Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Man that would have sucked

Old 03-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Man that would have sucked

So im driving off base and there are railroad tracks right before the intersection. I downshift once right before i go over the tracks at about 10mph then i hit the gas once cleared of the railroad and i pulled a small wheelie through part of the intersection. I TOTALLY thought i was in second gear and this was 100% unintentional but it got me thinking. What if a cop had seen me and pulled me over for it? I doubt he would believe my story so i would get a ticket and then i would have to go to court over it? Man that would suck. Has anyone else ever had a massive brain fart/accident like this?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Many. many years ago I did an unintentional wheelie from a stoplight on an enduro dirt bike. Some jackass had just turned left on red light right in front of me when my light turned green. I was pissed and I guess I hit the throttle a bit harder than I normally would and the front end came up.

A rookie cop saw me do it and stopped me and gave me a ticket for the wheelie and speeding (I wasn't), plus a written warning for a broken speedo cable. I asked him why he hadn't gone after the joker who ran the red light and caused everything in the first place and he said because he came after me instead.

I was in Miami on vacation and headed to Key West from St. Louis and I didn't have the resources to come back and fight it in court a few weeks later. I think the total cost was less than $100. I plan to get my money's worth out of some public structure someday when I go back through that area. That was over 30 years ago.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember when I picked up my wifes 636. We had bought it from a friend who had done quite a bit of work to it. exhaust, intake, tuning, gearing.. ect. I was driving it home and had just gotten to the end of his road. I pulled out and gave it some gas. the front end came up really fast. I wasn't expecting it since every 600 class bikes I ever rode had to be hammered to get the front up, so it was a really big suprise that half throttle was lifting the front. Well, I decided to carry it a bit since it was up already anyway. I just sat it down because a corner was coming up. Just as I set it down, a cop comes around the corner. He hits his brakes and follows me for about 3 miles. Then he whips around and goes the other way.

After that, the only thing going through my mind was " how am I going to give this thing to my wife?" I detuned it and put everything back to stock on it before giving it to her, which made a big difference. I still can't beleive how quick that bike was the way it was set up before I put it all back to stock. I did take a few more spirited rides though before I did it.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
So im driving off base and there are railroad tracks right before the intersection. I downshift once right before i go over the tracks at about 10mph then i hit the gas once cleared of the railroad and i pulled a small wheelie through part of the intersection. I TOTALLY thought i was in second gear and this was 100% unintentional but it got me thinking. What if a cop had seen me and pulled me over for it? I doubt he would believe my story so i would get a ticket and then i would have to go to court over it? Man that would suck. Has anyone else ever had a massive brain fart/accident like this?

which base????
when i was at cherry point there was intersection with the railroad tracks like that.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never got the front end up enough for anyone to notice (intentionally). I have accidentally slipped the rear in a turn which was a lot more noticable. Figured I'd just say I hit some sand or something if popped

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I have accidentally slipped the rear in a turn which was a lot more noticable. Figured I'd just say I hit some sand or something if popped
Popped for what?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
Popped for what?
Whèn in doubt there's the old cop fallback: Wreckless Driving

Old 03-13-2011, 01:37 AM

excessive acceleration, you dont have to be speeding to get a ticket. and i hear some places if you rev you get a ticket for display of horsepower or some b.s. like that.

personally it has never happened to me, although perhaps in time it may. sometimes i dont even realize its happening and i suppose if they saw me then i would get the book. that and with 2 up mid second gear it comes up way to easy.

your kinda hard pressed to win i would think if you have been endorsed for a while. i mean it only takes a couple thousand miles and you pretty much know the bike, if you've had the sportbike a while odds are you know when it is going to wheelie.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by revilingfool
excessive acceleration, you dont have to be speeding to get a ticket.
In my case the cop said that he had paced me and that I was speeding. That was total BS, since I was already stopped at a gas station and off the bike and had removed my helmet by the time he pulled into the lot. When I said that I had not been speeding in the one block from the stop light to the gas station but that my speedo cable was broken he gave me a written warning for that. Just some rookie trying to make points with his captain back at the station to let him know he was on the job.

As I said, I fully intend to get my money's worth (and a little bit more) out of some public structure if I ever go through the Miami area again.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by revilingfool
excessive acceleration, you dont have to be speeding to get a ticket. and i hear some places if you rev you get a ticket for display of horsepower or some b.s. like that.
Ya... A cop used the excessive acceleration one once on me to check if I was legal... in my gf's VW Beetle.

I'm usually pretty mindful of my surroundings so I notice cops pretty quick. But sometimes I do worry about getting that one cop who just doesn't understand somethings done on a motorcycle isn't grandstanding.

It's necessity to keep the rubber side down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Man that would have sucked