Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Related Off Topic

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Related Off Topic

I use 3-in-1 oil on my locks, not necessarily the bike but the lock on my shed and such... WD40 is a penetrant and not a lubricant, 3-in-1 I found works much better and alot goes a long way.

Winter sucks, I can't wait for Spring already and we are officially only 2 days in... [:'(]

Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: compulady5
Just got to watch out that the cleaner doesn*t eat the rubber.
...Something all guys should worry about.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never had ignition switch troubles or freezes, they have a little cover over them too which should help ..what about using some tape over it in winter if outside as an extra ..also for things like car locks I use a graphite spray which has always kept them functioning ridiculously easy in even the iciest conditions ..

As for my chain I find paraffin, think you guys say kerosene?? ..which brushed on simpy rinses all the dirt and crud off into a bowl I hold below it, let it dry off then relube to taste!! ;-)

I think WD40 can attack O rings on the chain, also its hard on paint finishes so use wisely

Jules

Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 PM

No, WD40 does not do anything to paint except make it shine... all my stunter buddies use WD40 as everything, on the chain, polish their fairings, as a lubricant and penetrant, for everything!! But not me, I prefer to use a special chemical compound made by Motorex called motorcycle chain cleanerand it works wonders with the Grunge Brush I got, w/o me having to dry out the o-rings and everything!! I think it is similar to brake cleaner, but even that has to do something bad to the o-rings in the chain... then you let it dry and lube it back up with good ol` Chain Wax... yummy!!

Brush:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/The-G...QQcmdZViewItem

Chain Cleaner:
http://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchan..._Code=36200002

Chain Wax:
https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/mercha...;Category_Code=

Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM

dang its been getting about 4F-9F in the mornings. about 24F-34F High in the daytime.. Bike has been put away for the last month. cage livin' for me.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 PM

I here ya, I'm starting to lose my mind, 15 degrees out, 0 degree w/ wind chill. EVERYTHING is covered in ice. I think I'm going to put my bike in my room so I can sit on it and play Moto GP. Maybe that will help?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Jay, WD40 makes paint and most surfaces shine when you apply it with a rag as its a shiny oily residue ..its with repeated use like this that when you clean it all off, the surface below has degraded somewhat and looks flat and dull unless you apply more WD40 or as I prefer just keep surfaces polished :-)

Jules

Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM

ever heard of armor all?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Juliet

Jay, WD40 makes paint and most surfaces shine when you apply it with a rag as its a shiny oily residue ..its with repeated use like this that when you clean it all off, the surface below has degraded somewhat and looks flat and dull unless you apply more WD40 or as I prefer just keep surfaces polished :-)

Jules
I believe ya, babes... It*s not something that I do, my stunter buddies do it... but then they do mostly everything wrong, lol.

I use nothing but Honda Polish on my baby... only the best!!

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Related Off Topic