Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Related Off Topic

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Related Off Topic

^^^

Well, glad to hear it Jay!! :-)

..I had this horrible picture of you wiping over that beautiful blue petrol tank with a rag soaked in WD40 to make it shine ..lol

Jules

Old 12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I use the WD40 or similar in the ignition because the WD stands for water displacement. The key slot has the little trap door to keep out dirt ... never been a problem before.

I do not use WD40 on the chain. Not because it melts rubber o-rings (x-rings) ... it absolutely will not in two weeks with an o-ring submerged in the stuff deteriorate it in any way. BUT, it can seep under the o-rings and dilute the grease packed in there. Over time you could get a clackety chain. I say 'can' and 'could' because I know too many people that use the stuff as their only chain cleaner and lube with no problems. But I prefer to use kerosene or similar to clean and I lube with STP oil treatment. No kiddin. Used to use 80weight synthetic but the STP stays put even better. Really quiets the normal chain noise quite a bit.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't ride to work this morning, i was deterred by the 21 inches of snow that had fallen over the past 14 hours.....

Old 12-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little trick from living by the mountains for so long...... use a lighter and heat up the end half of your key for a few seconds. It doesn't get it too hot, but it'll open a lock right away.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hoshino

Little trick from living by the mountains for so long...... use a lighter and heat up the end half of your key for a few seconds. It doesn't get it too hot, but it'll open a lock right away.
Ya, tried that ... but seeing as I did not havean acetylene torch handy in the parking lot and the wind was gusting like a **** the lighter was useless [:-]

Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duck under your coat, sir. There should be some sort of cap we could put over the keyslots.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

17deg on my ride in this morning. *Takes deep breath*.......i LOVE my motorcycle! still beats one of those 4 wheeled...things!

i always say.....any day on a 2 wheels is a good day!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
RCR

Ima pussif it gets below 50 my *** has 4 wheels under it. as for rain riding i used too in Seattle but not here in So.cal to many nuts to watch out for cause they don't know how to slow down.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM

i rode daily in the rain here all summer. and thoroughly enjoyed it actually. but im not up for riding in the snow, or on sanded roads....

Old 12-22-2008, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

So I go in and get some hot water and pour it all over. Works like a charm.

Great time for Some useless knowledge , Hot water freezes faster then cold water...

I work at a Powersports Dealer and i pull bikes/quads/and utv's in and out every day, we just use a small map gas torch and blast the key quick.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Related Off Topic