Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

May '08 is motorcycle awareness month

Old 04-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default May '08 is motorcycle awareness month

saw this on a local news website. i hope the word spreads and people begin watching out for motorcyclists as they begin brushing off the dust and getting out and riding. i of course collected no dust .

May is Motorcycle Awareness Month
4/15/2008

One out of every nine U.S. road fatalities accounted for last year involved motorcycle riders. This steady increase in fatalities over the past decade represents one of our Nation’s greatest challenges.
Motorcycle fatalities now account for 11 percent of total road fatalities and have increased each year from a low of 2,116 in 1997 to 4,810 in 2006. So while there has been continued success in reducing vehicle deaths in recent years, this progress is being negatively affected by the rise in motorcycle fatalities which has more than doubled
In order to help encourage drivers to “Share the Road,” federal, State and local highway safety, law enforcement, and motorcycle organizations proclaim May 2008 as “Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.” All motorists are reminded to safely “Share the Road” with motorcycles and to be extra alert when driving to help keep motorcyclists safe.
Motorcyclists are much more vulnerable than passenger vehicle drivers in the event of a crash. Research shows that approximately 80 percent of motorcycle crashes injure or kill a motorcycle rider, while only 20 percent of passenger car crashes injure or kill a motor vehicle driver or passenger.
Here are several important tips for drivers to help keep motorcyclists safe on our roadways:
Remember: a motorcycle is a vehicle with all of the rights and privileges of any other motor vehicle on the roadway. Always allow a motorcyclist the full lane width—never try to share a lane;
Always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections;
Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic;
Don’t be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is going to turn before you proceed;
Remember that road conditions that are minor annoyances to other vehicles pose major hazards to motorcyclists; Allow more following distance, three or four seconds, when following a motorcycle, so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency. And don’t tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.
Motorcyclists have responsibilities, too, by following the rules of the roadway, being alert to other drivers, and always wearing DOT-compliant helmets and protective gear.
All too often after a crash, the drivers of other vehicles involved say they never saw the motorcyclist and were unable to respond in time. This is no excuse. Too many crashes are occurring and too many lives are being lost.
Get involved and take the necessary precautions that will help make this the first year in recent years when motorcycle fatalities do not increase. Do your part by safely “Sharing the Road” with motorcycles

Old 04-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: May '08 is motorcycle awareness month

+1 Good looking out Jaynd. I'm stationed on an AFB and every year we have a huge motorcycle safety, and awreness program that we invite the entire base and local community to, just to spread the knowledge of motorcycle riding and the dangers involved. I think this educates the local community about motorcycle riders and feel that the surrounding area is a bit safer because of it. Unfortunately, not everyone attends, so we'll always have to keep em' peeled. Good luck and safe riding.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 AM

people just dont see us i even have super blue/ green headlights..how do you not see a bright breen glow coming twoards you?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: jaynd
i of course collected no dust .
mine is still collecting dust at the shop [:@]