Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Magic Jack

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Jack

Anyonetried magic jack? Im thinking of getting two of them. One for my wife in Iraq and one for me when i travel to foreign countries.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Magic Jack

It could work for that purpose. A co-worker of mine has it and says that it's NOT a replacement for an actual land line, but used every once and a while is okay. He says there's a lot of static interference with his though.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 PM

thanks bro

Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 AM

I bought two of them and sent one to Australia to my mother inlaw and father inlawthey call my land line in the state all the time withno problems. I have not done anythings with second one just sitting on the computer.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Doog: Have her ask her Comunications section if it would work first. (Your Comm folks over here at CONUS should know too)
If she is going to plug it into one a military computer, it goes through so many filters (especially over at the CENTCOM AOR) that it might be a moot point. Remember they resttrict access to a lot of websites/ web services over there, and they are cracking down on USB devices lately (at least in the USAF side of the house)

However, I think on some systems over there VOIP is allowed (like SKYPE) so it might work. If it does work it would be a GREAT idea.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteDealershipRice

Doog: Have her ask her Comunications section if it would work first. (Your Comm folks over here at CONUS should know too)
If she is going to plug it into one a military computer, it goes through so many filters (especially over at the CENTCOM AOR) that it might be a moot point. Remember they resttrict access to a lot of websites/ web services over there, and they are cracking down on USB devices lately (at least in the USAF side of the house)

However, I think on some systems over there VOIP is allowed (like SKYPE) so it might work. If it does work it would be a GREAT idea.
I am a Communications NCO as well. You are correct about the USB disable, however for one, I think the its only for storage devices. Either way, I had one of my guys reate me a file that edits the registry,and allows us access to those ports. Either way, we were planning to use her personal computer. They have some sort of internet service that allows her to have it in her room for $100 a month. I really think it should work. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM

In that case I think its a great idea, For some reason it is a lot easier to get internet access than phone access down there, and nothing beats being able to hear Family's voices on a regular basis while deployed.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Dreamland communications set up the Internet service in the sandbox nobody else wanted to tackle it not AT&T or Sprint doog the servers are overloaded and slow but the Internet does work as of September to my knowledge magic Jack did not work in the sandbox this included Kuwait Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan as well as Iraq itself maybe things have changed but as cheap as they are it's worth a shot

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

Dreamland communications set up the Internet service in the sandbox nobody else wanted to tackle it not AT&T or Sprint doog the servers are overloaded and slow but the Internet does work as of September to my knowledge magic Jack did not work in the sandbox this included Kuwait Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan as well as Iraq itself maybe things have changed but as cheap as they are it's worth a shot
Cool, thanks bro. I ordered 2 the other day. I can still use one so i can be contacted locally when I do my traveling. I knew I should have asked you first.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Retired Admin

I have had it for about a year....works GREAT! No issues yet...started out with some static but that was my system not the jack...you need broadband and an open USB port...also your PC will need to be on for it to operate. Otherwise a great buy! I paid 39.95 for the first five years....not sure if they have that same deal but my phone is paid for the next 4 years....

Quick Reply: Magic Jack