Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

MotoGP CRT

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MotoGP CRT

I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys on this new Motogp CRT class that they developed this year. Is it just me or did everyone see this coming? I watched the first race of the season in high hopes of this actually working...but after the finish and all the CRT's kinda of getting smoked, I can't say I was surprised... Does anyone have an idea of why they thought this would be a good idea? I could see if they were going to call it two different classes running at this same time like cars do, but there is no broadcast of the CRT's during the race at all (maybe a couple glimpses). Any thoughts?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM

for me i have no idea what crt is, but id like to know if someone cares to explain

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CRT is an acronym for Claiming Rules Team. It's a new endeavor for the top class in MotoGP that allows teams to enter bikes. There's a plethora of rules involved but the main rules are that the bikes have to have production-based 1000cc motors w/ prototype chassis. That means custom frames, suspension, etc. They are called Claiming Rules because any other manufacturer can buy or "claim" one of the CRT bikes after a bike to inspect it for like 60,000 Euros or so to make sure they're not cheating with a beyond spec motor.

The primary reason for the CRT bikes is to fill out the grid a bit and allow lower-budget hopefuls into the premier class. With the withdrawal from Kawasaki then Suzuki we were looking at a 3-manufacturer grid with 17 or so bikes and the company who controls the broadcasting and major PR for MotoGP were afraid it would be too barren and boring.

And yeah, it was a terrible idea. The MotoGP grid has suffered from even fewer bikes out there before and survived. I like that they're trying to allow lower budget teams a chance, but let's face it, there are other racing leagues for that. IMO, that last race in Portugal was boring regardless of how many moving pylons they had out there.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 PM

I think they thought it would work because they had no idea what exactly goes into a prototype machine. I imagine the board of members who thought up of this idea don't ride and don't have the faintest when it comes to motorcycle racing. A $100,000 bike vs. a $1,000,000 bike? Jeez... not to mention that with the smaller budget comes the limitations on the "talent" you're able to afford.

Yeah, the last GP race was kinda boring and it's been on a steady down slope, but it's like what F1 was back in the day before all the balance fixing rules... each manufacturer producing the best machine they can possibly make and having these nutjob pilots voluntarily putting their lives on the line in the name of a spectacle.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM

well i think in those two posts you have said everything that i have been thinking but had no one with any sense to talk about it with...motogp is such a big sport here lol. i wasnt sure what they were thinking but it looks like they werent. i dont understand where they went wrong..the moto2 and moto3 is as exciting as daytona sportbike in the fact that even in the last lap anyone can win. i cant stand watching another stoner.lorenzo.pedrosa or hayes.young.hayden podium. lets just hope for the future that the crt changes motogp racing for the better.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Moto2 and Moto3 tests the riders/crew on pretty similar spec bikes and MotoGP as it stands seems to test wallet sizes. It's tough because of WSBK. You want MotoGP to be distinct from it, but still tame it to a point where the biggest budget doesn't necessarily mean easiest win.

And don't get me wrong, I don't want to take anything away from the top guys like Stoner, Lorenzo, and Pedrosa (and maybe Ben Spies if him and his crew can get their minds into the game)... they're all amazingly talented. I agree, let's hope CRT or something in the near future can make things more interesting.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

crt rules are essentially: 1000cc of displacement with no bore being bigger dia of 81mm. maximum of 4 cylinders. 12 engines alloted. 24 liters of fuel.

so if someone exploits those rules - which they're doing, the motor alone will be a far cry from anything what is "factory" to us.

but still, i love the fact that honda has a 5 cylinder v motor with a sequential gear box. i mean, imagine if F1 said you had to use production motors from cars and had some silly rules to allow some modifications.

it's a horrible idea, but look at the FIM. they feel like they're sinking, they saw some excitement in moto2, and figured, hey, what the hell? lets make that motogp and see if that saves us from going under.

when if they actually thought about it, i'm sure they would have voted against it. time will tell. but if honda walks, and audi doesn't convince audi to make duacti race, and some of the top riders go away, it'll be a disaster.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Well thanks for the feedback guys, it definately looks like I'm not the only one out there that understands what they were going for but didn't see it happening in the platform they did it in. Only time will tell whats to happen with the stale racing in that class....

Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

and if they get that moto2 excitement in motogp, it'll take away from moto2.

you watch motogp for the absolute fastest 2 wheeled vehicles on the planet, and then moto2 for the best racing. they both thrive. if you make them the same concept, you take certain elements away from both classes.

the prototype technology, limited grids, world's best riders create a die hard fan base, and that's where the real money is at in motogp - filling the grids by making it easier for lesser teams to enter the field wont do a thing imho

Quick Reply: MotoGP CRT