Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Related Off Topic

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motorcycle Related Off Topic

As long as I feel like it, which is most of the time, I ride to work. A bad day on a bike beats a good day in a cage. Even if it is forecast to rain ... as long as I get either the going or coming back home part dry I still ride. So yesterday I rode into work. A bit of a blustery day but no clouds to be seen and a balmy 55 degrees. Going home proved tricky because we had thunderstorms hit right as I got off work at 5:30am. Made it home in one piece and relatively dry. My jacket and winter riding pants do a good job repelling water.

Go to bed thinking 'oil the chain (not me, my actual chain). Get up, grab a bite and I clean and oil my chain. But I forgot something. Hmmm what could it be that I forgot?

Anyway, I ride into work last night and the rain was gone. Wind had dried the roads nicely but at a price. Was 38F when I left the house and they were calling for 22F this morning for my ride home. What did I forget? Nothing came to mind but I knew I had forgotten something.

Had a reasonably crappy night at work. The crap going on here did not help ... but that is the subject for another thread and another day. And I will admit the weather guy was spot on. Was 21.5F at 5:30am this morning. Suited up and walked out. Knew the battery was in good shape cause I had planned for the cold ... trickle charged. Approach my bike and begin talking nice to it (ya, I really do that). Insert key into ignition and turn, er, wait a second ... I did not put any WD40 in the ignition after the rain and now I have an ignitioncicle. Just lovely. Borrowed a buddys cig lighter but the damn wind was whipping up and I could not keep it lit. So I go in and get some hot water and pour it all over. Works like a charm. Key turns, bike fires up and all is well. Except by this time my gloves were ice cold ... and my fingers.

So get home a bit ago and I could not turn the key off. Ice is literally mounded up to the plastic part of the key where the wind forced it up. So hit the kill switch and run inside for, you guessed it, more hot water (ancient Chinese secret, eh?). Only this time once I removed said stuck key I immediately WD40'd the bastard. Ya, no more nice talk for that bitch today ...

Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motorcycle Related Off Topic

I'm a fowl weather rider too, it's only 20 miles to work and the bike makes it better. 28 here this morning but bone dry and winds ~10 mph. 38 for the high this afternoon.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM

According to a locksmith, WD-40 is bad for the locks. It leaves a sticky residue that attracts dust, which is detrimental to the locks and will eventually lead to the tumblers to jamming up and breaking. It is recommended that locks are cleaned with isopropyl alchohol, dried thoroughly and then lubricated with graphite (dry powder, I believe).

Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 AM

But our locks get water in them, it seems that different rules would apply.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something to consider. It's been sub freezing here for weeks with the occassional break where it gets in the 30's, and I ride every day, but never had any problems with my ignition. I'll pay more attention to it though now that I have read this.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 AM
VP

It is cold as ***** outside Chain...this weather is a real turn off for me to jump on the bike...every now and then I get the urge that overcomes the weather but not this week!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 AM

In -25 degrees, WD-40 will freeze within 20 minutes. Maybe use a teflon based spray instead.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 AM

i wish i even could ride in this cold weather. The ice and snow and mounds of dirt in the middle of the lanes would disagree with that idea

Im going to go hibernate til spring...brb

Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't envy you guys - we don't have the levels of cold here that you do, or our own Highlands get, around -10C or so. Riding to work here is only decided on the basis of whether you're prepared to get wet, or not...... I get wet.........38C here today, midsummer, road temp around 44C - uncomfortable in full gear. Wear it anyway.
Probably the best all around weather you could ask for as a biker.
Maybe a blob of waterproof grease on your ignition would be an option Gregg - I carry a film canister full for emergencies.........

Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 AM

It was 26 this morning, and that's about as cold as it ever gets.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Related Off Topic