Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

motorcyclists waving

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorcyclists waving

So after I got my bike I found out I had WAY more friends than I thought I did! 75% of the bikers that I drive by stick their hand low and wave. Why do they do this? (I wave now to every biker I see). Is it just saying hi to the people that enjoy the sport? Or is it to warn of cops ahead like flashing your brights in a car? Was just curious. Like I said it's not EVERYONE I'd say only about 75% of the people that I ride by.

Something else that doesn't really apply to this topic but I thought I'd just ask anyway, whats the difference between leather jacket and a textile jacket? Is leather better? I have a cortech jacket with some spine protector, albow and forearm protectors, and shoulder protector in it. Are those bad? It was $150. It's also REALLY hot! I even took the liner out of it and sweat like crazy with all the vents open on it. I'm thinking of getting a lighter weight jacket for summer riding. Is that a bad idea protection wise? I saw some guy come into the credit union I work at wearing a sweet looking honda jacket. I didn't get a close look so I don't know if it has all the hard stuff in it but I think I might try to find one in blue.

Mike

**edit**

Also I'm looking to get some gloves. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something smaller like the ones that these guys wear at these stunt shows that everyone posts videos of. Just so you dont scuff up your palms if you wreck (which I'm hoping I don't do but who knows).

Old 07-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Default RE: motorcyclists waving

lol... the wave is just a way to say "hello". if they tap the top of their heads/helmets - that's the sign that a cop is up ahead.

the difference between leather and textile is price and protection. leather is more expensive and offers more protetction when compared to textile. gloves are a good idea. again, go with leather if you can. i wear leather alpinestars but there are tons of brands out there... just do a search and pick something you like. best of luck!

Old 07-09-2006, 10:37 PM

Leather is the best protection you can wear. In the hot summer, like now, I wear a Joe rocket CBR textile jacket and it's much more comfortable, but less protection. It still has the armor in it, but won't hold up to sliding too well. If I plan on riding hard, I wear full leathers no matter how hot it is. As for gloves, look into joe rocket or alpine stars. Also check into some race boots if you don't have a pair already.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 AM

ya i wave at everybike i see ..its kinda cool even when a biker on a harley waves at us guys on sport bikes ..goes to show, it doenst matter what kind bike ur on..as long as ur on two wheels ...good sign of respect

Old 07-10-2006, 03:11 AM

I wave at all the sportbike riders and flip off the Harley riders! Just kidding.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 AM

im about to start flippin off the harley guys lol j/k, seems like half the time i wave to them they just stare me down and dont wave back so i feel stupid but owell. so i only wave if im bein waved at atleast for the harley guys but if someone is on a sport bike ill wave no matter what.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-10-2006, 03:37 AM

Are you running open headers on that? ^ I just noticed your muffler and mid pipe is gone.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:49 AM

I wave at everyone. If they don't wave back whatever, I don't lose sleep over it. As far as gloves go. If you don't mind spending some loot Spidi carbovents. I had a pair and they are sick gloves. When broken in they feel like a second set of skin. They're out of prodution but people still carry them. Now I have the A'star Gp techs. Once broken in they "grew" on me, not as good as the Spidi but they work well. http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/gloves_gptechglove.html

Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 PM

A hand low or pointing to the ground means "hey..." or "yo..."
A hand patting the head means, "Get off the gas, five-oh ahead!"

Leather is better than mesh/textile for abrasion resistance. I'd like to hear more about kagaroo hide myself.
A good pair of leather gloves are better than flesh. I own a leather gauntlet style (over wrist) with abrasion ***** on all knucles and wrist, double velcro straps.
Good prices are found at newenough.com bought all my gear from there and saved alot of money.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 PM

wow i must live in bizarro world, cause in my city i wave to everyone and the only ones that seem to wave back are the oldtimers on harleys or some type of huge cruisers. 95% of the other sportbike riders never wave back.....lol

Quick Reply: motorcyclists waving