Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Armor Vs Textile Jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shift has their avenger on sale for 100... thats wat ive been leanin towards for a while

idk wife doesnt allow me to spend money on my bike lol

Old 03-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scorpion Hat trick can be found several places for sub $90 - and it is a nice 3 season jacket once you zip in all the liners.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM

I like my Shift Avenger jacket. Shift seems to run longer sleeves than some of the other brands I've tried (like tourmaster...which to get sleeves long enough, both my wife and I fit in the body). The also often run clearance sales that can save you like 50%.
www.shiftracing.com
they are either the same company or a sister company to Fox racing.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
I like my Shift Avenger jacket. Shift seems to run longer sleeves than some of the other brands I've tried (like tourmaster...which to get sleeves long enough, both my wife and I fit in the body). The also often run clearance sales that can save you like 50%.
www.shiftracing.com
they are either the same company or a sister company to Fox racing.
Fox and Shift are the same company. Fox is the offroad division and Shift the street division

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
I think at 30mph your not gonna do alot of sliding in a fall.
You would be unpleasantly surprised then.

Originally Posted by __Z__
shift has their avenger on sale for 100... thats wat ive been leanin towards for a while

idk wife doesnt allow me to spend money on my bike lol

SHow her pictures of motorcycle road rash to change her mind.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
You would be unpleasantly surprised then.

SHow her pictures of motorcycle road rash to change her mind.
+ a million. That's an easy guilt trip to lay out. Lol

Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Body armor is good, I have it it all my jackets (3) summer, winter & friggin freezing. Unfortunately in an 'Off' you can't choose the parts of your body of your body that will hit the deck 1st or the type of surface that your going to hit. Everyone I think, has the impression that when it happens, it will be like the guys racing & you will either slide on your **** or on your stomach, come to a nice controlled skid, then just pick yourselves up.
Most that I have witnessed, been told about & been involved in, you roll, then slide & depending on how fast your going, maybe roll some more, you flop around like a rag doll.
If your lucky you come to a stop without either being run over or hit something (as in my case, a telegraph pole). The worst injuries (apart from broken bones) that I have seen, have been to hands & feet, even with gloves & boots. As has been said, armor is just to protect the more 'valuable' body parts, your helmets only there for an impact & its amazing how quickly the visor & shell can get worn down sliding along a bitumen road.
Good riding gear is only to minimise injuries, it will never replace riding safe.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
__Z__, I am for one , a person that does take some risks. Bear Grylls didnt become famous sitting on his couch! Back on topic.....For short rides I dont see a problem, but bro you have been here long enough to know that 90% of the people here will look down on you for anything other than a jacket.....To many what ifs. Sometimes i would rather get road rash then heat exaustion or heat stroke..... If you cant make it 4 miles from your house on city roads (menus NY type cab roads) then maybe a bike should be motorless and have pedals....
Can't look down on wanting some protection I'd feel more comfortable riding naked than riding without my jacket. At least traffic would stop, wondering "WTF?!?" and I'd have clear roads But while my ride to work is just as short, most of it is on I95 and well above 30 mph.

If going the body armor route tho, I'd say don't forget elbow protection. Even at 30 mph, the arms flailing roll is gonna slam the elbow down on the pavement at least once. He is gonna have one problem tho:

Even if Zach finds pink body armor, nobody will see it under his hoodie

Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM

you might want to try leatherup.com also

Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Scorpion Hat trick can be found several places for sub $90 - and it is a nice 3 season jacket once you zip in all the liners.
do you know where to find these???
personally ive became a fan for scorpion gear.... the helmet exceeded my expectations. i just love it.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Armor Vs Textile Jacket?