Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Me New, license/permit questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me New, license/permit questions

i have 4 questions. i live in cali and i am 20.

1. do u need a permit/license to ride in a parking lot?

2. if i had a permit can i ride alone in the streets and to work???

3. do all of u ride with a license???

4. if i take that course u talk about can i go with just my helmet and gloves or do they make u ware everything for the riding part?

Thank You Vary much if u can answer these for me, James.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Me New, license/permit questions

whats up james ! welcome , what part of cali u live in ? anyways to answer ur questions the best i can
1. i think so unless its on private property then i dont think it matters

2. yes you can , just not @ night, on the freeways or with a passenger

3. i cant speak for everyone else but i only have my permit and i rdie everywhere (even @ night and on the freeways yea yea i know but i cant help it hahah)

4. i assume ur talking about the MSF course.. i havent taken it yet but you should wear a jacket just incase u fall it will help some . but i doubt they make u dress in full leathers just for the safety course lol

hope i was of some help

Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 AM

OK I guess I'll chime in as well - based on the laws in Michigan (to the best of my knowledge):

1) You need a permit/license to LEGALLY ride in any public place (even parking lots).
2) Once you have your permit, you need to ride under the supervision of a licensed rider (whether he or she is on a bike or following in a cage, either or is OK). You're not allowed to ride at night or with a passenger however until you get your license. Freeway riding is OK as long as your babysitter is along with you!
3) YES I have a state endorsed license. I didn't always follow their rules and regulations when it came to the permit, but I tried I never abused it though... I rode quite sparingly until I got my license.
4) They ask you to wear a long sleeved shirt and boots in addition to gloves and a helmet. I took the class in August (a few years back) so they didn't require us to wear a jacket - way too hot. You're not riding at skin-graft speeds so you'd be OK without a jacket, but feel free if you'd like.

Once again, these are the laws in Michigan. Your best bet, if you want to know for sure, would be to contact the DMV in your state and see if they have any publications for motorcycle riders. The Michigan Secretary of State (which handles all operators licenses in our state) has a nice little guide that's really handy for all riders: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/moopman_16311_7.pdf

See also: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...889---,00.html

Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Thank you both of u for ur time and help. time to get my permit. and i live in san diego...not really, el cajon.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:50 PM

Hi james007torres24,
to answer #4 question..it is just as jjkukla discribed (but don't forget to wear jean pants)
I just took this course about six months ago out here in Cali LA area..cool thing about taking this course is that you don't have to take the riding test at the DMV and you learn a thing or two. I was riding for about year before I got my permit then I waited till the last minute to take the course cause my permit was about to expire. I was just out there in El Cajon 2 weeks ago.....lots of chicks out there..

4) They ask you to wear a long sleeved shirt and boots in addition to gloves and a helmet. I took the class in August (a few years back) so they didn't require us to wear a jacket - way too hot. You're not riding at skin-graft speeds so you'd be OK without a jacket, but feel free if you'd like.

By the way GO RAIDERS!!!! [8D] monday night football

Old 09-12-2006, 01:18 AM

To be honest I think it would be wise to get your permit and then sink 235 on the MSF course. Once you pass that course it waives the CA DMV driving test. Plus you walk away with some know how and skill to ride. I am going through the MSF instructor course now so soon I will be running some courses here in ORANGE COUNTY area.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 AM

Putting in my 2 cents.

1) unless you are on private property, YOU NEED A PERMIT.
2) With a permit, you can ride on the streets, just not the freeway or with a passenger.
3) I rode without a license for 6 months until I got in the MSF course.
4) MSF was the best course I ever took. The only requirement was full face helmet, long pants, long sleeves, gloves.

After riding without my lisence or even a permit for that matter, I took the course and learned so much! It made me a better rider, no doubt.

I almost hate to say this but going to anyways...IF YOU ARE GOING TO RIDE, TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN THE RIGHT WAY!

Inexperienced riders make it harder for everyone else. Plus, I take it personally, as a female rider, that I could get my license and the boys can't or won't.

Just IMHO- Cat