them on your television sets. I've tried burning DVDs through various programs (windows media player, itunes, etc.) but they don't work on my television dvd player. The DVD player for my television is built into the TV itself. I don't know if burned discs will work on it or not. Anyways, can anyone shed the light on burning DVDs, and what programs work the best.

Thanks!

Last edited by regener8ed; 11-15-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Check out a wdtv box. I load stuff onto a thumb drive and plug it into the wdtv box...so far it has converted any type of file to play on the 46" flatscreen. The box cost me around $120 Canadian...so thats like $4 US.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
cost me around $120 Canadian...so thats like $4 US.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i built a dedicated media computer that has a bunch of storage and HDMI video output that i use for movies.

computer case is an Antec Fusion, and i picked the mobo based on its ability to handle a large number of raid drives.
i use a logitech dinovo remote for the mouse/keyboard.

works like a champ!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 PM

So, there's no free way around it. Thanks for your suggestions, I guess I'll just have to stick to watching them on the desktop.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 AM

no no sir there is a very cheap method. You can hook up your desktop to a computer monitor but also a TV monitor at the same time, by using a HDMI cable or VGA cable. As long as your computer has the necessary HDMI and VGA plug ins...you can project your desktop onto a bigger screen (such as a TV).

Laptops work best for this since they are mobile but a desktop is still feasible.

Btw you can use the TV monitor as the sole monitor for your desktop computer.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
i built a dedicated media computer that has a bunch of storage and HDMI video output that i use for movies.

computer case is an Antec Fusion, and i picked the mobo based on its ability to handle a large number of raid drives.
i use a logitech dinovo remote for the mouse/keyboard.

works like a champ!

that is too cool...im drooling

Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
no no sir there is a very cheap method. You can hook up your desktop to a computer monitor but also a TV monitor at the same time, by using a HDMI cable or VGA cable. As long as your computer has the necessary HDMI and VGA plug ins...you can project your desktop onto a bigger screen (such as a TV).

Laptops work best for this since they are mobile but a desktop is still feasible.

Btw you can use the TV monitor as the sole monitor for your desktop computer.
Thats exactly what I do on occasion and its kind of a pain as you have to hook up sound to a receiver. Or if you have a 360 or ps3 (not sure if it works on ps3, I assume it does) you can load the movies onto a thumb drive and play them through that. This method has seemed to work pretty well and the quality isn't too bad either.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Yeah i use a wdtv too and i just have a 500gb harddrive i put all my movies on there that i get from piratebay. My new tv has a usb port right on it but all the hd movies are kind of choppy when i do that and it doesnt support a lot of formats. I used to use my xbox but that only supports mp4's and wmv files with 2 channel audio. So if you have an xbox do that or stream them with windows media player. Is doing anything free these days? (besides our illegally downloaded movies)

Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm the Di Novo is da nuts, nice compact and really slick.

....use mine with a Sony Vaio TP media center pc
on a 46" Mitsubishi LCD .... bring all downloads straight
down via the Vaio to a NAS (networked attached storage device)
with 4, 2 TB Drives running RAID 5.

But like Thrasher said ....... The Western Digital TV box is
a very efficient way to do it quickly and cheaply without having
to use a PC and it supports plenty of common video formats .

Quick Reply: Movie Downloads