Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Making turns from a stop

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making turns from a stop

So, something finally clicked memory-wise about my crash. I realized I had the handlebars turned to set up for the 90 degree or so turn out of my driveway.

I further realized I've done this twice before on the ninja and each time ended up running wide/not making the turn.

How's best to set up for a sharp turn from a dead stop? I understand how to lean without turning handlebars while actually moving, but something about doing it from a stop has been hampering me.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

well if you are at a dead stop you shouldn't be leaning to turn you should just turn the handle bars.

*edit* P.S. Let's play WoW together sometime :P

Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

LOL!

OK, so how do I do the turn in a manner calculated NOT to break my leg?

I haven't been playing lately >< Been studying- just passed my VMWare certified professional exam, thank god.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:15 PM

From a dead stop I use the clutch to help control my speed. Seeing how you got hand on throttle and feet on ground. I just Throttle up to get enough speed so I put feet up, at that point I start to lean.

I think, I have never really thought out the mechnics.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 PM
July 2008 ROTM

You have to turn and lean the bike through the turn, but keep your body straight up - basically leaning in the opposite direction. And look where you want to go.

If you bug me enough I'll make a video

Edit: Watch this guy's body positioning and handlebars when he makes tight, slow turns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in3_aJbpkA0

Last edited by Aken; 08-30-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

OK- so just like the first half of a u-turn then. Thanks

Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aken
You have to turn and lean the bike through the turn, but keep your body straight up - basically leaning in the opposite direction. And look where you want to go.

If you bug me enough I'll make a video
Hey I remember this from today! (the BRC)

They called it Counterweighting. Letting the bike lean into the turn while you lean your upper body to the outside of the turn. To emphasize it, they had us push down on the outside peg

Originally Posted by Aken
Edit: Watch this guy's body positioning and handlebars when he makes tight, slow turns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in3_aJbpkA0
Holy chit! **** a wheelie! I wanna be able to do that!

Last edited by Kuroshio; 08-30-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Yeah, I guess what throws me off is I've only ever practiced u-turns from a moving start, not a stop. I see some parking lot time in my future.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Hey I remember this from today! (the BRC)

They called it Counterweighting. Letting the bike lean into the turn while you lean your upper body to the outside of the turn. To emphasize it, they had us push down on the outside peg
Yup. If any of you have ever dropped your bike because you came to a stop quickly while your handlebars were turned or your weight was slightly to one side, you'll know first-hand that the bike will IMMEDIATELY want to keep it's momentum going in that direction. Counter-weighing your body weight will keep the bike from wanting to dive into the turn (because you don't have enough momentum to keep the bike wanting to go straight), allowing the handlebars/throttle to do the dirty work.

Pushing down on the peg can be a good way to help enforce the idea, but not great in practice. Pushing down on the peg can force the bike to lean farther to that side (you are pushing down on part of the bike, after all). So you just have to be careful that it doesn't push you wider than you intended.

If you want to practice this kind of thing (anybody, not just Elfing), I definitely recommend getting some cones or anything to act as cones, and find an empty parking lot to practice. Even people who have been riding for a while, it can be a great refresher (and fun if you're like me).

Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Elfling
LOL!

OK, so how do I do the turn in a manner calculated NOT to break my leg?

I haven't been playing lately >< Been studying- just passed my VMWare certified professional exam, thank god.
VMWARE is the bomb. Congrats on the pass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making turns from a stop