Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

meanstrk down and will not be riding for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default meanstrk down and will not be riding for a while.

Well, what can I say? Life just gets ya sometimes!
I have been laying in my hospital bed reflecting on the past few years, what I've done with my family, how my son has become an excellent rider, and how I have improved in many ways as well. Coming to the end of a long Marine Corps career and beginning a new life here......
I can't complain too much my friends. Sometimes, **** just happens.
In this case, the **** that happened was that we went out tearing up some trails and while I was setting up for a left, I got slammed from the rear by Nick on the quad. He is always out to beat the old man and had a bad habit of following close, and on trail riding, that crap just don't cut it. I did not even know he was there actually, since I thought he was further back from me. I knew before I hit the ground that my left knee was screwed, but I did not know just how bad it really was yet. I asked Nick if he could still ride and told him to go get the truck, since I knew I was not going to be riding anywere. I was hoping for just a couple breaks at the most figuring that 6 weeks would cover the down time, but the reality is worse. What I ended up with was a severe dislocation of the left knee. If the knee is suppose to look like this:
----------O----------- with the femur to the left and tibia and fibula to the right, what I ended up with was this.....
________O-----------

I had no breaks at all and they got the bones set back in socket last night, but the biggest issue is that all the ligaments that hold the knee together are shot to hell and all torn. I don't know yet to what extent they are destroyed, but the MRI from earlier should show everything well. The docs were worried about arterial tearing as well, but I got lucky there and had none of that.
My biggest worry is that the trip to Norway for my new job is out the window, but after talking to my boss today (His wife is colleague's with my Doctor) he ensures me that this is not going to be a worry. We can still get set up and start up the facility so long as I can get around. Course, Donna may be driving me around for a bit.
For the moment though, I am hoping to get released some time on Monday and then we will just go from there. Long road to recovery ahead of me, but I still hope to at least be about to get to CMP for some bench racing in October and to see all my track bros again! I was really looking forward to getting the new track bike out there too, but that one is on another back burner as well. Sure as hell, the next trip to the mountains is on hold indefinitely too.
**** happens..........

Old 08-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: meanstrk down and will not be riding for a while.

That's quite a story, hope you get better soon. I guess it's a good thing that you didn't break anything though.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A break would have been better than ligament damage. Breaks heal over time, whereas this will probably NEVER be 100% again.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:52 PM

good luck with that, hope you have a speedy recovery.. Its a shame to let all those bikes in your sig sit

Old 08-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heal up, hope to hear good news soon.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM

sorry to hear that man. knee damage is a b*tch but at least u have ur leg still.
hope to hear good news and keep us posted
Jonbrown

Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 AM

i have felt your pain. I think the worse thing is when your leg gets restless and you want to move it, stretch the muscles, etc and every time you go to move it ever so slightly the pain reminds you why you are restless.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you recover 100%

Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Mad

Sorry to here that. Looks like the kid has finally beat the ole man. [sm=smiley14.gif] Seriously, rest and get better.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 AM

dman man, sorry to hear this, stay up! your right **** happens but so does good ****.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Retired Moderator

Awww ****, Ron. Sorry to hear about the accident, but I appreciate your possitive attitude. You are a no nonsense guy, and I guess you realize there is nothing that canbe done but get better. Glad to hear your son wasn't hurt, too.

Quick Reply: meanstrk down and will not be riding for a while.